Australian Army Ration Packs

bongdude98

Likes Bikes
its just about that time of year where we ship off to cadet camp to enjoy those wonderful rat packs.
I've heard some pretty interesting recipes in my time for things you can make from the rat pack, everything from cakes to explosives. Just wondering if anyone else knew anything cool you can make from them? give us your greatest camp recipes

NCR600

Likes Dirt
They've got chocolate in them. Surely that's the only thing of concern to a bloke who refers to himself as "bongdude"?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
The only way to stop the average soldier from feeling horny is to load the Bromide into a 155mm Howitzer shell and fire it at him from the waist down.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
abit off topic, but apparently army rat(ion) packs have been banned from school and cadet use. this is true for our school (Barker College) after a boy in Queensland died because he was dared to eat food containing penuts, knowing that he was allergic.

im not 100% sure if they have been banned to all schools, but for all the schools around the Northshore of Sydney (thats where my school is) they have been.

bongdude98

Likes Bikes
ah yeh heard about that...
not sure if they have banned them at my school we had a camp last april that used them i can't remember when the ban came down, that would suck if they had banned them. silly boy eating things he's allergic to.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The rumours about the chocolate are all crap. It's just high carbo chocolate. The bunghole does not make you constipated. Think yourself lucky you don't have to eat the old Ham and Eggs. Melt the cheese before you eat it.

Macr

Likes Dirt
The rumours about the chocolate are all crap. It's just high carbo chocolate. The bunghole does not make you constipated. Think yourself lucky you don't have to eat the old Ham and Eggs. Melt the cheese before you eat it.
There is the words of wisdom. I avoided the ham and eggs like the plague. The new ratpacks are a lot better now. Fortunately it has been a while since I have had to dine from one :)

wtr

Likes Dirt
Fortunately it has been a while since I have had to dine from one :)
*Reggy voice* "are you fucking shitting me?!" :p

I reckon Menu C is the better one out of the 5s, none of that freeze dried rice and baked beans in others. The cordial in them might be unsavoury, but it's essential to replenish your electrolyte levels especially when you sweat heaps.

Out field, those cheese can block you up real good for a couple of days. If constipation persists, get help, soon.

contagion

Likes Dirt
If there was a way to stab you through the internet i would do it right now!
sorry, just every skater I've met to date has been a dumbshit asshole. I'm willing to except that they're not all dumbshit assholes if you can show me one that's not, but til I meet one I'm going to have to stereotype them as dumbshit assholes.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yo, kung pow, that link doesnt seem to be working.

Were you by any chance in the cadets around Bray Park...and know someone called kenneth smith?

parallax

Likes Dirt
The only way to stop the average soldier from feeling horny is to load the Bromide into a 155mm Howitzer shell and fire it at him from the waist down.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! gold. New sig! :D

Last week I was just off helping my old Cadet Unit, we were using rats with no worries.

I believe the Army's approach to fixing the situation with the peanuts in the rat pack is to put a big sticker on it saying, "Caution - may contain nuts".

My biggest tip for the new rats is to buy a nice big bottle of Tobasco (the new rats dont have any!!) or similar hot sauce, and apply liberally to all boil bag items.
Also, never trade the fruit jerky (frerky). That shit is great to eat when you're feeling shit on piquet at 4am in the morning.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
ah yeh heard about that...
not sure if they have banned them at my school we had a camp last april that used them i can't remember when the ban came down, that would suck if they had banned them. silly boy eating things he's allergic to.
I did some work with some Cadets (as a high ropes guide), and they didn't have rat packs, just a collection of random ration things (condensed milk ect) and Back-county dehydrated meals. Basically, the rat packs didn't have enough infomation( or variation?) for allergy sufferers.
Not sure if you will have them though. Maybe.