Best enduro bike sub $5000

dunndog

Eats Squid
Well this kicked off. I was the one who bumped the thread as it never got a response and was a very similar question to the one I had. I knew using the 'enduro' word was a bad idea, but seeing as though someone else already had, I ran with it. For those wondering, I am still stuck between buying new, buying second hand, and building a bike. Nothing within my budget is screaming "buy me" just yet. Has turned into a great thread by the way. Good banter. At least I go in knowing that I will be completely ostracised when I show up at a DH practice day on an AM bike.
No you won't mate. I never have been, and have never seen it happen. Empty cans rattle the loudest.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I agree that the reason we don't have chair lifts for MTBing is very complex as are the reasons we don't have more bike parks and trails in general. The reality of the situation is that we have to make do with what we do have, which is best done with minimal whinging about we don't have and frequent trips overseas :whoo:
You're right! We do not have snow in this country

Well this kicked off. I was the one who bumped the thread as it never got a response and was a very similar question to the one I had. I knew using the 'enduro' word was a bad idea, but seeing as though someone else already had, I ran with it. For those wondering, I am still stuck between buying new, buying second hand, and building a bike. Nothing within my budget is screaming "buy me" just yet. Has turned into a great thread by the way. Good banter. At least I go in knowing that I will be completely ostracised when I show up at a DH practice day on an AM bike.
Just broke my word counter trying to count how many time "I" was in this.

Buy the Intense tracer pro spec already! Sell off whatever you don't like and customise it.

tick

Likes Bikes
Yeah i just don,t get it This whole bike class warfare
Trust me Mountain Biking has never been better in regards to trail , bikes and public acceptance
There is a style of bike for everybody,s preferred riding style and a helluva lot of varied trails to ride em on ( including a shitload of approved ,sometimes even funded by council ) I will admit Downhill tracks appear to be more evil than an Ice epidemic to local, state and federal politicians.
Yet you seemed to be judged these days on not how you ride it , but instead WHAT you ride. The whole thing is about having fun with the added bonus of some fitness .
The reality is if we want more from the powers at be you have to work for it , yet were to busy all fighting amongst ourselves because the guy with the 29 inch wheels thinks the guy with 26 inch wheels is a moron who in turn thinks the guy on the fat bike is numbnutted, but he doesn,t notice coz he is calling the Enduro rider a retard for having 160mm of travel both ends, meanwhile the XC guy is giving the fixie riding dude a hard time coz he is lighter than him meanwhile the DH guy is speechless at the moment coz he is getting his breath back from pedalling to the meeting which is at the top of a hill all the while Peter klunker thinks everyone is an assclown coz they have brakes.
Shouldn,t we all just be riding our bike and having fun , maybe do some monos and even some fully sick skids ( except for Peter coz he hasn,t got brakes )

Last edited:

Juan Dinger

Likes Bikes
Buy the Intense tracer pro spec already! Sell off whatever you don't like and customise it.
I almost did pull the trigger on one of those at the amazing price they were, but now the Large is gone, so that put a hault to that. Thanks for the input though Poodle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah i just don,t get it This whole bike class warfare
Trust me Mountain Biking has never been better in regards to trail , bikes and public acceptance
There is a style of bike for everybody,s preferred riding style and a helluva lot of varied trails to ride em on ( including a shitload of approved ,sometimes even funded by council ) I will admit Downhill tracks appear to be more evil than an Ice epidemic to local, state and federal politicians.
Yet you seemed to be judged these days on not how you ride it , but instead WHAT you ride. The whole thing is about having fun with the added bonus of some fitness .
The reality is if we want more from the powers at be you have to work for it , yet were to busy all fighting amongst ourselves because the guy with the 29 inch wheels thinks the guy with 26 inch wheels is a moron who in turn thinks the guy on the fat bike is numbnutted, but he doesn,t notice coz he is calling the Enduro rider a retard for having 160mm of travel both ends, meanwhile the XC guy is giving the fixie riding dude a hard time coz he is lighter than him meanwhile the DH guy is speechless at the moment coz he is getting his breath back from pedalling to the meeting which is at the top of a hill all the while Peter klunker thinks everyone is an assclown coz they have brakes.
Shouldn,t we all just be riding our bike and having fun , maybe do some monos and even some fully sick skids ( except for Peter coz he hasn,t got brakes )
Ummmm...nobody likes fixie riders dude. Nobody. Even fixie riders hate them. They are shitter than cx, which is really shit.

I almost did pull the trigger on one of those at the amazing price they were, but now the Large is gone, so that put a hault to that. Thanks for the input though Poodle.
That hurts. If those prices had been on when I purchased my current build project, I would be on a tracer! It would look very sexy next to my 951.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
What no one likes CX? Oh well I guess no one will like me when I get one. Actually if it pisses people off that sounds like more of a reason to get one.

I really dont get people hating on a type of bike. At the peak my most frequent DH riding I had my DH rig, a 5" dually, dirtjumper, XC bike, XC singlespeed, roadie and a 20" fixie chopper. I was more than happy to ride road during the week and then hit DH runs on a saturday and rock up for a XC race on a Sunday with more runs on the Sunday arvo. Fuck I lived to ride bikes.

Actually reminds me that the xc singlespeed had the shitest shit frame with nice wheels and forks but was sleeper with no stickers to let the uninformed know the fork was actually nice. Fuck it was fun putting "hardcore" gumbies in their place. Good times.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see a lot of cx riders cutting up good trail with their skinny tyres, poor braking skills, and insistence that cx is a good wet weather idea. I know of a specific jump that was (for a while) covered in cx cuts up the ramp and down the other side. Not so much since the jump was repaired thankfully.

Right bike in the right place and people are happy.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I just don't see the point of riding a road bike off-road, and having to carry it half the time.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
Sam Hill is such a has been and a massive pussie. Oh no that's right - he's a multiple World Cup and world champs winner who's still racing internationally at the pointy end and loving life.
Douche.
I think he needs to dust off one of his shagged old Ironhorse Sundays and head to Champery as a privateer; watch him spank Gwin's arse (possibly lose that klunker helmet too).

I still get greatest enjoyment from watching any of Hill's old segments (Earthed 5, F1RST, the Tipping Point) in comparison to anything that has come out since. Everyone is creaming themselves while speaking about his riding.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks mate, I'm now cleaning up coffee from my monitor.
You're certainly welcome :tongue1:

I say let your riding do the talking. I never sledge anyone in my riding group for what they ride, I might have an occasional joke with some of the people but that's it.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Ummmm...nobody likes fixie riders dude. Nobody. Even fixie riders hate them. They are shitter than cx, which is really shit.
True... but must suck to be an Enduro rider. They think they are the only ones riding with their bikes up and down the hills and that makes them go "interdiscipline", so basically they think they can beat Froome, Anna Meares and Sam Hill at the same time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
True... but must suck to be an Enduro rider. They think they are the only ones riding with their bikes up and down the hills and that makes them go "interdiscipline", so basically they think they can beat Froome, Anna Meares and Sam Hill at the same time.
Are you saying they can't? That's a big call man.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
They're all fucking bikes, just shut the fuck up and enjoy riding the fucking things with like minded fuckers, no matter what they fucking ride!

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're all fucking bikes, just shut the fuck up and enjoy riding the fucking things with like minded fuckers, no matter what they fucking ride!
Your bike is particularly shit. I would not be caught dead on one of those things.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Your bike is particularly shit. I would not be caught dead on one of those things.
Oh dear, he's not riding one of those one hundred and sixty millimetre jobs is he? With the big wheels that aren't as big as they get, but sort of in between?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Oh dear, he's not riding one of those one hundred and sixty millimetre jobs is he? With the big wheels that aren't as big as they get, but sort of in between?
Did someone just say my name? :tape2:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something like that. Made by some Canadian back yard operation.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I agree unless it has a motor of any sort or damages the tracks that aren't meant for it.