Atherton Tablelands

indica

Serial flasher
^^^ Hahaaaa!

Went there again today, and there were so many people there it is great.
Glen was there with a crew from Cairns. Had a chat about those jumps with him and a younger - that's not too hard - guy and Glen said although he can't hit anything, Rhys and Ryan smashed those jumps, and the young guy agreed, just need to pedal in between - man up in other words.
Glen says he likes to have some features that only the top 10% can hit. Fair enough too.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glen was there with a crew from Cairns. Had a chat about those jumps with him and a younger - that's not too hard - guy and Glen said although he can't hit anything, Rhys and Ryan smashed those jumps, and the young guy agreed, just need to pedal in between - man up in other words.
Glen says he likes to have some features that only the top 10% can hit. Fair enough too.
All due respect to Glen, but seems odd to have a jump/drop to flat on what is essentially an XC track. Not an issue on a DH bike, but I don't think you will see many getting up there. I have no doubt that a small lander would make that feature so much better.

As for the big jump, I suspect someone who is good at boosting would have not too much trouble clearing it. I ride with a guy who can roll into stuff at walking pace and still clear it by pulling the bike up under him, so that is probably a fair call.

Not sure about the 10% theory but. If I was paying the bills I am not sure I would see it as a good investment to spend time and money on building a big feature that only 10% of riders will ever ride??

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And it gives me something to work up to.
Absolutely, next time I will drag the Slayer up there and have a red hot go. But I think most will simply ride around it and never think about hitting it, which would disappoint me If I was the builder...

4dabush

Likes Dirt
All due respect to Glen, but seems odd to have a jump/drop to flat on what is essentially an XC track. Not an issue on a DH bike, but I don't think you will see many getting up there. I have no doubt that a small lander would make that feature so much better.

As for the big jump, I suspect someone who is good at boosting would have not too much trouble clearing it. I ride with a guy who can roll into stuff at walking pace and still clear it by pulling the bike up under him, so that is probably a fair call.

Not sure about the 10% theory but. If I was paying the bills I am not sure I would see it as a good investment to spend time and money on building a big feature that only 10% of riders will ever ride??
Hang on...don't you have those features on rock and roll/redtail? The big gap on that track I'd suspect only 10% would hit... and the Hump?
BUT regardless, Douglas MTB Park is awesome too...Rockwheelers, you guys have done a great job. The climbs were done so well, It was nice change riding your granite based soils and rocks from our red clay and roots...any southerners reading this thread thinking of a road trip should add Townsville to the list too. And bring a 5-6 inch dually for the most fun. (I'm heading up to Atherton this w/e to compare notes - whooo hoo!)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hang on...don't you have those features on rock and roll/redtail? The big gap on that track I'd suspect only 10% would hit... and the Hump?
No, we are hard in Townsville, everyone hits them :)
Mind you, there has been a few emergency evacs off the hill too :)

Seriously though, we have the Hump Bridge, the little road gap and bigger creek gap on Rock and Roll. Granted they are probably similar difficulty to the bigger one at Atherton, but there are heaps of guys hitting them. Maybe I am selling the guys in Atherton short? Perhaps they will have a crack at it??

Have you ridden the 2 jumps in question?? I would be interested to hear your take on it, although you don't really count. You have some skills :)

PS, I would gladly swap our gravel for your loam....

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
(I'm heading up to Atherton this w/e to compare notes - whooo hoo!)
The new track is called Ridgey Didge by the way
Make sure your post up your [hopefully positive] impressions of the new tracks.
The more feed back we get up here can only help with grant and funding applications. I believe there is still +$100K left from this round of funding to build the next stage. The route of the new track has been plotted and construction will get under way ASAP depending on the wet season.

indica

Serial flasher
Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, faaaaark.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atherton-Tablelands-Mountain-Biking/339662136118126

