Blue Mountain Downhill Riders.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
In view of the gathering momentum and active involvement by the residents/riders of the BMCC ... it has been suggested that we gather and discuss the plan of action ... and reconfirm reps etc.

I suggest a meeting Sunday 07Mar10 at the top of OBR (Bowaga Ave) at 9am

Please indicate your intention to attend in the main advocacy thread (below)
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-Threat/page26

and pass on to those not on the forums.

Al

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Lets try have a ride day on the 20th or 21st March, Saturday or Sunday at Old bathurst road and chicken run. Im not certain on these days for myself, but should be right. Whos in?
I might be completely wrong, but if the meeting is on the 15th, and we don't get OBR, would that mean these two coming weekends will be the last opportunities for a group ride of OBR? : (

Kingy

Likes Bikes
See you on Sun Morning 9am at OBR we need your energy to save old bat tracks

See you on Sun Morning 9am at OBR we need your energy to save old bat tracks
Kingy

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
hay i was just wondering if anyone wanted to go dh riding tommorow at obr (its the 7th of march tomorrow) just other planes of mine got canceld give me a pm or post on thread. thanks lets see if we can get a riding crew for tommorow guys.;)

cheers louie.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hi Mate,
As in the posts above, there is a meeting with some residents at 9am tomorrow morning. After the meeting is finished, I'm probably going to have a ride, depending on the weather. I guess the meeting will be finished by 9:30 or 10am - maybe Nerf could shed some light on the prospective time-frame of the meeting?

Barrington

Likes Dirt
Ive heard that obr is now also closed. Is this true? If so, this just leaves us with the chicken run. And because this is the only dh track available to us, this means that because everyone will be riding that alot, that the resisdents there will start to complain. So im wondering, are there any other places nearby that we can ride from now on? That way chicken run doesnt become too busy and then eventually get closed aswell. There is lithgow but that is abit over a 2 hr train trip. Is it possible to maybe make a new entry and/or exit for the obr and candybar tracks? If not, is it possible that we can organise with the council to build a new dh track somewhere in the lower bluemountains that is not too close to residents, and that is in a place that environment damage isnt an issue (near/alongside a road or something). That way the track can already be approved by the council, and should beable to stay there for a long time aslong as riders respect the track and its surroundings. I hope im actually saying valid ideas. What do you guys think?

Vinno

Likes Bikes
Quote from article on ABC News.

The Blue Mountains City Council has voted to close all mountain bike tracks along the escarpment closest to Sydney and adjoining ridges.

There were concerns from the council that the tracks were not environmentally sustainable and had been built without authorisation.

But while the council voted to enforce the closures, it also moved to find alternative tracks for mountain bikers.

Spokesman for the riders Alan David says they want mountain biking recognised as a legitimate sport.

"Council itself has recognised that it wants to support that sport," he said.

"Whether we can find a site that's going to be suitable for downhill riding, at this stage it's too early to know."

Here is the link to the article http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/17/2848055.htm

It is all down hill tracks on the escarpment. Not good.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I wonder if this means that the old track at Knapsack is also closed? Given that it is technically on the escarpment, I guess so? But the other side is that it is already a recognised, legal track (although dis-used).

In any case, until the council manages to move ahead on opening up Mitchell's Pass Rd again (still closed from the rockfall a long time ago...) Knapsack is pretty hard to run shuttles on anyway...

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as tracks closed they are the ones discussed in the report to council linked here... all the known tracks on the escarpment. There is confusion however about what is really covered.

http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/download.cfm?f=410ADF21-BDED-6473-1A047B3C05A672DD

EDIT : From the BMCC report

Close all downhill mountain bike tracks on the Eastern escarpment and rehabilitate tracks, liaise with
Police to enforce track closures, work with local riders and conduct community consultation to find new
locations for downhill bike riding in suitable locations.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
P.S - I think its a bit silly deleting ALL the OBR advocacy threads, how are we to get news out to concerned riders on Rotorburn?
organising a more private forum ... if not on here ... then else where ... more info as it comes to hand

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's your life, but nobody will condone doing anything illegal on here.
OBR has always been illegal, it's up to you to do whatever you think is right.
I won't be sticking my head in an oven if someone with no knowledge, or no right(due to irony)tells me to because they have some form of power.
People living on cleared of bush blocks of land, have complained to coucil, by sheer numbers, and the councils token need to play the politically correct hand they have made made the WRONG choice.
If it comes down to riding OBR or building new stuff, I'd think doing an hours maintanence on OBR to prevent errossion, then riding it, would be the most logical, and moral thing to do. But the locls may see it otherwise, and while good people are trying to echieve good stuff, it might pay to help them out.
The bush is a sensitive thing, it should be respected, I don't feel we have the right or need to take any more from nature than we have. There's Currawongs, Rossellas, and all sorts of Marsupials, doing there own forms of runs at OBR every day and night, I wouldn't want to take that from them.
What we already have, should be respected, and maintained, as I've always stated. If council finds us some already desecrated land, or something that isn't fragile, then great, but welcome to the world of polotics(unrealistic goals) and lies kids.

Last edited: