All Mountain Tyres

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So Maxxis have left a hole in their line-up (IMO) when they moved the DHF 2.5 to WT spec only.
They don't recommend running their WT tyres on rims smaller than 30mm ID.

So, for me (and many others I assume?) my 27mm ID rims are sort of in "no mans land" in the DHF range now.
The 2.3 DHF on my rims is a little small - it rides & grips fine, but I want more volume & width.

So....looking at other options for front only....with similar performance to DHF...?

Onza Ibex or Citius? (prolly in 60tpi)
I don't like the way the Ibex looks like an HRII....so considering the Citius....
Is anyone riding aggressively with a Citius up front? Does it grip in dry loose-over-hard conditions?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
So Maxxis have left a hole in their line-up (IMO) when they moved the DHF 2.5 to WT spec only.
They don't recommend running their WT tyres on rims smaller than 30mm ID.

So, for me (and many others I assume?) my 27mm ID rims are sort of in "no mans land" in the DHF range now.
The 2.3 DHF on my rims is a little small - it rides & grips fine, but I want more volume & width.

So....looking at other options for front only....with similar performance to DHF...?

Onza Ibex or Citius? (prolly in 60tpi)
I don't like the way the Ibex looks like an HRII....so considering the Citius....
Is anyone riding aggressively with a Citius up front? Does it grip in dry loose-over-hard conditions?
Some run 2.5 Shorty or 2.6 DHR2 up front if you want to stick to Maxxis.

I use Magic Mary on my front which is 2.35 but is more towards a 2.4. I think you can get it in 2.6 in 27.5

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Mate, it's fine. Been running a 2.5 DHF WT on 25mm D rims and it's sweet.
Yeah I'm sure it's fine....you're not the only one running them on <30mm rims from what I've read.
But my inner O.C.D. neurotic engineer is trying to use the WT thing as an excuse to go out on a skinny branch & try a different brand....just to broaden experience y'know.
Just not sure whether the Ibex or the Citius is the best front tyre for Tassie.....?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Just not sure whether the Ibex or the Citius is the best front tyre for Tassie.....?
I have an Ibex on the rear and it's been great. Wearing pretty quickly though, but i do ride in a rocky area. It's a bit of a DHR2 clone, so def suited on the rear (although some swear by DHR2 on the front also).

If only the Aquila came in a folding bead.......

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I like it a lot. Great all rounder tyre.
Only ever washed out in situations where it's my error and would've hit the ground regardless of what tyre I'm running.
Haven't tried it on wet 'n' rocky but in mud it grips and clears quite well.
+1 for the Magic Mary. Have had one up front for a few months now and it is by far my favourite front tyre, so far. It seems to find grip in most dry conditions (have not used it in the wet yet) from skatey hardpack to soft sand over hard. I have also chucked a Nobby Nic on the rear and am liking that a lot too. These are both in the Addix compound MM- soft, NN- speedgrip. The MM is wearing really well, but the NN is not as good as say a 3C Maxx Terra in terms of durability, but the grip is outstanding, so far.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for the Magic Mary. Have had one up front for a few months now and it is by far my favourite front tyre, so far. It seems to find grip in most dry conditions (have not used it in the wet yet) from skatey hardpack to soft sand over hard. I have also chucked a Nobby Nic on the rear and am liking that a lot too. These are both in the Addix compound MM- soft, NN- speedgrip. The MM is wearing really well, but the NN is not as good as say a 3C Maxx Terra in terms of durability, but the grip is outstanding, so far.
This means a lot from this fella...He buys sealant in a 20lt drum... monthly. Pretty sure he has spent the same amount in tyres in the last 12 months as i did on my complete bike.

Z

Zaf

Fuck. When you say it like that it sounds like a bad thing.
Don't you know bikes are meant to be built up and then stored in a shed and kept clean. None of this "regular use" bullshit that some of the people on the site do.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't you know bikes are meant to be built up and then stored in a shed and kept clean. None of this "regular use" bullshit that some of the people on the site do.
I am definitely guilty of “regular use”, but I am also guilty of changing tyres before there is any discernible wear, usually just after the vent spews wear off, it is a running joke.

Z

Zaf

I am definitely guilty of “regular use”, but I am also guilty of changing tyres before there is any discernible wear, usually just after the vent spews wear off, it is a running joke.
Hey, you got off lightly, at least you're not the guy who greases his loctite.
What's your aversion to running them bald and having some sliding good times?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, you got off lightly, at least you're not the guy who greases his loctite.
What's your aversion to running them bald and having some sliding good times?
Hey, I never said I didn’t grease my loctite. How on earth do you get bolts off if you don’t? That stuff is sticky as.

I dunno really, I have problem, came here for help and it did not work.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
This means a lot from this fella...He buys sealant in a 20lt drum... monthly. Pretty sure he has spent the same amount in tyres in the last 12 months as i did on my complete bike.
So you're assuming I replace mtn bike stuff (like tyres) because they're worn out, used, broken etc....?
Ha, that's hilarious!
No, no I'm fully hooked to the "small glass pipe" of restless upgrade-itus....

stirk

Burner
Hey, I never said I didn’t grease my loctite. How on earth do you get bolts off if you don’t? That stuff is sticky as.

I dunno really, I have problem, came here for help and it did not work.
Haha, forums like this fuel the fire... I mean problem!

Everytime a new tyre is released I'm so close to buying that shit up, sadly for me my dude stash is stretched across a few 'projects' so I need to run my tyres down to at least 70% before buying a new one.

stirk

Burner
So you're assuming I replace mtn bike stuff (like tyres) because they're worn out, used, broken etc....?
Ha, that's hilarious!
No, no I'm fully hooked to the "small glass pipe" of restless upgrade-itus....
It's a balancing act.

On the one hand you say to yourself, "I don't need to upgrade but it would be nice"

On the other hand you say, "I would really like to upgrade!"

The endorphins win.