All Mountain Tyres

Beej1

sorry should have mentioned 29er tyres and i was under the impression Maxxis DHF 2.5 were 1100grams while Schwalbe HD where around 850grams I love the width of Schwalbe 2.35 and find with Maxxis you have to go 2.5 for comparison.
According to this: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/sorting-out-minion-dhf-29x2-5-versions-866283.html

...the EXO casings are 1kg, DH casings are 1.25kg.

So while lighter, the EXOs are still pretty heavy. When I (ultimately) replace 26in Nomad with a 29er, I may have to consider breaking my "nothing but Maxxis" tyre rule. But I predict I won't.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
According to this: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/sorting-out-minion-dhf-29x2-5-versions-866283.html

...the EXO casings are 1kg, DH casings are 1.25kg.

So while lighter, the EXOs are still pretty heavy. When I (ultimately) replace 26in Nomad with a 29er, I may have to consider breaking my "nothing but Maxxis" tyre rule. But I predict I won't.
Value for money and performance you really cant go past Maxxis. Perhaps if we were at the pointy end of the field we should look at other brands for that slight increase in performance and reduction in weight. For mere mortals............................................

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I really dont see the reason to run such aggressive heavy tyres. I think we get sidetracked by marketing/enduro about what we should be riding and not what are really need.
For me I like to run DD's or SG's on the rear, and perhaps the front, depending on the tyre, it simply means I can run low pressures 20-22psi front and rear, no squirm, no dings, no burping and have amazing traction and tyre compliance in the rough stuff.

Stuff having to use 30+ psi because the 600g tyre is a POS.

Any tyre below around 850g - is either too flimsy or too narrow. All the guys I ride with have the same approach, light tyres are too fragile and the performance is crap for aggressive AM riding, be we all favour DH, and only ride up for the descent.

Mywifesirrational

Hmmmm........ :noidea:

Schwalbe Magic Mary - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, Speedgrip, TL Easy = 835g
Maxxis DHF - 27.5X2.30 - 3C/EXO/TR MaxxTerra = 870g
Difference - 35g]
This isn't a fair comparison, the 2.3 mary is a lot larger than a 2.3 DHF (which is a pizza cutter).

Compared to the DHF WT 2.5 EXO 3c maxx grip (980g) which is the same size, 150g difference.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
This isn't a fair comparison, the 2.3 mary is a lot larger than a 2.3 DHF (which is a pizza cutter).

Compared to the DHF WT 2.5 EXO 3c maxx grip (980g) which is the same size, 150g difference.
Still doesn't equate to half a kilo front and rear....
Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mywifesirrational

Still doesn't equate to half a kilo front and rear....
Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Ah yeah fair enough, I did not read clearly.

I also find some of the schwalbes too flimsy in snakeskin whereas the SG's are awesome, suddenly no eight difference between the schwalbe and maxxis as I need a heavier carcass in schwalbe, but not necessarily maxxis.

Kind of feels like snake skin > exo > SG > DD > DH casings.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
when you lot say that any tyre under 800grams just wont cut it - what do you mean

you destroy tyres?
lots of flats?
have to run more air to stop them rolling on the rim?
destroy rims?
All of the above

Im just curious cause I ride similar trails on 5-6 inch duellies, Im no shrinking violet (6.4 and 100kgs) and whilst I wouldnt make the podium with my speed and stunts - its fast and fun. I never destroy tyres. I have had 3 x tyres cut in 20 years (and needed a tube). I have worn out tyres - down to the threads and ripped the knobs off Schwalbes over the years.

Perhaps I have missed the benefits of running more solid tyres- all these years. I will get a set of solid tyres and come back and say- "yeah, you told me so numb nuts"

I have a some new wide carbon rims on the way and will fit a DHF WT 2.5 or Magic Mary 2.35 for the front and will grab an aggressor or DHR/HR to wack up the rear. That should test the concept.

BT180

Max Pfaff
For me on the rear it won't cut it. I recently destroyed a Minion DHRII 2.4 WT (which weighed 900g) with two massive gashes - one in the sidewall and one in the tread, and that was running a conservative 25psi.

I've since replaced it with the Double Down version (albeit in 2.3 size) which weighs in at 1,005g.

I think it depends on the areas you ride. I'm mostly hurtling down a heap of rock faces and natural rock gardens, so I need something solid under me. And I'm 'only' about 83kg geared up.

Mywifesirrational

when you lot say that any tyre under 800grams just wont cut it - what do you mean

you destroy tyres?
lots of flats?
have to run more air to stop them rolling on the rim?
destroy rims?
All of the above
Weight doesn't seem to make a difference to reliability, but I am not using 600g tyres for anything other than some XC and rail trails. Only had a single flat in the last 6 years, which was a bit of a doozy as it happened at the worst possible time and I will never run a snake skin rock razor again.

