Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

waan5

Squid
Go easy.... people are just confused!

I know right?? Some people must lack a grasp on the basics of the English language, either that or a complete lack of common sense. How can you possibly not understand KINGLAKE IS CLOSED? (That's unopen). The way I read it, and correct me if I'm wrong, KINGLAKE IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. I'm pretty sure this further notice will be hard to miss when it's delivered, so for all you folks who can't read just keep an eye to the sky for fireworks and meteor showers.
Let's see if we can keep this thread to useful updates and information instead of creating pages and pages of useless "is it open yet? the sun was out this arvo" type questions. It ain't rocket surgery.
Hey guys,

Excuse me for adding more of these so called 'type questions' but I have been a victim of all this confusion too. Now I was lucky enough to get to ride the trail on the Sunday afternoon on the weekend it was open.:dance: I agree after seeing the condition of the trail and getting further rain that it probably needed to be closed.

I noted the closure was then posted on the parks website which is the same reference I use to see if any parks are closed (ie:you yangs). This notice disappeared last week hence people wondering about the status.

Dunndog: Why has 'Rotorburn' assumed control over notifications re:Shepherds? instead of it being the same as every other park? It makes sense to keep it standardised to save wasted trips to the parks and this headache for yourself!

@Wisey: Props to you pal for getting this baby to the stage it's at. I can only imagine the hoops you had to jump through so the decision to close the trail is understandable... and if it shows closed in 'the usual places', no one needs ask these 'stupid questions'.

And yes.... this is my first post....I had to join to find out if Shepherds was open....... may as well add to the discussion!:eek:hwell:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hey Waan, welcome to Rotorburn.

I'm not connected in any way to this trail or it's runnings, I was just commenting on the content of this thread. The reason this is the place to check is because of the presence of Wisey and You Yang Ranger, both involved heavily with the construction and management of the track and connected to everyone else involved in the decision making processes regarding this track. Other sites, for example parks vic, have plenty of other items to address I guess, whereas this thread is solely on this track. So you're likely to get the most accurate and up to date info here. I suppose.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shepherds is closed. Most likely will remain closed until the end of winter. To soft, too much damage already. This is fact, regardless of PV site. More info will follow.

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Continued closure and the official opening explained

Thanks Wisey and Ian M for the ongoing updates that the track is closed.

To add some clarity and answer the question as to why was the track opened to start with, the track build was funded predominately through $'s that were aimed to stimulate regional development and community infrastructure, a condition of this funding was the completion, expenditure, media and opening/launch of the track by a certain date, in the case of Bowden Spur the deadline was first week of June. As others have previously posted the weather has not been on our side. The opening was low key and had a very targeted audience, as we new the track would be soft and still needed bedding in. The opening date was set March and the rain in the week preceeding and following the opening date has been unfortunate.

As to what constitutes a closure, triggers such as >50mm over 24hrs = 2 day closure (if followed by no more rain) etc are being investigated by You Yangs staff and will be applied soon at the You Yangs and most likely at Kinglake when the track has hardened. At this point in time, we are investigating what figures best suit the you yangs and what data we can get from the BOM to close the tracks on a predicted forecast. We are in a lucky situation at the You Yangs given the extensive work done by Trav and the team, in that the majority of the trails drain extremely well and the required closure times wshould be minimal, Hopefully Kinglake will be the same.

I can't add anything about the PV website indicating the closure at Kinglake, as i do not have control of this, but will follow it up.

Mark

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Shepherds closed for winter

Shepherds downhill mountain bike trail in Kinglake National Park will be closed for the remainder of winter to prevent long term damage to the trail.

Parks Victoria are disappointed to have to close the trail so soon after announcing its opening, but this is the best thing to do, both for the safety of riders and to protect the condition of the trail.

The trail was opened on 2 June and since then many enthusiastic and experienced downhill riders and have enjoyed riding it.

As the trail is only recently completed it requires time to ‘cure’ to ensure that it does not become rutted and extensively damaged by bike traffic.

If we continue to allow riders on the trail over winter the damage to trail will become so significant that it will require large scale repairs over an extended closure period, as well as presenting a danger to riders.

Parks Victoria and the company that constructed the trail, World Trail, have inspected the trail before making this decision.

We appreciate that the MTB community have been keen to ride the newest downhill trail in Victoria but ask that everyone respects this closure as a short term wait will result in safe and enjoyable riding for the longer term.

