Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, Widow Makers. Couldn't agree more re the shitness of gum trees, give me any other kind of forrest any day, especially for riding bikes or building trails and not having to rake them every other week...

I wonder how many bush walkers or joggers actually get nailed by the spears?
I have wondered that too.. I have studied a little bit of arboriculture and my lecturer wouldn't stand stand directly under them out in the forests in the Dandenongs.. I don't sit under any of the the big ones even if they are healthy.. The amount of limbs/bark/nuts they drop is crazy, like a weed ;).

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Happy trails people's, you never know what can happen, just wear a helmet because they work.

Close thread.
Subtext: why are we having this conversation fucktards, just wear a fucking helmet unless you can't afford one in which case you probably can't afford a bike either, so you're just playing devil's advocate...

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a gum tree fall about 10 meters away from me on a trail, it let off the loudest crack like a shot gun. At first I wasn't sure what had happened but then I heard the rustle of the branches breaking.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished up a ride and was loading the bikes in a suburban carpark that had gums (Ivanhoe). A huge branch dropped 5 metres away between two very expense SUV's. Can't get away from those bastard trees

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had 2 wild experiences with trees dropping branches, both at the top of fairly exposed Hills. I was shuttling mount sugarloaf a while back and a huge wind blew in. Between laps it laid out a whole bunch of small trees and branches over the trail we were on. Similarly I was pushing Ourimbah dh and a similar thing happened. I figured it was time to leave and branches, leaves, dust and all manner of shit bombarded me almost all the way down. Got to the swamp pit. At the bottom and you couldn't tell there was any wind.

And how much does it suck getting hit by a strong gust of wind when you're in the air?!?!

slowmick

38-39"
Was yabbying as a kid with my dad way upstream on the yarra river where it is only a few feet wide. We heard a crack like a gun shot then an enormous crash. We walked back to the picnic ground to see a family packing up their picnic basket. A huge limb had dropped on the concrete picnic table next to them and crushed it to rubble.

I don't like riding among the trees on high wind days. Still do it occasionally, it's a choice though - like riding on the roads around Melbourne.

taquar

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty confident riding without a helmet on easy xc where the wheels stay on the ground. Only at 60-70% effort. I still wear one out of habit but in terms of real risk, it's a bit over the top..
I have never had a jra accident where I hit my head, but have cracked three helmets binning it while pushing my limits. I had a mate that went otb when his chain snapped when standing up peddling hard on bitumen. He took a nice gauge out of his helmet.. but.., thats it.
The issue that shits me about the whole helmet debate is common sense. Anyone who rides mtbs knows the value of a good helmet, but a riding at 10kmh up the fire road without one isn't crazy.
You say that, but then straight away, say you've cracked 3 helmets when binning it?

How do you think the helmets cracked? Magic?

As for your mate, what do you think would have happened to his head if there was no helmet?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I haven't crapped my pants for several years, but nappies are so cheap and comfortable nowadays (Aldi ftw) that it just makes sense.

Why risk it?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You say that, but then straight away, say you've cracked 3 helmets when binning it?

How do you think the helmets cracked? Magic?

As for your mate, what do you think would have happened to his head if there was no helmet?
I'm talking about weighing up the risks mate. Mtbing proper = wearing a helmet. Going for a gentle pootle that happens to be off road = common sense approach to risk. Would I wear a helmet walking or running the same track? Because thats the sort of speeds i'm talking about..

My helmets cracked because they hit rocks and a pavement. The very reason I was wearing it was to stop my head hitting said surfaces. I like helmets.

As for my mate, I think its pretty obvious he would have had a gash on his head..
I don't get your point, I have had plenty of low risk activity injuries to my face and head that did not involve a bike. It's called, shit happens. I consider low speed riding on tame xc or firetrail low risk myself so I wouldn't think it's 'crazy' to ride without a lid in those circumstances.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Of course riding at 10kmh without a helmet is crazy, I mean you put a helmet on to climb a ladder don't you? And surely on a Saturday night when risks are really high, you wear a helmet as a pedestrian? ,and just like all these super safety conscious guys, you wear body armour when riding XC?

Helmets are magic, anytime you damage one they save you from being a vegetable in a hospital ward, imagine the tens of thousands of mountain bikers who have been saved from serious head injury filling our hospitals up if it weren't for magi-helmets.

I have to say though, I can't see the bother for removing an XC type lid. Removing it just means you have to carry it, which while I've done climbing a long hill on a hot day, isn't exactly the funnest thing ever.

IF it's a full face and you are riding to the place and it's hot and you can get it on your backpack - well, that's easier to understand - I wouldn't wear one of those hot boxes for more than 10 minutes. Ultimately, you are probably safer with a full face on the down bits and carrying it up, than an XC both down and up.

mellow

Banned
Helmet on your penis, penishead.

I have worked with brain injuries. Not just the ones you are you are presenting symptoms of. Ie; stupidity. Just wear it and prey we never need meet. Best wishes, have fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Of course riding at 10kmh without a helmet is crazy, I mean you put a helmet on to climb a ladder don't you? And surely on a Saturday night when risks are really high, you wear a helmet as a pedestrian? ,and just like all these super safety conscious guys, you wear body armour when riding XC?

Helmets are magic, anytime you damage one they save you from being a vegetable in a hospital ward, imagine the tens of thousands of mountain bikers who have been saved from serious head injury filling our hospitals up if it weren't for magi-helmets.

I have to say though, I can't see the bother for removing an XC type lid. Removing it just means you have to carry it, which while I've done climbing a long hill on a hot day, isn't exactly the funnest thing ever.

IF it's a full face and you are riding to the place and it's hot and you can get it on your backpack - well, that's easier to understand - I wouldn't wear one of those hot boxes for more than 10 minutes. Ultimately, you are probably safer with a full face on the down bits and carrying it up, than an XC both down and up.
I'd like to buy one of these magic helmets, where are they stocked?

I've worn my helmet while walking around (for kicks, not through fear of injury) and people look at you real strange, like you're in need of intervention.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'd like to buy one of these magic helmets, where are they stocked?

I've worn my helmet while walking around (for kicks, not through fear of injury) and people look at you real strange, like you're in need of intervention.
The magic helmets are faith based - Baulkham Hills have a blessing facility I believe, some sort of clapping and singing ceremony I believe (large tax free donations to CEO required for purchase)

I find a simple padded room is a better solution than a helmet - not an extravagant one, just all white

Flow-Rider

Burner
I came across some downed widow makers today but no testing of the helmet unfortunately. I think they have been down since the last storms.

wd.jpg wd5.jpg

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Andrew-Hartman-Director-Online-Services-PR-Newswire-1.jpg

Nautonier

Eats Squid
WTF is with the tie?? Shave your head and grow a beard, otherwise you'll continue to look like the nice man next door who people like to keep their children away from...

I know it's (probably) not a picture of you, but as you gave no explanation we're going to pretend it is...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If it ain't trees in your way it will be people, can't win some days. :behindsofa:
Or horses. Today it was the fricken fallen trees and then having to slow down for a skittish horse right when I was in the zone... I should have yelled out "Strava run" haha. Way to make friends...