Mostly its about tyre squirm / rolling on the rim vs how much pressure needed to stop this. Tyres with a heavier carcass can run less pressure whilst still being stable. As a bonus heavier carcasses also absorbed more energy from the impact and less likely to ding a rim - so you can run less pressure without greater risk. I've only ever burped light weight tyres, regardless of how much pressure (28-30psi).

Nothing worse than having to run excess pressure and having the bike ping pong off every obstacle on the trail. I use a digital pressure gauge before each ride (it's a scientist thing, I guess), and 2-4 psi above normal makes a noticeable difference to ride quality.

Interestingly, with Maxxis Exo casings, it doesn't feel like its the same across there range, comparing a 600g exo ardent to a 950g 2.5WT DHF exo, the ardents side walls feel really flimsy in comparison, I don't think its just the larger knobs that add weight.

For instance comparing the same tyre in 3 carcasses (puhsys maxxis sale),

Maxxis SS

EXO 2.3 (750ish?) needs minimum of >26 psi an still feels squirmy if pushing, harsh chattery ride, not using mine anymore.
DD 2.3 (975) needs 22-23 psi, some squirm, but tolerable, when pushed hard in corners or sideways landing, smooth ride.
DH 2.5 (1330g) 21 psi, awesome tyre, very stable, Rolls well, but still shithouse to pedal its mass.

Really depends what your goal is, mines to have fun descending or jumping, running heavier tyres means I can run lower pressures and maximise traction, but I don't care how long the ascent takes, or even if I walk it now and then.

110kg, 29mm internal rims.

When I use a set of 471's (25mm internal) the pressures go up by about 4-5 psi at each end.

When I use some Mavic 521's, the pressure goes up 10-12 psi from 29mm internal.

As the rims get narrower, pressure goes up, tyre volume decreases, you get more squirm (at lower pressures), more dings, a harsher ride, started using Mavic D321's (29mm internal) in 1998, got on the wider rim crazy before it was cool and never looked back.

Mywifesirrational

Great feed back
Thanks
I can't fathom running 25 psi off road. This could be a revelation
If you're heading out to youies one weekend, yellout, i'll swing by with the bike, take it for a whirl with 20 psi up front and 22psi in the rear.

Currently running a exo WT DHF and SG rock razor, nice tyres.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Great feed back
Thanks
I can't fathom running 25 psi off road. This could be a revelation
I run 25r/22f, but I'm a big fat fucker and the things will squirm all over the place with any less. Any more, and it corners like a dog on lino.

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're heading out to youies one weekend, yellout, i'll swing by with the bike, take it for a whirl with 20 psi up front and 22psi in the rear.

Currently running a exo WT DHF and SG rock razor, nice tyres.
Youies regular here too - found my sweet spot with Magic Mary 27.5 SG front and Hans Dampf SG rear. Been able to get away with 18psi front and 20 rear on 29mm ID rims. I'm about 90 kg geared up and far from smooth. Sticks like shit to a blanket, and the rear has a nice progressive drift to it at the limit. Have gone as low as 16psi in the front but starts to get a bit squirmy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunndog

Eats Squid
Gone with the tried and true HR2 3C Max Terra front and DD Aggressor rear. Both 2.3 on 28mm internal rims. Most smash worthy yet still respectable when riding the wrong side of the youies.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
shut up and take my money...................................
Excellent! I'll PM you my Paypal deets. :llama:

Currently running Magic Mary SG front in 26er size, just noticed CRC have Rock Razor SG in 26er size also, that should go nicely on the rear wheel. :first:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gone with the tried and true HR2 3C Max Terra front and DD Aggressor rear. Both 2.3 on 28mm internal rims. Most smash worthy yet still respectable when riding the wrong side of the youies.
Did you already buy them? I have a mint condition 2.4 HR2 2.4, 3c, Maxx Terra that I am about to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mywifesirrational

Most smash worthy yet still respectable when riding the wrong side of the youies. ��
haha, wrong side, aggressor rolls better than it should be allowed to.

87kg kitted, run 20f/22r Minion DHF/SS, watch this vid with sound, I'm the second dude. Listen to the two others land with 30+psi (they won't move to the land of lower pressures yet):
I clicked the link before reading the comment, second bike certainly a little more muffled.

Excellent! I'll PM you my Paypal deets. :llama:

Currently running Magic Mary SG front in 26er size, just noticed CRC have Rock Razor SG in 26er size also, that should go nicely on the rear wheel. :first:
I just got a couple of razor SG's on bike-discount for 28aud each plus delivery, think they sold out already - getting rid of their old compound 27.5s maybe.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Did you already buy them? I have a mint condition 2.4 HR2 2.4, 3c, Maxx Terra that I am about to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They're floating around my shed.. I have a plethora of tyres chilling between 50-80% tread left.. cheers though