BMC Working Week Series 2008

F

fishboy2807

I only did a couple of these races last year but really enjoyed them. Looking forward to doing them all this year if I can. Anyone care to hazard a guess on where the two TBA locations are likely to be? I note Killingworth is not listed for '08 :(
Or Sparrow - WTF? :confused:

Put Sparrow up for one of the TBA's please, I love racing the 8hr there.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Please Retain the Sparrow Hill Round!

Or Sparrow - WTF? :confused:

Put Sparrow up for one of the TBA's please, I love racing the 8hr there.
Me too, I agree, Sparrow rocks! It would be a shame if they move the Canberra one to Stromlo instead, Sparrow kicks Stromlo's butt :(

Mick01

Likes Bikes
Me too, I agree, Sparrow rocks! It would be a shame if they move the Canberra one to Stromlo instead, Sparrow kicks Stromlo's butt :(
According to Le Matelot's post above, the 24th August one is at Stromlo. So maybe one at Stromlo and one at Sparrow?
I've never ridden Sparrow but I reckon an 8hr race on the red lap at Stromlo would be awesome.

Mick

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Being a part of a very big festival....

• Aug 24 - BMC Working Week 8 Hr - Stromlo
  • Aug 30/31 - UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Round 7 (XC) and 6 (DH/4X)
Keep an eye out for other events on the weekends before and after the World Cup round, as we will be adding other competitive, instructional and social mountain biking activities in there to meet the UCI's aim of a "mountain bike festival". The Working Week round and the ACT (Australian) Schools Champs are already part of this festival.
I've snipped & highlighted Le Matelot's post above to highlight why Stromlo is likely to be the chosen track for race #6 in 2008.

CORC have hosted our final round each year, and each year it's a great event. Next year CORC have been asked by the UCI to put on a 2 week (3 weekend) long MTB Festival surrounding the World Cup round - and we jumped at the chance for the BMC Working Week Series to be a part of it.

So - next year is probably not going to have round #6 at Sparrow, but on the flipside, it's going to be a part of the biggest thing to happen to Aussie MTB in a decade, remember the 2008 World Cup round precedes the 2009 World Champs.

Also - remember how good the track was for the Scott? I lived & breathed the Scott for 3 days and the feedback on the course was very positive from beginning to end, and from young guns to oldies and everyone in the middle...

It's gonna be huuuge.... :)

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Just added another one...

Round 1: February 10th: – Lithgow – Central Tablelands MTB Club
Round 2: March 2nd: – Darkes Forest – Southern Off-Road Cycling Club
Round 3: May 25th: – Location TBA
Round 4: June 22nd: – Awaba - Hunter MTB Association
Round 5: July 27th: – Yarramundi – Western Sydney MTB Club
Round 6: August 24th: – Canberra – Canberra Off-Road Cycling Club

^^ That's how it stands now, we're happy to say that HMBA are on board for a 5th year.

Keen observers will note HMBA are planning to take this one to the planned track at Awaba - due to the possible, errr, probably expiration of Killy as a venue in the short to medium term, and hey - the access road at Awaba is great, and the new Jacobs-designed track will be fantastic.

5 down with one left to announce, and loads of details will be on the web over the coming week, with entries to open shortly after.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Red Lap Rocks

Also - remember how good the track was for the Scott? I lived & breathed the Scott for 3 days and the feedback on the course was very positive from beginning to end, and from young guns to oldies and everyone in the middle...
That would be true for the red lap (not so sure about parts of the rocky blue lap), I had a totally rocking time on the red lap at the Scott, so if the 8hr is on that part of the course, I'll be there for sure! It's no Sparrow Hill, but it is the cream of the Stromlo crop.

No doubt we can find out which bits of Stromlo it will be on later next year, closer to the event, looking forward to it!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm definitely looking forward to the races this year. For anyone that hasn't ridden the WWS before, I suggest that you give it a go. You will love it. The race is awesome, it's as competitive as you make it, and a good time is always had by all.
Let's just hope Darkes Forest is a bit drier this time :p

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Full Series Dates and Locations

Ok people - here it is. The dates are as they have been advertised for some time now, but there is a change to one of the locations, and we can announce the final TBA as well.

Round 2: March 2nd: – Currambene – South Coast United MTB (SCUM) Club
Round 3: May 25th: – Appin - Wollongong Mountain Bike Club

We'd like to welcome both SCUM & WMBC to the series, and we look forward to heading to their respective tracks for round 2 and 3 next year.

SORCC, previously the 'tough-track' round of the series, have had to dip out for 2008 due to some land-access issues (which will hopefully be soon resolved).

More information in the coming days, including schedules and so much more, and something rather cool in regards to round #1...

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
SORCC, previously the 'tough-track' round of the series, have had to dip out for 2008 due to some land-access issues (which will hopefully be soon resolved).
Suitably replaced by Appin as the new tought track :eek:

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Suitably replaced by Appin as the new tought track :eek:
Yup, if it were today it would be replaced by Appin as the VERY tough track.

That said the good folks at WMBC have many goals for their XC track over the 6 months (and 2 days :)) between now and the event, and many of those plans are in the direction of making it more approachable.

We're actually pretty excited - in 2008 the series will visit 2 clubs it hasn't before, and 4 tracks that we've never been to before either!

BOE

Bright Orange Events
You're organising Snow instead of Hail?

:)
Priceless. That said, this year's torrential rain on the day before will never be trumped by the '6 hour' in 2005. I'll never forget that one of the kids there had his 'boogie board' and there are indeed (somewhere) photos of him carving up the finish straight on said board after the race was cancelled :)

BrightOrangeEvents: we do what we can to solve the drought problem wherever we go.

nrs1mounty

Likes Dirt
Ok people - here it is. The dates are as they have been advertised for some time now, but there is a change to one of the locations, and we can announce the final TBA as well.

Round 3: May 25th: – Appin - Wollongong Mountain Bike Club

We'd like to welcome both SCUM & WMBC to the series, and we look forward to heading to their respective tracks for round 2 and 3 next year.

More information in the coming days, including schedules and so much more, and something rather cool in regards to round #1...
whereabouts is Currambene

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
You're organising Snow instead of Hail?

:)

Cheers
Gonz
Na he's just finally ready to admit he thinks I'm rather cool...
In a hip cat sort of way.

Round 1 will be cooooool for cats. It's cool for cats

Last edited: