BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Gee, thanks for the handy info captain obvious. Did you not read the part where I said I spoke to a few insurance companies who said they don't cover it? To be precise, it was whether you were at fault or not.
So if you get hit from behind you get a new bike and carrier. Pretty simple really. I can't speak for discussions that "you" had with a "few" insurance companies - nor how you presented the information or phrased your questions to the "few" insurance companies. If you rang the reputable insurance companies and described a situation where you were hit from behind then you will receive what you want to hear - and I encourage you to do so.

There's no need to go around scaring fellow cyclists by reciting stories that are not based upon accurate information.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gee, thanks for the handy info captain obvious. Did you not read the part where I said I spoke to a few insurance companies who said they don't cover it? To be precise, it was whether you were at fault or not.
Dudes just trying to help mate - Whats with your attitude?

MARKL

Eats Squid
There was also a fellow (A 'burner I think) who didn't secure his bike properly/mechanism failed and he lost his bike off the roof rack, just flew off and landed on the road. Didn't know about it till he got to work or where ever it was he was going and discovered his bike wasn't where he left it. Oops.
I have resisted commenting on this in the past but as I organised for this bike to be returned to the 'burner I can state categorically that it wasn't a failure of the rack.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Hi everyone , there maybe a thread for this already but am looking for someone who installs roof racks and a good bike carrier for a GT Force 3 . Live in the Lithgow area ,will travel as far as Penrith say and out Bathurst way .
Anyone with any help , contacts or ideas greatly appreciated . Car is a 2011 Toyota Yaris 5 door hatchback .
Many Thanks

Righto, back on Topic. Roof racks for a yaris. I have always used Rhino Racks and accessories. Great quality, and an Aussie Company. If you want, as i used to work there, if you PM me i can 'sort out' what you need etc and get a local installers name for you.
N

rone

Eats Squid
Thule ProRide 591 gets my vote. No fannying around with removing wheels and axle adapters. Just schlepp the bike on the roof, strap in the wheels and clamp the soft jaws on the down tube and she aint going nowhere

http://www.thule.com.au/thule-proride-591

I have 2 and they just stay on the roof permanently.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's no need to go around scaring fellow cyclists by reciting stories that are not based upon accurate information.
Sorry to the children out there who may be reading this thread wondering what rack setup to put on their Dad's car. Apparently my weekly dealings with various insurance companies through my employment and through the people that I help through my club who have either had to make a claim or have been the driver at fault are not convincing enough.
You've questioned situations that I've clearly said I've been involved in and I've seen people get raped by insurance companies for this type of thing. Make of it what you will but mark my words, not every company covers you so do your research.

Dudes just trying to help mate - Whats with your attitude?
Fact is a suitable substitute for attitude. ;)

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Thule ProRide 591 gets my vote. No fannying around with removing wheels and axle adapters. Just schlepp the bike on the roof, strap in the wheels and clamp the soft jaws on the down tube and she aint going nowhere

http://www.thule.com.au/thule-proride-591

I have 2 and they just stay on the roof permanently.
And the Rhino product does exactly the same but cheaper, and aussie company. Both Thule and Rhino are top quality gear.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Sorry to the children out there who may be reading this thread wondering what rack setup to put on their Dad's car. Apparently my weekly dealings with various insurance companies through my employment and through the people that I help through my club who have either had to make a claim or have been the driver at fault are not convincing enough.
You've questioned situations that I've clearly said I've been involved in and I've seen people get raped by insurance companies for this type of thing. Make of it what you will but mark my words, not every company covers you so do your research.

Fact is a suitable substitute for attitude. ;)
I call bs. http://www.nrma.com.au/car-insurance/third-party-property-damage-car-insurance

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Don't ever assume that your insurer covers your bike in an accident between your car carrying a bike and another car. I've asked this question of two insurers and they've said no, your roof mounted accessories and your towbar mounted accessory are not factory fittings and not an item you can claim on. I asked if the bike on either of the racks is covered and they said nope, not at all and it would require additional insurance cover. I told them to jam it up their arse. ;)
Thats why i got some nice bike insurance for any damage caused to the bike in any situation. Good on you Dozer, got to love finding out that your money isnt protecting your ride. Sorry for the late reply, just getting edumacated goodly

Last edited:

Mafra

Likes Bikes
+1, I have the same rack, best roof mounted rack you can get.
Agreed re: Thule ProRide 951 - I was trying decide between the front wheel on or off options & went with the proride.
Between the road bike (9mm QR) & mtb (15mm T/A) it was simpler to leave the front wheel on & buy $6 plastic step from bunnings to improve access on top of the CR-V.

wombat

Lives in a hole

And the Rhino product does exactly the same but cheaper, and aussie company. Both Thule and Rhino are top quality gear.
$5 cheaper, not really a great deal. The rhino unit does look nice though, I like the wheel cradle, only real shame IMO is that the Rhino ones are different models for LH and RH side, I like the convenience of being anble to reverse the arm on the Thule unit.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Been looking at Thule and Rhino racks for the new wheels. Thule dont do the racks to fit my car yet (new model), and the Rhino Sportz racks come in black and with no overhang.

The thule Proride will fit on the Rhino sportz rack, so i think its going to be a Thule/Rhino mixture!

Do you guys leave your racks on the car all the time? Do they mark the paintwork? The Rhino racks feet have a door frame clamp and I'm worried leaving them on will damage the paint and seals of the doors?

Anyone got any experience with this sort of rack?

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
[QUOTE=JTmofo;2637772]Been looking at Thule and Rhino racks for the new wheels. Thule dont do the racks to fit my car yet (new model), and the Rhino Sportz racks come in black and with no overhang.

The thule Proride will fit on the Rhino sportz rack, so i think its going to be a Thule/Rhino mixture!

Do you guys leave your racks on the car all the time? Do they mark the paintwork? The Rhino racks feet have a door frame clamp and I'm worried leaving them on will damage the paint and seals of the doors?

Anyone got any experience with this sort of rack?[/QUOTE]

what car is it? As there are mant versions of sportz racks as they are car specific.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Picked up and mounted the Rhino sports racks with 2x Thule 591's yesterday. Right good fit and look great. Unluckily the s*ite weather prevented a trial run this weekend..... I hate the rain!!!!

jett_e

Likes Bikes
What are people's thoughts on strap on racks? Steer clear? I have an 18 kg AM rig and am going on a short trip away in the girlfriends Mazda CX 7 and don't want to fork out almost a $1000 for a towbar and rack.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What are people's thoughts on strap on racks? Steer clear? I have an 18 kg AM rig and am going on a short trip away in the girlfriends Mazda CX 7 and don't want to fork out almost a $1000 for a towbar and rack.
I have been using one since last year ( Thule 968) before I got roof racks. I generally had 2 bikes ( my trance and the other halves giant boulder) on board, have done 500+km trips with absolutely no issues.
They are a handy addition as an interim way to transport your bike and prevent you from having to buy a roof racks or tow ball.

It just so happens my one's for sale in the trading area........