Back Yamma Bigfoot 2011 (Entries close Monday 22nd August)

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Welcome to the 2011 Back Yamma Bigfoot thread.

The 2011 event will be held on the 4th September. http://www.backyammabigfoot.com.au/

Over the next few months we'll be adding content to this thread and answering question as needed. Feel free to contribute. Our previous thread can be accessed here - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?201539-Back-Yamma-Bigfoot-(Photos-on-event-website)&highlight=back+yamma+bigfoot

What is the Back Yamma Bigfoot?
The BYBF is a 25, 50 or 100km MTB enduro in the Back Yamma State Forest. Back Yamma is 20km south east of Parkes, NSW. The race consists of a 50km loop (The Bigfoot) through a relatively flat forest of eucalypts and cypress pine. The course consists of approx. 30km of single track and the rest fire trail. The 25km option (The Little foot) covers the first half of the Bigfoot, while the 100km race (Two Big Feet) consists of two laps of the Bigfoot.

Because of the relative flatness (only 60m between highest and lowest points) of the course, the ride is fast. By all means it's still a tough race, but is ideally suited to those people wanting to step up to their first 50km or 100km race, or those riders wanting to set a personal best time over these distances. Just to give you an idea of how fast it is, the winner of last years 100km event finished in 3hr 47mins. WOW!

The single track is fun, with a few hills to make it interesting. There is a nice big camping ground where everyone can have their own personal camp fire, and camping is free. We are a small club, the Central West Off Road Bicycle Club (CWORBC), and our goal is to offer a good quality, fun event, at a reasonable price. This will be the second year for the event and have lots of good improvements planned.

We look forward to seeing you out this way in September.

Cheers from the Back Yamma Bigfoot Team

Last edited:

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Entry

We are currently redesigning our online entry system and planning to open entries late April. We are applying to forests NSW to increase entrant numbers from 300 to 400, as last year we sold out.

Heaps of rain over summer has the forest looking amazing and as usual great riding. Some new photos will be posted on the website shortly.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm really looking forward to this actually. Heard great reports from last year. Hoping to drag up a contingent from the Mexican border.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
This was a fun well run event last year and we're really looking forward to it again.

Camping area is fantastic, its huge and firewood plentiful. Oh and did they mention how FAST it was?

JD26

Likes Dirt
Definitely heading back to this event!

We will have a good crew up from Canberra hitting up both the 50 and the 100km options.

Had a great time last time on some super trails.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Entries open Monday the 2nd of May at 9:00am

Entries open Monday the 2nd of May at 9:00am

We have expanded the range of categories available and will now include three age categories, Junior (under 18), Open and Masters (40+). We are also including a single speed category for the 50km and 100km.

www.backyammabigfoot.com.au

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Enjoyed it almost...my own fault had too many drinks the night before was lead astray by friends at dinner at the pub who were doing the 50 and one who had actually pulled out! How bad is that? :D

The temperatures were warm and I was already sweating when I got out of the car, it turned out to be a warm day, for me it was a couple of degrees warmer than the thermometer. Nevertheless had a good time and want to come back...in the meantime I'm getting a new hip so maybe it will have to be the 50 this time around. We'll see.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Just purchased a new RFID system today. Five months to perfect it.

One of the main requests from last years competitors was to improve the timing system and the speed of posting results. This new system should tick all the boxes.

JessD

Likes Dirt
thinking about it for sure...

Sounds like fun...might be time for a road trip and add a few things in the mix...its a long way from Forrest but September might be just perfect for a trip to Parkes.

Like the sound of not many hills and fast!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll make that real easy for you Jess. Drive to Albury and then jump on the AWMTB minibus of super-happy-fun-times.

I shouldn't be looking forward to a race as much as I am looking forward to this one.

Seb511

Squid
I rode this event last year and being my first go at a 100km race (or anything above 25km race distance for that matter!) it was a good experience. I would definately recommend this race to anyone riding a 100km for the first time. Like stated above it is very fast and flat and has some nice single track in places. Will the track be different from last year? the other thing was that the temperatures last year were ideal (i think about 22- 23 degrees) so not that hot.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
I also rode the 100km last year. Except I couldn't resist hitting a hidden tree stump 5km in.

On a serious note - what's the tree stump removal strategy like this year? It struck me (ha!) that some of the stumps were created by chopping some trees down that didn't need to be chopped down. If they weren't it would have been unlikely I would have willingly chosen a line to overtake someone with a tree in the way.

Not getting narky or anything - just found it nonsensical. Rider briefing warned about the hazards - but why actively create those hazards when you don't have to.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Wow this race sounds interesting! +1 and I are toying with the idea of doing a 100km MTB race.

I seem to drink a tonne of water, etc. Is there a transition area for riders (refill water bottles, etc) coming through to do their 2nd lap (for the 100km). Any other hydration areas on the course?

For those, ahem, extra precious types, (not naming names of course!) are there other accomodation options besides camping?

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Wow this race sounds interesting! +1 and I are toying with the idea of doing a 100km MTB race.

I seem to drink a tonne of water, etc. Is there a transition area for riders (refill water bottles, etc) coming through to do their 2nd lap (for the 100km). Any other hydration areas on the course?

For those, ahem, extra precious types, (not naming names of course!) are there other accomodation options besides camping?
Yeah, there's a spot you can leave your own water bottles, or fill up your camelbak from a tank. And the venue is 15mins out of Parkes. There are a few caravan parks/motels to choose from - but I regretted this last time, and wish I had camped, as it seemed to be really quite fun from what I saw.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
On a serious note - what's the tree stump removal strategy like this year? It struck me (ha!) that some of the stumps were created by chopping some trees down that didn't need to be chopped down. If they weren't it would have been unlikely I would have willingly chosen a line to overtake someone with a tree in the way.

Not getting narky or anything - just found it nonsensical. Rider briefing warned about the hazards - but why actively create those hazards when you don't have to.

I guess our stump removal stategy is to remove those stumps closest to the track that pose a danger. We spent a couple of weekends in the lead up to last years event and removed stumps from a particularly bad 8km section of track. This year we will probably do about the same... though we might focus on the first 8-10km of single track, where over taking and congestion is likely to be greatest.

It is just unfortunate that the forestry operations have left so many stumps. I also learnt the hard way that straying from the track can end in greif. Stump removal is slow going for a couple of blokes with Mattocks, but we'll do our best.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes

We'll have water at the 25km mark and then water and transition at the start finish area. This means you can access water at 25km, 50km and 75km.

Plenty of motels and b&b's in the area (Parkes and Forbes). Parkes is closest to the event centre. At the bottom of this page there is a list of accommodation in Parkes - http://www.backyammabigfoot.com.au/tourism/

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
A quick lap out at Back Yamma this morning. A few spiders webs on some of the northern single track, but in great condition.

Forestry activities have finished close to the main fire trail and Forests NSW have given us the go ahead to re-open the single track. It'll be plenty of work, but this was some of my favourite track. If we are lucky, we'll be able to replace that big long fire trail section towards the end of the Bigfoot (50km) lap with some more nice single track.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Bigfoot is a family friendly creature

Sasquatch has put together a list of activities to entertain the entire family over the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of September. Apart from the three different race lengths, the following activities will make a great family weekend away: Astronomy viewing night (Saturday night), kids bicycle skills workshop (Sunday), a variety of local tourists attractions (all weekend). For more details see http://www.backyammabigfoot.com.au/