Bargain buys thread

fin7

Squid
Nice pussies!

I got one of these Aldi stands today and will need to clamp from seat tube only on one of my bikes, I think I be getting the drill out to pin it as so much weight will be on the front, or perhaps some rubbery gasket seal kind of stuff rubbed on the clamp tube would help grip to stop sag.

I'll also be using it for wood working activities as a third arm so it's a good tool to have around even when not in bike stand mode!

Its a decent stand for some regular maintenance at this pricepoint. A built a hardtail up last year on it, one thing that was annoying was the the part that held the handlebar rigid broke pretty easily. Still use the stand but was bleeding my brakes a few weeks ago and the handlebars kept moving which was annoying but what do you expect for that price.

fin7

Squid
Manitou Shocks

Hi Guys, need your honest opinion. Having never owned a full suspension and always ridden hardtail I'd like to build my first FS bike. The thing is I'd have to pick up parts as I go along and finish the build overtime. I've no frame at the minute and having just bought a motorbike that might have to wait for a while as the war office might not be happy :) I've been sussing out some cheap parts on clickbike and seen some rear shocks without any mounting hardware.

what are your opinions on these rear shocks before a bite the bullet.

http://www.clickbike.com.au/#!manitou-rear-shocks/cwxa

I've been looking at the Evolver ISX-6.

Are these any good and know at that price its worth the risk but I'd like your opinions.

thanks a lot.

Shaun

slowmick

38-39"
fin7/shaun - unless you are looking for a nice piece of art you need to pick a frame first so you know the size of the shock required. good luck in choosing your first FS - they are a whole new level of fun.

fin7

Squid
fin7/shaun - unless you are looking for a nice piece of art you need to pick a frame first so you know the size of the shock required. good luck in choosing your first FS - they are a whole new level of fun.
Thanks mate, yeah your are right. Whatever bike I get I'll want to be happy with how it looks as much as how it performs. thanks for the input.

Shaun

driftking

Wheel size expert
Thanks mate, yeah your are right. Whatever bike I get I'll want to be happy with how it looks as much as how it performs. thanks for the input.

Shaun
+1 its not just been happy with how it will look and perform. Its more that all bikes vary with the shock size/length, leverage ratios (which can change spring rate needed, if not going air shock), headset needs to fit in the frame and the fork needs to fit the headset. Crank and bottom brackets are the same deal as are rear hub spacings and even now wheel size is a factor.

The frame really dictates lots of what you need to to buy in terms of fitting it all together.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I don't use Schwable and wasn't sure if a good buy or not just see them mentioned a lot :)
Fair enough.
Performance are on the low end of the spectrum. :)

Guess this special brings most of them in-line with CRC's prices on Performance variants... just a shame T7's shipping time is still like 7 days (in my experience).

Minlak

custom titis
CRC have XT Brakes for $89 a side and use the code COMP get 10% more off so down to $79 ish a side.

The code works on lots of other components too btw

Minlak

custom titis
Are XT brakes that much better than SLX?

Is it the weight? Braking power? Thats better.
If I had current SLX I would not upgrade to XT. Having said that I certainly advocate spending money for the sake of spending it and am about to change my XT's to Hopes :)

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Are XT brakes that much better than SLX?

Is it the weight? Braking power? Thats better.
pretty much identical. xt come with a pad axle for the brake pads and slx come with a pin. you can buy the pad axle from wiggle for $3 if you want it. ummmm xt comes in shinier colors too.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Merlin Cycles - Shimano XT M785 Disc Brakeset - On sale = $167.39
For those that haven't used Merlin before. Up to 3 week delivery time for free delivery, never paid for/tried express or other alternatives though. I have multiple orders with them over the last few years, all good so far. Cheers