The track is expected to open after the end of Winter once the ground has dried out further. To stay up to date with the expected opening date as the time gets closer please go to the Kinglake National Park page at www.parks.vic.gov.au or call 13 1963.

morticus

Likes Dirt
Much like the victorian high country that opens on the october long weekend every year? Hope for your sake that people actually listen to the people in the know and dont rip the trail to shreds... I hope to get to Vic later in the year and ride this track myself.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is the Parks Vic promo video for Shepherds going through the whole process. Trail is open and ready to be ridden, I rode it yesterday and it has really cured nicely, so much quicker than the June opening and a heap of fun.

Remember, it's a public road, obey all road rules when shuttling and don't drive up and down to fast, we do not want to see unnecessary accidents or unwanted attention drawn to the park.

Enjoy, I hope you like going fast...

[video=youtube;4QVYHs-jS_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVYHs-jS_Q[/video]

Edit - And if anyone isn't sure about the obstacles and how they're done, watch Rhys hit every A-line on the track when it was soft and slow and completely blind, on his own with nothing to gauge speed. Very impressive.

Last edited:

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great stuff Wisey. I think the most positive thing about this video is that it's something that could be shared with Parks Vic in other areas to demonstrate that - when done properly - trails can be built in a sustainable way that takes into account all parks users. For a parks Vic representative who may not be able to get across to the Youies or even to King Lake to see how this work can be undertaken, this video provides a good insight.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That last gap in the video is huge!
Thats not that bad, I jumped it yesterday a couple of times. The one that is wild is at 4.51 in the vid, doesn't look much but that's a ballsy gap at mega speed straight into a berm. I know he shat himself a wee bit when he had to do that, that has me a little scared as well...

He also jumps the big one at the end of the first section next to the road which I am yet to jump.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Thats not that bad, I jumped it yesterday a couple of times. The one that is wild is at 4.51 in the vid, doesn't look much but that's a ballsy gap at mega speed straight into a berm. I know he shat himself a wee bit when he had to do that, that has me a little scared as well...

He also jumps the big one at the end of the first section next to the road which I am yet to jump.
Yeah I just had a ride out there today. I must admit, I did gasp out loud when I watched this video and saw that Rhys gaped into the berm at 4.51. That is so fast that spot, so much respect!

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Might be an odd question, but whats the exact location of this (now) legal trail. Im meeting a few mates there tomorrow afternoon, but cannot find where it is... Help!!!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Might be an odd question, but whats the exact location of this (now) legal trail. Im meeting a few mates there tomorrow afternoon, but cannot find where it is... Help!!!
Heading from King Lake West to King Lake.......

Look for the power lines going over the road, turn right down that dirt road.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, yeah I ended up finding the transmission wires...

For anyone else wondering, Bowden Spur Rd, Kinglake (its even in the Melways now..)

Other Trails?

I was up at the track last week and noticed 2 other trails which were marked as "closed" on the main sign, including KL230 which was marked as single diamond. Am I right that these don't exist yet and the sign was created to cover future tracks which are planned?

Personally I think the addition of a nice flowy single diamond would add a lot to the place. I find Shepherds is a very two paced track, either really fast and clearing some big gaps, or really slow in order to roll over without totally casing the landings or ride around the obstacles. For riders that are in the middle (I'd say the vast majority) this doesn't make for the most satisfying experience. I'm not trying to bag the track or builders, you can't please everybody in one track. Just saying it would be way more the awesomerist for your "average" rider with the addition of a fun single diamond option, think Cressy but longer and less pedaling.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I was up at the track last week and noticed 2 other trails which were marked as "closed" on the main sign, including KL230 which was marked as single diamond. Am I right that these don't exist yet and the sign was created to cover future tracks which are planned?
I think they are future tracks. It's my understanding that You Yangs MTB Club are going to build it, and maintain Sheppards. Though I haven't seen them up there nor heard of any progress on the other 2 tracks. But things could be moving behind the scenes that we don't know about. Certainly doesn't look like the tracks or even 1 of the tracks will be in place before summer. Bit disappointing as it's been over a year since Sheppards was complete and the other tracks announced. Could be wrong though, I don't know the ins and outs of the management of the area.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what's going on with this track? I came down it last Sunday (I was doing some mtbing on dirt roads around KL), and no one around on track ... you'd think it would be busy on a sunday arvo. was up there the week before as well, no one, deserted.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
what's going on with this track? I came down it last Sunday (I was doing some mtbing on dirt roads around KL), and no one around on track ... you'd think it would be busy on a sunday arvo. was up there the week before as well, no one, deserted.
I was there on Saturday and it was deserted. I'm only taking a guess here but it could be because the track is flogged. I live 15 minutes from it and won't be going out of my way in a hurry to ride it again.

Those off camber sections are wild times but that was about it.