Blatant profiteering in trading section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
This thread. Wow, just wow.

Just to be clear, we have a situation here where a transaction occurred for an item that was listed on this forum;

Seller = happy
Buyer = happy
Bunch of others who are in no way shape or form involved in the transaction = not happy

This is genuinely the first forum with a trading section that is so precious about it.

Does this mean that any item that is purchased at a good price, and then sold down the track for a good price is going to cause a stir like this?

I bought my Lapierre from a member on this forum about 12 months ago and then sold it recently for significantly more than I purchased it for.

Does this mean I am unethical, etc too?

If that's the case, I'm going to think twice buying anything on here as I generally buy and sell things in about 24 months. I negotiate hard for the best purchase price and then negotiate hard for the best sell price. So I want to avoid a thread about me being unethical.

Is there more to this story as otherwise, this thread seems a little extreme.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Just to be clear, we have a situation here where a transaction occurred for an item that was listed on this forum;

Seller = happy
Buyer = happy
Bunch of others who are in no way shape or form involved in the transaction = not happy

This is genuinely the first forum with a trading section that is so precious about it.

Does this mean that any item that is purchased at a good price, and then sold down the track for a good price is going to cause a stir like this?

I bought my Lapierre from a member on this forum about 12 months ago and then sold it recently for significantly more than I purchased it for.

If that's the case, I'm going to think twice buying anything on here as I generally buy and sell things in about 24 months. I negotiate hard for the best purchase price and then negotiate hard for the best sell price. So I want to avoid a thread about me being unethical.

Oh hi Jesterarts! I haven't seen your name appear in any of the 673532 reported posts we deal with each day. You mustn't be creating a stir in just about everything you post. Safe to say you shouldn't be too worried about it in that case. ;)

Pastavore

Eats Squid

Seller = happy
Buyer = happy

Jester, the key difference is you actually rode the bike you bought. You purchased it for the purpose of using it, and were lucky enough to make a profit when you sold it. That's what the trading section is for.

What Chops was doing was purchasing things for the express purpose reselling to make a profit. That (in my and apparently other's opinion) is not what the rotorburn trading section is for. And it is not just one isolated instance.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Oh hi Jesterarts! I haven't seen your name appear in any of the 7 out of 673532 reported posts, that aren't about moorey, we deal with each day. You mustn't be creating a stir in just about everything you post. Safe to say you shouldn't be too worried about it in that case. ;)
That would certainly make them easier to prioritise........

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Oh hi Jesterarts! I haven't seen your name appear in any of the 673532 reported posts we deal with each day. You mustn't be creating a stir in just about everything you post. Safe to say you shouldn't be too worried about it in that case. ;)
Sweet! Cruising under the radar... :p

Jester, the key difference is you actually rode the bike you bought. You purchased it for the purpose of using it, and were lucky enough to make a profit when you sold it. That's what the trading section is for.

What Chops was doing was purchasing things for the express purpose reselling to make a profit. That (in my and apparently other's opinion) is not what the rotorburn trading section is for. And it is not just one isolated instance.
Fair enough. Didn't realise this wasn't an isolated incident. :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid

Did you use it? Did you intend to use it? Nothing wrong with selling later down the line but if you're purchasing just to make a profit then it's not really in the spirit of things on RB. Pretty much that is what we are debating on RB. Most people (myself included) try to price as low as possible without coming out completely out of pocket. It helps the MTB community and more importantly, gets someone on their bike. Sure, sell at a profit it you need it but I say, if you are not struggling, there is greater benefit lending a hand to a fellow burner.

tex72

Likes Dirt
As for snapping up those cranks, again I contacted Nuttr via phone, arranged a time, drove 2 hours and paid cash. Everyone was happy
In keeping with your usual fine form I see. Keep digging :tsk:

:west penno.jpg
17 min (8.7 km) via Cumberland Hwy/Pennant Hills Rd/A28

I wasn't aware of that. That's more than enough for me to pull his trading access.
Is it really enough though.
Now he can fly under the radar with pm's under cutting genuine RB'ers then flipping for profit on ebay/fb/gumtree whatever.

stirk

Burner
Wow, what a day on RB!

Trying to sell used parts for almost the same price as you can get new parts online is a bit rude and trumping a sale thread via PM downright obnoxious.

However banning chops from trading may not be the best idea.

To use an analogy, isn't it best to see the Dingo, know it's there, so you can avoid it than have it lurking in the bushes and it get's you.

i.e. Know what Chops is up to and avoid dealing with him if his prices are so high, rather than now having to deal with all his GF sister's who will sell on his behalf...:behindsofa:

He will still no doubt do a lot of buying on here and trump sales with vengeance and gloating :boink:

Minlak

custom titis
Seriously why bother? You may feel better for voicing your opinions but he is too busy winning to care. So you ban him he will just start a new account and do the same as he is winning. I am not one for staying silent normally but you are all just wasting your time.
I normally agree with making noise to fight the injustice but seriously lost cause here. People are angry because this is a community and people could have used a break with cheap cranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.