Attn: Mike&Nat, can you please explain...

Rik

logged out
This is totally out of the ordinary, but I feel it has to be done as a: M&N are far from "newbies" in terms of knowing how the site works and b: it's already been made a public issue so to resolve it in public would be good for all parties involved.
(and beware anyone that wants to jump in to stir things up, this isn't the place for silly flames and I'll be waiting with my ban stick for anyone to push things too far - legitimate mature comments only please)

The issue:
A member claims in this thread that something isn't right with his bike.
The bike appears to be listed here for sale. Note the condition is stated as "very good".
Member in above thread claims that there was a damaged spoke nipple (which is crucial to the tubeless sealing) but that's rather minor compared to the video posted of something strange stuck in the steerer tube.

Now... M&N, it's your chance to explain to the buyer of this bike what is going on here, why it is so and why you've claimed the bike to be in "very good" condition without mentioning the massive issue of dangerous modification made to the steering system.

Please tell us why further action shouldn't be taken both on Farkin and in real life. Are you (two) adults or will your parents need to be involved as well? The danger of the above modification is staggering, even moreso for you to consider the bike as being in "very good" condition.
Your chance is now... consider your trading action revoked as a start, and once you tell us what is going on you can also tell us why we should tolerate this from "senior" members of this website who should know better.

:confused:

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its a question of the item condition being described misleadingly then it isn't a one off. I recall a year or two ago I was interested in purchasing a blue bb7 frame from one of the two (mike or nat can't remember which).

Anyhow, the frame was described in excellent condition, minus an overly large dent in the rear swing arm covered by a cleverly placed sticker.

If you deem my post as inappropriate then please remove it Rik, but I am just sharing my past trading experience which appears to be similar to the situation at present.

stinky_boy_64

Likes Dirt
ive traded with mike an nat tonnes of times and there has never been a problem and knowing them theyd never intetionally put someone indanger.

like having somthing in the steerer tube that if you pulled on it it would lift off it you didnt have the compression bolt in

.:Easily:.

Likes Dirt
I have had trading experience with M&N before and was not pleasant at the slightest. I bought a pair of manitou sherman slider + from them about a year ago. On the test ride they felt great but i was misjudges it becuase they were on a dually. I was told by one of them that they had just had a service and were in perfect working condition. I installed the forks on my hardtail and straight away they felt like crap, i took them to my LBS to get checked. Long story short i have to pay $200 for a complete rebuild of the SPV and leg becuase the SPV was completely broken.

just my experience

Last edited:

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Wow im watchin this thread like a hawk. Did that steerer just slide out or was it screwed in?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Wow im watchin this thread like a hawk. Did that steerer just slide out or was it screwed in?
watch the video, all that was holding it in was the compression bolt (thing that makes your headset tight when you put your stem on)

And for the record, ive sold a chain guide to them. and they seemed fine.. but then they were recieving goods, and its pretty hard to stuff that up.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
ive traded with mike an nat tonnes of times and there has never been a problem and knowing them theyd never intetionally put someone indanger.
I'd hope they'd never intentionally put someone in danger, that would make it way more mallicious. The problem is they didnt disclose a serious flaw with the bike and stated it was in A1 mechanical condition, which is obviously not the case. Intent or no intent it's still a serious issue.

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorry everyone about the late reply as we use farkin less and less these days probably caused more confusion and worry.

to all wondering about the steerer tube i bought the bike an used it for about 1 month then sold it. i had no idea about the steerer tube as the bike is the exact same as how i bought it, so same as you i was untold about these pikes, i never removed the stem to notice anything underneath so i had no idea what the steerer thing is it wasnt made by me. yes i should've checked but seeing as tho that area seemed to be fine it was missed. i can try findout the owner before and see wats goin on

the balfa when selling it to tu plang i informed him that it had a bend in the rear swingarm and it was posted in the for sales post. so you clearly missed all that or are trying to make us look worse or something i might be able to check past private messages but i doubt its still there. also upon sending it i took it to bike addiction in manly to get a full check up and asked to see if it was actualy a problem. and got it back them saying it was fine, and1 knowing about this as he asked me to do it. also the sticker covering the dent was taken off before sale anyways.

as for the shermans if i remember correctly they were serviced by the bike shed mortdale and were fine and was just told that the forks needed re lubing regulary as with most sherman sliders apparently.
yeh most of the parts sold here ur askin about or watever were checked by bike shops as we would prefer that they are professionally and theres no way we'd sell them as "very good cond" when we know they arent.

please write back/ ask more questions if needed because this needs to be worked out

Last edited:

dhd

Downhill Direct
OK, I'm not defending them, but I have dealt with Nat in the past and it all went well.
So I guess, before you all have them lined up in front of the firing squad, the question has to be asked. Did they know it was like that when they sold it? It is entirely possible that the forks were on the bike when they bought it and they never actually removed them or the stem from the bike. I know I have had bikes where I've never taken the stem off!

.:Easily:.

Likes Dirt
as for the shermans if i remember correctly they were serviced by the bike shed mortdale and were fine and was just told that the forks needed re lubing regulary as with most sherman sliders apparently.
well they must have missed a clearly broken SPV assembly...i still have the broken rod

steel-o

Likes Dirt
for mike and nat

so lets get down to the nitty gritty, the law..

If you look at the law about purchases my contract is with the seller not the person that supplied it to the seller that's their deal.

so my deal is with Mike and Nat if they want to take it up with thier supplier that's thier business. thats the law.

The law won't care if you knew it was faulty or not, as a seller you must not sell defective goods even if you don't know they are defective. it's the seller responsibility to put it right. so i'm still looking at you Mike and Nat.

it's not play money for these items are you ready for the responsiblity which goes with it??

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

The way I see it is, if you're not happy with the condition of the bike when you received it and it's not how it was described when you purchased it then try to arrange to send it back and get a refund. I'm not sure if you've tried this yet or not but if I were in that situation it's what I'd be doing.

Also, just out of interest, did you check their iTrader history? It's the first thing I check when buying something.

Good luck with it either way.

---Matt---

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
well they must have missed a clearly broken SPV assembly...i still have the broken rod
Sometimes things like that are not recignised until the fork is opened up and once it is, it cant usually be put back in successfully, hence your in need of a new one. My last set of forks packed in and unfortunatly parts were unavailable for them. It was just a routine service...working fine before I took them in but obviously, there was something majorly wrong...hence, they were unable to be fixed/reassembled. (If I had have known this, I would have riden them longer!)

In regards to this issue with the Pike steerer, Steel-o, your are very lucky you didnt sustain any sort of injury from that so if all else fails, thank your lucky stars that your still with us!

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes,well i do not know what steel o is talkin about but the bike was sold to him about 2 months ago to late for a refund. how would i know not to sell somthing that has somthing wrong with it that i do not know of it would be like saying to everyone that no one can sell anything 2nd hand as there could be somthing wrong with anyones bike that knowone knows of. and to put it right you could have told me about this info way befor this and i would have been able to do somthing aobut it

mike

Last edited:

matty_101

Likes Dirt
so lets get down to the nitty gritty, the law..

If you look at the law about purchases my contract is with the seller not the person that supplied it to the seller that's their deal.

so my deal is with Mike and Nat if they want to take it up with thier supplier that's thier business. thats the law.

The law won't care if you knew it was faulty or not, as a seller you must not sell defective goods even if you don't know they are defective. it's the seller responsibility to put it right. so i'm still looking at you Mike and Nat.

it's not play money for these items are you ready for the responsiblity which goes with it??
Ever occur to you that it could be you riding the bike that exacerbated the problem, or that you should have been more vigilante before handing over so much money? Or that you could have had a part in the issue?

Don't go pointing the finger until you know for certain, which as far as law goes, was way way off. I don't use the trading section, but the rules stipulated there are the only ones that count right now, legally you didnt have a personal contract so it's down the the rules of Farkin to determine the appropriate course of action, which if it does include legal reparations, shame.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
EDIT: im keeping out of this thread.. wtf cant i delete any of my post's???

Last edited: