Banshee Paradox V3

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I swear I thought I had already posted this. It must be somewhere else.

In a word, sublime.
It took some tweaking though. First ride i hated it. Coming off FS bikes it felt harsh and I just couldn't put any power down. I was actually going to sell it as i wheeled if back into the garage.

The STA meant I had lots of weight on my shoulders and I was still getting back to form following surgery.
It did climb well though.

I put a 160mm Lyrik on, Hope Fortus 30s, 2.6" and 2.4" tyres on with lower pressures and a 210mm dropper and by ride three I was hooked.

It's comfortable, muted on the trail, agile and requires an active ride.it makes trails great fun and more engaging. It's also very quiet, I sound like a cat landing with it from jumps.its very predictable and consistent in the air too.

I'd like a touch more length on the rear, 10mm / 15mm given its an XL. And I need to change the handlebars as the 35mm ones on there are too stiff.

I still have to learn to ride it as I'm slower than I'd like on some sections. Rooty, rutted sections in particular. I'm definitely keeping it though for the time being.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Sublime sums it up well. I will do a PYR on mine in a couple of weeks once I get it totally sorted. It's a hardtail that begs to be riden hard. I'm pleasantly surprised having never owned a slacker am hardtail.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sublime sums it up well. I will do a PYR on mine in a couple of weeks once I get it totally sorted. It's a hardtail that begs to be riden hard. I'm pleasantly surprised having never owned a slacker am hardtail.
Likewise. I always liked the look of the Canfield EPO along with some Transition bike. TransAM?

The aggro hardtail has a lot going for it. I ride it now and think if I only had this to ride it'd be more than acceptable.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey Reverend, I'm close to buying my next bike!

I wish I could afford a Banshee, it looks amazing but I'm starting to cast my gaze toward the Specialized Fuse. It's a bit on the heavy side, the spec is a bit budget compared to Nukeproof etc and the seat angle could be considered slack compared to the Banshee but apparently the overall package is a lot of fun, especially with super short chainstays!

Unless you want to sell yours for $2,300... ;)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Reverend, I'm close to buying my next bike!

Unless you want to sell yours for $2,300... ;)
I'm certainly keeping mine. ;^)
If you really want the Paradox I'd hold on, as the prices of some frames must start to drop. The V3 FS frames are cheaper too than when they were first released.

You could always just get in contact with MTB Direct and throw them an offer?

It's such an awesome riding bike and for me I find it makes rides a lot more fun.

If not the Nukeproof, is there anything else? NORCO Torrent? Or the Pole Taival?

HamboCairns

Nukeproof Scout 290, Ragley Big Al or the GT Zaskar LT. Not keen on any others due to pricing. My budget is between $1,800 and $2,200 so the Banshee would be a bit outside of that!

Scotty675

Cable thief
I would second that the paradox v3 is a worthy contender even though they are a little more expensive. I'd throw mtb direct an offer, the worst they can say in no. They did have them sub $1000 for a while (frame only).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, I'm sorry it's taken a while to update this but, well life...

I've been having a prolonged and very happy love affair with the Paradox. It's secure, fun, comfortable, nimble and agile as well as light on maintenance.
The only issue I had with my set up was with the forks. I'd picked up a set of new Lyrik Select Plus forks and whilst stiff and plush, the LSC did precisely nothing to firm up the ride. Some might believe it works, but for my weight, tastes and sensitivity it was like a volume knob.

I'd considered selling it, (felt bad about passing that problem on down the road to someone else), getting a different fork (DVO or Fox 36) or just an RC2 damper.
The RC2 damper is actually pretty expensive as it is and they're like hen's teeth to find.
In talking to Cyclinic, they suggested the Push HC97. Different set up completely with this damper and far more control on HSC + LSC. The forks needed a service anyway in my view so for less than the cost of the RC2 damper, they installed the Push one.

Sent, serviced, installed and returned inside 10 days (especially during covid times) is very impressive from VIC to QLD.

They were delivered this morning, and with Lysterfield close by, it was inevitable that I'd hook up a shakedown ride.
First ride I set off at their prescribed settings: LSC 17, HSC 14, Rebound 9 (all from full closed) It felt good but not quite what I was after.

Eased off everything until it just felt how I wanted it to and now I'm ruined.

The fork is SO supportive yet supple. Out of the saddle sprints sees very little movement on the fork (previously it went through over 70% of its travel doing the same thing).

Rough and root strewn trails are just smoothed out, and bigger hits are ludicrously smooth and plush. I had the C1 seal heads added to the airshaft so it now sits higher in the travel for the same air pressure.
I purposely sought out rough trails which usually have me feeling the limits of the Select Plus damper. With this, it's just calm, composed and comfortable. It's not bottomed out, despite me hitting a jump that would normally do so.

Adjustment is clear and precise and feels more deliberate and less plastic like than the RC2.
Compared to the RC2 on my Remedy it's significantly better, in every single way.
If you're on the fence and seriously considering it - get it. It's that good. Here's some pictures just to show what it looks like.
I can appreciate that it sounds like confirmation bias (after all it's not cheap and I want it to work) but it really does the job. I've found the RC2 to be 6/10 compared to the HC97 at 10/10. The only way I think it could be improved is by converting to a coil possibly?

And here's the bike in full (unclean) glory.
I also installed a 203mm front rotor too, that makes a nice difference and suits the bike given how it's ridden.

That's a 210mm dropper post. Yes, I've got long legs! :^)

Thought I'd better update the spec on it too.
XL Paradox V3
Fork: Rockshox Lyrik 160mm with Push HC97 damper
Wheels: Hope Fortus 30 front and rear (blue hubs) Hope Pro4 Hubs
Transmission: XT 11speed groupset 32t chainring
Cassette: Sunrace 46-11 cassette
Chainguide: Praxisworks
Pedals: Shimano XT
Brakes: Shimano XT 203mm front / 180mm rear.
Bars: Bontrager Rhythm Pro Carbon bars 35mm diameter, 780mm X 27.5mm
Stem: Bontrager Rhythm Pro 50mm
ODI Rogue grips
Tyres: Bontrager XR4 2.6" front / XR4 2.4" rear
Dropper Post: One Up components 210mm
Frame protection: AMS XL kit

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
Thank mate, I have a ACS3 converted Lyrik with a RC2 damper and I can say it is by far the best fork I have ridden. If a damper can make that much difference then I definitely need to look into this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's the only way I can imagine it getting better. I've the C1 upgrade but it's still air. If you've got the coil you're already on the road.

I never thought a fork could be this good. What must the 11-6 shock be like?

In all honesty, the RC2 is ok, and I'm no princess on sensitivity but the HC97 really walks away from it, and I'm comparing it to a new fork in the RC2.

HamboCairns

That's quite a big saddle to handlebar difference there, do you prefer being more forward down on the bike?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's quite a big saddle to handlebar difference there, do you prefer being more forward down on the bike?
I don't really want the bars / cockpit any higher, and I've just got ridiculously long legs. I can ride it with the seat a little lower but I feel it on climbs.

In the garage / spares box, I do have a 30mm rise set of bars which I can use with a 60mm stem but it fits nicely right now.

All of my bikes look like that, and as seat tubes get shorter / droppers longer, the effect is more pronounced.

HamboCairns

I don't really want the bars / cockpit any higher, and I've just got ridiculously long legs. I can ride it with the seat a little lower but I feel it on climbs.

In the garage / spares box, I do have a 30mm rise set of bars which I can use with a 60mm stem but it fits nicely right now.

All of my bikes look like that, and as seat tubes get shorter / droppers longer, the effect is more pronounced.
The height difference would still be the same of course, I feel it in my lower back and hands (pins and needles). Love the frame!

goobags

Likes Dirt
It's the only way I can imagine it getting better. I've the C1 upgrade but it's still air. If you've got the coil you're already on the road.

I never thought a fork could be this good. What must the 11-6 shock be like?

In all honesty, the RC2 is ok, and I'm no princess on sensitivity but the HC97 really walks away from it, and I'm comparing it to a new fork in the RC2.
I will be aiming to get an 11-6 on my next dually frame, everyone proper raves about them. Maybe the HC97 could be a good starting point.

Nice Paradox BTW, I was super keen on them when they were released but wanted something singlespeed capable out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, more suspension fettling.
I put my Lyrik with the Push HC97 damper on my Prime with a new set of Hope Fortus 30. And on the Paradox V3 I decided to try the Suntour Durolux RC2.

I'm very pleased to report that it's (at least in my view) as good as the Lyrik RC2 that's on my Remedy.
Supple, supportive, direct and plush. Easily worth the money and makes you question going Rockshox.

It's not as good as the HC97 on the Prime though. That thing is excellent. And with the Fox Factory X2 on the rear it's hard to imagine air shocks being any better.