All Mountain Tyres

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
26" Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4 WT 3C EXO

Jesus that's a mouthful... anyone know where I can get the tyre refered to above? I just got the same but in dual compound rather than 3C to run on the front (with a minion SS out back) and the first fast corner I came to on hard pack dirt, I ended up on my face. The tyre refused the grip and just pushed straight.

Surprised the shit out of me as i wasn't really asking much of it. I might have had a few PSI too many in it but still surprised it let go like that. I'm thinking it was too big of a jump to go from a super tacky DHF to dual compound...

Maxxis website says they make the tyre in 3C max terra but can find it at mountain bikes direct, pushys, or TBE. Any other thoughts?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Jesus that's a mouthful...
If you want to get pedantic, you forgot the 'Maxx Terra', I think that's all that comes in the WT variant?

Ah no, you got it in at the end.

edit: looks like they are sold out at all the main overseas dealers too.

Last edited:

yuley95

If you want to get pedantic, you forgot the 'Maxx Terra', I think that's all that comes in the WT variant?

Ah no, you got it in at the end.

edit: looks like they are sold out at all the main overseas dealers too.
I've never seen 3c in anything other than max terra - maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Or maybe I'm just pretty limited with 26"

Mywifesirrational

I've never seen 3c in anything other than max terra - maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Or maybe I'm just pretty limited with 26"
3C maxx grip, but I've only seen that on DH tyres. Same as the softest schwalbe compounds, its not on their snake skin tyres.

Wouldn't mind the grippest compound on an exo trye or snake skin tyre.

Patiently waiting for the WT HR2... meant to be out last month.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just a general update for anyone revisiting here & looking for tyre combos....
(This is not anything new or revealing for a lot of regulars)

I have been running a Maxxis HRII 2.4 Exo Front....and the Aggressor 2.3 Exo rear for a little over a year now.
Wheels are 27.5. Bike is a 2015 Trance XL. I'm about 100 kgs riding....and I do a bit of everything here in Tassie.

This combination is pretty friggin' goddam amazing. There is so much grip in any conditions. Dusty & dry? No worries, nothing sketchy or too skittish.
Half-wet mud from previous rain (with clay) - No worries, they move around a bit but very predictable, even on off-camber slippery shit.
Full mud? No worries, again there's grip there.
Roots & loose shit on a hand-cut rough track? Never worries these tyres. Completely predictable.

The thing I like about them is that when they move around or slide it's telegraphed to you. You can feel them starting to let go without eating shit instantly & then wondering what happened (here's looking at you Schwalbe)

Only downside I can see is that the side walls are getting a little chafed from squeezing through rock gardens etc (but I did choose EXO deliberately - you can always go for a stronger casing spec)

And pedaling / rolling resistance? Fuck knows. As soon as the trail goes uphill I'm hurting no matter what I'm rolling on!

H.T.H.
I had to open my big mouth didn't I ??

Blah blah..."...so much grip..." blah blah "...no worries..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
More info?? Front let go, rear? OTB?
Dry trails, Medium/moderate speed, Slight right hand bend (not a berm), front tyre (HRII) briefly left the hard pack centre line & went into the loose gravelly stuff on the edge of the trail, washed out & folded under me before I even had a chance to flinch. I think I was day-dreaming a bit too....was pretty buggered by that point.
It's all good - everyone has to pay their "trail tax" every now & then.

So, please take my previous, glowing, report with a touch more salt! :blah: :embarassed: :doh:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
So I sent an email to CRC warranty regarding the buckled Maxxis.
They said its a grey area but are giving me a refund in the form of a voucher.

The outcome was beyond expectation so I'm pretty happy with it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dry trails, Medium/moderate speed, Slight right hand bend (not a berm), front tyre (HRII) briefly left the hard pack centre line & went into the loose gravelly stuff on the edge of the trail, washed out & folded under me before I even had a chance to flinch. I think I was day-dreaming a bit too....was pretty buggered by that point.
It's all good - everyone has to pay their "trail tax" every now & then.

So, please take my previous, glowing, report with a touch more salt! :blah: :embarassed: :doh:
Nothing new here, the HR2 grips well until the last moment. The corner knobs flex until they start to tear then become weak and not as supportive. If you know their limits they ride quite well.

yuley95

I don't have photos but I just found out today that when I ate shit last Sunday I fractured my shoulder and a rib. I'm pretty fucking grumpy about it too. Physio says stay off the bike for 3 months. Pffffft, I say.

I think I'll be putting the super tacky DHF back on the front rather than the dual compound DHR II.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nothing new here, the HR2 grips well until the last moment. The corner knobs flex until they start to tear then become weak and not as supportive. If you know their limits they ride quite well.
After trying it front and rear on both DH and trail bikes, could never understand why the HR is so popular. Slow af on the back of the trail bike, not as good on the front as a DHF :noidea:

stirk

Burner

Any tyre will let go in loose pebble if you're carrying speed and leaning over.

Lucky for you all that hair cushions the impact a little.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I don't have photos but I just found out today that when I ate shit last Sunday I fractured my shoulder and a rib. I'm pretty fucking grumpy about it too. Physio says stay off the bike for 3 months. Pffffft, I say.

I think I'll be putting the super tacky DHF back on the front rather than the dual compound DHR II.
Shit that sucks. How did it happen? Painful? Are you addicted to opiates yet?

Any tyre will let go in loose pebble if you're carrying speed and leaning over.

Lucky for you all that hair cushions the impact a little.
Ha, yeah. Just be glad I didn't put a full-frontal chest & belly shot up - Sasquatch got nothin' on me!

Mywifesirrational

Ribs are a terrible bone to break, did the pain during coughing, laughing, moving, bumps in the car and lady friends on top give it away?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ribs are a terrible bone to break, did the pain during coughing, laughing, moving, bumps in the car and lady friends on top give it away?
Doing all of those things at the same time hurts even without the busted rib...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

yuley95

Shit that sucks. How did it happen? Painful? Are you addicted to opiates yet?
Front wheel washed out on a fast slight left hander. The fall knocked the wind out of me and took a fair bit of skin off my arm but I didn't realise I had broken anything. Thought it was just muscle damage so kept riding including sessioning some jumps.

Still doesn't hurt too much, just limits how I move my arm - so thankfully no opium addiction. Yet. Never say never

yuley95

That's the one. Thought I was just a bit sore from the fall. Then about three days later I sneezed and was introduced to a world of pain I didn't know existed.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
currently running Maxxis DHR2 front and minion SS rear on 29er bike.

(Edit - Short travel Banshee 29er used for yarra trails, Lysty, and sometimes the flatter bits of the youies.

I mainly go for grip over fast rolling, at least on the front.)

Thinking of Magic Mary evo snakeskin front and Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear
or

Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar front/ Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear

or Magic Mary front & Hans Dampf rear.

I read in places that HD are good but tend to shred their side blocks??

Last edited:

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
currently running Maxxis DHR2 front and minion SS rear on 29er bike.

Thinking of Magic Mary evo snakeskin front and Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear
or

Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar front/ Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear

or Magic Mary front & Hans Dampf rear.

I read in places that HD are good but tend to shred their side blocks??
I like MM RR combo but have found the RR to love getting holes in it. Have just last night fitted an aggressor on the rear of my gravity wheelset.

Still have the RR on the rear of my lighter wheelset. Thinking of keeping it for xc type stuff (but have gotten 2 holes doing that so who fkn knows). For XC I would prefer a smaller tyre than 2.35 too.