BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The online saga was pretty hilarious to watch from the sidelines

My rack decision many moons ago just came down to supporting local… at the time that was George and iSi.

I still have it and it still works like the day I bought it.
Great racks ! My ISI is 10yrs old. We have 2 different car attachments for it, I made a 1 bike and 2 bike attachment to go onto it to make it a 3 or 4 bike rack.

Its done over 100,000km on 4 different vehicles and also fitted on our caravan (sold), camper (sold) and trailer.

I even used it a week ago to take a bike to Melrose. Sits in behind a 4WD like it wasn't even there.

Will probably get more use again as my 2 boys have stopped riding, just my bikes again at this time.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I was a little bummed when the Single Trail racks went to their new pivot design which is a single bolt through the join.... I loved the old design which had a large circular hollow pivot... looked awesome. Either way I think it's pretty awesome Mitch shipped me a whole new lower including foot operated release unsolicited due to the possible chance that the old design had issues. Solid support right there.

ozzybmx

I was a little bummed when the Single Trail racks went to their new pivot design which is a single bolt through the join.... I loved the old design which had a large circular hollow pivot... looked awesome. Either way I think it's pretty awesome Mitch shipped me a whole new lower including foot operated release unsolicited due to the possible chance that the old design had issues. Solid support right there.
They were sent for everyone. I reckon it was @moorey said that the replacement of hundreds of pivots nearly put his company under.

He has sent me a new pivot, security bolts, a wheel hoop that was damaged by carrying an ebike on a non ebike rated rack, then done me a great deal on an upgrade to a new RFS EZY rack.

Great service for sure.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Welders get about .47cents an hour..
It's not hard to push a button and close your eyes.
Depends if you are talking about a trade qualified welder or a "welder" which is someone that does not a lot more that simply pull the trigger.
A qualified Boilermaker/Welder will get paid more than some engineers these days. There's such a demand for skilled labour.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends if you are talking about a trade qualified welder or a "welder" which is someone that does not a lot more that simply pull the trigger.
A qualified Boilermaker/Welder will get paid more than some engineers these days. There's such a demand for skilled labour.
A mate of mine is a boiler maker and gets $90/h as a subbie 50hrs a week, every week. $230k is not bad going. I don't even rate him as a great welder, but we do more TIG on cars which is pretty where he's just sticking together warehouses with an arc.

ozzybmx

A mate of mine is a boiler maker and gets $90/h as a subbie 50hrs a week, every week. $230k is not bad going. I don't even rate him as a great welder, but we do more TIG on cars which is pretty where he's just sticking together warehouses with an arc.
Another good thing about having a trade, not stuck on a 38h a week fixed contract/wage. A tradie can work as long and hard as they want, doing 80+hrs a week are normal for some.

New bike, Jetski, interest rates are up, holiday, new Ranger... couple of Sat'dees will sort that out.

ozzybmx

neck tattoo's
I have 8 tattoos, ranging from 35yrs old to the last at 15yrs (kids names) every one of them meant something and I don't regret any of them

All are hidden even when I wear shorts and tee.

I have had about 4 of them redone, 1 has been done twice, mine are simple solid shapes and letters. They lose detail and sharpness over time.

Some of the kids these days with the tats on the neck, full legs and sleeves... going to look like deformed blobs in 10yrs long after the Raptor and jetski are gone.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Show me the good part again?
I have friends who’ve done this. Both at a desk and on a work site. Every one in my circle later regretted never seeing kids grow up or taking time to breathe.
YMMV
There's a happy medium, if you are constantly working for toys at the expense of seeing your children grow up, well they deserve the regret.

Having a financial surprise or commitment pop up and not have to worry about it because you can pay for it with a few weeks OT is a great option most contracted white collar workers dont have.

Young men trade qualified with no responsibilities can head to the mines and coin in 250k a year easily... thats a fair head start for a mid 20's bloke.

On a round of shifts, over 5 days I do about 75hrs... but then I get 7 days off :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Show me the good part again?
I have friends who’ve done this. Both at a desk and on a work site. Every one in my circle later regretted never seeing kids grow up or taking time to breathe.
YMMV
We had engineers who bitched that a boily or turbine fitter pulled $200k while they were on low $100k. Well go to site for 10 months of the year away from family, away from any social life beyond a few beers with fellow workers, sleeping in cramped quarters etc and then do the 12 hour shifts 7 days a week after getting shit money for the first 4 years and average money for the next 10 still working shifts.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Another good thing about having a trade, not stuck on a 38h a week fixed contract/wage. A tradie can work as long and hard as they want, doing 80+hrs a week are normal for some.

New bike, Jetski, interest rates are up, holiday, new Ranger... couple of Sat'dees will sort that out.
At our age if you're still working 80hour weeks this must be your job at the power station.;)
r0_0_2400_1832_w1200_h678_fmax.jpeg

After 30 something years of trade work my body is destroyed. Not that I ever worked 80 hours and a Raptor and Jet ski are the last thing I was but I barely have a standard work week in me these days.

moorey

call me Mia
We had engineers who bitched that a boily or turbine fitter pulled $200k while they were on low $100k. Well go to site for 10 months of the year away from family, away from any social life beyond a few beers with fellow workers, sleeping in cramped quarters etc and then do the 12 hour shifts 7 days a week after getting shit money for the first 4 years and average money for the next 10 still working shifts.
Pass. Money is low on my priority list. I’m on average money but love my work, and the flexibility and quality of life it gives me is worth far more than a stressful job and long hours. I’ve never understood glorifying the grind.

ozzybmx

Pass. Money is low on my priority list. I’m on average money but love my work, and the flexibility and quality of life it gives me is worth far more than a stressful job and long hours. I’ve never understood glorifying the grind.
A good position to be in and a good attitude. Just remember some blokes are driven into this lifestyle either by living beyond their means or their wife living a selfish life of fancy houses and flash cars. I know many people in this position, many the latter.

Personally I actually only work 10 days short of a 36hr week and do zero OT.
5 on, 7 off, 4 on, 7 off, 5 on, 7 off.
10 days owed was negotiated to 6 training days a year.
So working 14 shifts out of a 35 day cycle. Those are 12hr days/nights and I've been a shift worker for 30yrs.
Zero stress, do the job while I'm there and home after every shift. Don't even get a phone call on my days off. It's the best roster on the planet.

Those 7 days off after every round let's me piss off to the shack on my own and ride :cool:

moorey

call me Mia
Just remember some blokes are driven into this lifestyle either by living beyond their means or their wife living a selfish life of fancy houses and flash cars. I
I don’t really buy this shit sorry. My instagram is full of this. Toxic masculinity and male insecurities, blaming women in general for their need to have the biggest, fastest, newest and most expensive life.
Unpopular opinion, and I’m generalising, but alpha male and men’s right movement that worships Andrew Tate and his micro-penis crew can blow me.

ozzybmx

When your missus thinks work is beneath her and lives a coffee life with her cronies, dressed in designer gear and driving an AMG while you pay for it. The only thing I feel for is the poor chunt who is putting up with the selfish bitch.