Atherton Tablelands

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I don't know whether to be excited or disappointed; was up there this morning and sure didn't see that section of trail, disappointing as we'd missed it, but excited as theres more trails in the park that we'd not ridden.

I noted that there was still a section of trail that was fenced off, we just rode past that turnoff as there still looked to be plenty of trails out there without jumping the fence.

Still, was awesome for my first ride of the trails.

indica

Serial flasher
It is not really fenced off. The fence is still there partially, but just go where the open bit is.
The newest track is off track 2, about 5 minutes in. It has a sign referencing World Trail on it and it is OPEN.
Taken from Atherton MTB Facebook
This little birdy was walking the new World Trails track at Atherton Forest MTB Park this morning and met up with a crew from Cairns that had been given the ok to remove the "no entry" tape from Mr Glen J himself (on site and in person) and to start bedding in the trail. Have fun folks.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Good to hear Indica....I am heading up tomorrow morning for a looksie...going to check the new loop out plus a lap or two of the old loop....trying to get up there by 7ish..leaving cairns at 530ish.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ohhh, big call mate....
Sorry I was working...
I have ridden some nice networks where they all sort of link up, but as far as a stand alone trail, hard to beat for me.

Loved the way he has made the descending contours long, so you can really get smoking along, and when it's time to turn the corners are banked and shaped perfectly. My only complaint would be that the smaller of the 2 jumps at the top needs the run in tidied up and a small lander built, so it's not flat. Bahahloo and I had trouble clearing the big one because I couldn't get enough speed before it. If the run in to the first one was smooth, you could rail the turn above it and come in quick with the lander keeping things smooth and fast for the run in to the big one. Pretty small complaint in the scheme of things...

indica

Serial flasher
My only complaint ...
I thought the rock garden entry into the first was a good point.
I will endeavour to hit those jumps as often as I can and let you know if - and I think it will - it gets better with practice.
The descent is fucken wicked, the most fun I have had in a long time on a bike.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't really feel like a rock garden entry, more like it just didn't get much time spent clearing the tread. Just felt messy and slow. It also needs a lander, at the moment it is just to flat. The combination of both seemed to rob you of momentum and make clearing the big one difficult.

I had a feature on my track in town that I built that had a drop off a natural rock that never felt quite right. Built a small lander that also created a small gap and it worked so much better. Turned a harsh landing into a smooth transition that you actually increased speed off. Reckon this would work the same.

Like I said, tiny issue in the overall scheme of things. You are so right about the downhill. Loved the second sneaky step up...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think my favourite was either the first smaller gap on the way up, or the second sneaky step up. That small one in your pic is fun because you are warping through there :)

indica

Serial flasher
First time I hit the small gap on the way up I boosted it and nearly died. So well made you don't need to do anything.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Wow, the new section is nothing short of sensational. Went up yesterday morning with a couple of mates and had a blast.

Well done Glen and crew.

imago

Likes Bikes
Hi Atherton peeps,

Your new trails look awesome, keen to get up there soon to check them out.

I'm doing a bit of research on other places to do some longer rides/camping, and the Misty Mountains looks good.

Ideally I'd like to camp at either South Johnstone or Henrietta Creek and ride some of the old forestry roads in that area. Does anybody have any suggestions for routes in that area?

Cheers!

indica

Serial flasher
It also needs a lander, at the moment it is just to flat. The combination of both seemed to rob you of momentum and make clearing the big one difficult.
I see what you mean now. I tried twice and cased the gap hard both times. I cannae do it.