Atherton Tablelands Mountain Biking said:
The rain is here - and time to take some care with our trails. If you have any news on what trail conditions are like around the Tablelands please post here. To protect the hard work, time and money that goes into creating trails which are a joy to ride please consider the conditions first and go for a coffee if its too wet, too soft, too muddy. Cutting up the trails doesn't do anyone any good - enjoy your espresso instead!
Glen Jacobs said:
Great to finally see some moisture heading to the hills. Recently constructed World Trails "Trail 6", "Ridgy Didge" or "AT6", is a professionally designed, sustainable flow trail, built in one of the most spectacular destinations in Australia. Sustainable designs allow for large amounts of water to shed quickly off the trail. The majority of the trail is soil based and will maintain its build structure completely. Removing water away from the ride surface is critical for the longevity of a trail. This unique style also allows the trail to feel great and flow like a roller-coaster. Yet as the trail is soil based, it can be negatively effected when users start riding on the track during or after high rainfall. Similarities can be compared with outback dirt roads and bush tracks, which, when driven in the wet, can sustain massive damage. So as was suggested in the main post, (like all other trail centres throughout the world) maybe take some time off when its wet, have a coffee and sit out the weather until the track is dry and ready for years of fun trail rides.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Our rocky trails won't be looking so bad soon :)
Your rocky trails are friggin' awesome...had a couple of loops of Douglas over the New Years break...Rockwheelers have a good reason to be really proud of their work. Great signage too... Trails are quite similar to Atherton, with Atherton being probably slightly wider, and a longer one way loop. Similar amount of rocks, similar consequences if you go off line. Atherton's flow down is amazing. You guys have lots of variety and the ability to link different trails to make different loops. Can't wait to get down for another play, shame you are 4 hrs south!!!n Might have to bring the XC bike next time I come down for the DH races. Pallarenda sounds awesome too...your members were frothing after the rain at New Years!

No excuses for SEQ'rs to not get up here and have a biking holiday in FNQ!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your rocky trails are friggin' awesome...had a couple of loops of Douglas over the New Years break...Rockwheelers have a good reason to be really proud of their work. Great signage too... Trails are quite similar to Atherton, with Atherton being probably slightly wider, and a longer one way loop. Similar amount of rocks, similar consequences if you go off line. Atherton's flow down is amazing. You guys have lots of variety and the ability to link different trails to make different loops. Can't wait to get down for another play, shame you are 4 hrs south!!!n Might have to bring the XC bike next time I come down for the DH races. Pallarenda sounds awesome too...your members were frothing after the rain at New Years!

No excuses for SEQ'rs to not get up here and have a biking holiday in FNQ!
The word is Douglas will be the venue for this years XC State Champs. Will definitely sort them MTBers from the roadie wannabes :)

indica

Serial flasher
Rain stopped....
Went out and had a look today, bit of water on the tracks.

Seemed quite good overall. Few days of sun - as per the forecast - will be good.

indica

Serial flasher
World Trail said:
The World Trail team have just been awarded the contract to design and construct new trails in North Queensland. Atherton Forest Park, is the latest mountain bike destination, in the tropical destination of Atherton.
Our crew recently completed the ever popular "Ridgy Didge" trail within the park a few months back in December.

The project will be led by Rhys Atkinson, and shaped by Ryan De La Rue and the team. The whole team are excited to have the chance, to construct another iconic trail, yet this time will feature a full flowing descending product throughout the valley. Construction starts early May 2013.
Looks promising >>> Works to progress in priority order as follows :- Trail 9 (downhill) (blue) – 2.5 klms; Trail 5 (blue) 1.1klm new and minor upgrades to existing ; Trail 9 (link) (blue) 1.38 klms; Trail 7 (blue) – 2.86 klms.

Atherton Forest MTB Park Concept Plan - page 39 onwards details proposed trail network for the park so you can see what awesome trails will be coming your way soon.
http://www.tablelandsfutures.com/fi...ncept_plan_final_report_june_2011_reduced.pdf

indica

Serial flasher

World Trail said:
First cut of the season in Far North Queensland, on the eagerly anticipated, "Trail 9" in the Atherton Tablelands.

After the huge success of last years product, Ridgy Didge, (Trail 6), Rhys Atkinson and the crew are out to go above and beyond to deliver a pure game changer within Australia.
Rated as a core Blue with Black Diamond accessories, the trail team started this week shaping this long shuttleable descending trail, with creative fun options.

The trail is yet another link in the ever expanding Atherton Master Plan, which World Trail delivered a few years ago.
More stories and images within the coming weeks.