BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Few more questions...why high roller over front loader? I read that the high roller might have issues with mounting... but I'll be getting new roof racks anyway.
Any reason why you guys favour the high roller?
I've got the front loader, the high roller looks like pretty much the same thing to me.

No issues at all with mounting, fastest rack I have ever used.

I love it because I can mount pretty much any bike I want, any wheel size, any fame design or material, doesn't matter. And all super quick and stable.

They are not perfect, the lock on the cable simply fell out(!) at one point, and the plastics are degrading a bit in the sun, but it is a fair few years old new, and spends it's whole life outdoors.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Might merge this in with the font of all carrier wisdom megathread, if y'all don't mind.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I guess that this should go here then..... From the people who have tried and tested *everything* out there.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Guys, if you're going to load bikes into the back of a modern ute then you *must* tie the bikes down securely - particularly if you're going to hit the open road.

As some here will already know, when things go sour when travelling with bikes, we are invariably contacted to supply the right solution. It breaks my heart to hear of misfortune out there and see some beautiful bikes smashed - because people have accepted advice that is clearly not applicable in their circumstances. We get to see it all.

Every now and then someone captures it on video.

Here are a couple of screen shots.

Ute out on the open road, bikes in the back and the van from the opposite direction drives past. The gust of wind scavenges the tub and pulls the bikes up and out.

Bikes fly and bounce down the highway. Like many of the poor choices made out there, you never realize it until its too late and damage done.

Video here: http://www.isi-carriers.com/temp/ute_fail/ute_fail.mp4

While I'm at it, we also see plenty of bent and broken roof mount systems under the very same circumstances so do be careful and check the bike when you feel that the car has been buffeted from passing vehicles.

When people are on holidays and something goes wrong, we move heaven and earth to get product out quickly but to be frank, it adds chaos to our ordered business. I would much prefer that all travel is smooth and zero hassle.

Bike rack for a convertible car

Hi all,

So my boss asked if I know of a bike rack that will fit is Lexus IS 250 C which is a hard top convertible. He definitely does not want to put a tow bar on it for aesthetic reasons so I was looking at the boot lid options. Yakima have an OK option with the King Joe range but I am wondering if anyone has tried one (or similar) on a convertible or spotted one at the trail head etc?

Any other ideas are very welcome...

Cheers!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Interested for a mate of mine. He's got a very manly Volvo C70 coupe/convertible and he can't get a towbar for it.
These might be the job if you could trust the, to hold the bike at high speed.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Interested for a mate of mine. He's got a very manly Volvo C70 coupe/convertible and he can't get a towbar for it.
These might be the job if you could trust the, to hold the bike at high speed.
We used very similar suckers for carrying large panels of 10 & 12mm toughened glass, some upwards of 100kg. Can't see these being a problem, providing you can find a flat enough surface to attach the sucker to.

The car panels are likely to deform long before the bike has any chance of coming loose.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
We used very similar suckers for carrying large panels of 10 & 12mm toughened glass, some upwards of 100kg. Can't see these being a problem, providing you can find a flat enough surface to attach the sucker to.

The car panels are likely to deform long before the bike has any chance of coming loose.
Cheers dude. I'll get him to take a look at them. Pushys did Stoke them, but out of stock now. Plus, they're $370........

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Cheers dude. I'll get him to take a look at them. Pushys did Stoke them, but out of stock now. Plus, they're $370........
That's a decent price, we paid around the $200 mark for a single diaphragm 1 handle sucker.

The big concern is storage, one little nick in the fins on the diaphragm face, and it's so much garbage.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That's a decent price, we paid around the $200 mark for a single diaphragm 1 handle sucker.

The big concern is storage, one little nick in the fins on the diaphragm face, and it's so much garbage.
I looked at the vids and they seems to all show them using covers for the cups. You'd be fairly pissed paying out a wad of cash and then damaging a cup .

loc81

Likes Dirt
Bike racks for aluminium ute trays- pics and suggestions

Guys/gals,
I just changed utes! Both Aluminium trays but the ladder rack on the previous ute was perfect for holding the bike against, whereas the new ute has a monster tray (cab chassis Ford Transit). Being a sheet metal worker, I can make my own rack but was keen so see..
- what other people are using? Custom or shop purchased?
- possibly some pics?
- ease of set up and also removable for work
- pros/cons with your set up- would you change anything?

Thanks in advance!
Loc

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've just got T track bolted on to head board and a couple of simple Delta brand fork traps mounted into the track. Given the amount of room you have I'd go with plain old shop bike wheel stands bolted or strapped into the tray...

loc81

Likes Dirt
I've just got T track bolted on to head board and a couple of simple Delta brand fork traps mounted into the track. Given the amount of room you have I'd go with plain old shop bike wheel stands bolted or strapped into the tray...
I wand thinking something along those lines. A mount for the rear wheel (1 bike or 5 I guess!) along the base of the head board that I can tie down with ratchet straps. I just want to idiot proof the front wheels I guess.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Could always mount one front and the next rear...more room that way for more bikes across the tray.

Either way the non trapped wheel can be controlled with a strap to the rear. Trapped wheel is held in place with a Velcro strap

travvyB

Likes Dirt
This is my little set up. All tie down rings and the 2 channels have fixed anchor nuts underneath the tray so can be easily removed when not carrying bikes around. Works a treat!

Attachments

Last edited: