Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Well that’s new:

Item sent from UK. Their tracking shows handed to Aus Post. Did they pile everything into a big container and it’s being sorted here. Hmm.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My tyres arrived from BikeInn yesterday, a solid six weeks.
But since TBE has disappeared there aren't many good options for cheap tyres, especially if you don't love Maxxis. I got three competition line Michelins for $78/each including delivery which wasn't too bad.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Ordered a hardtail frame from Wiggle on the 22/9 arriving today the 28/9. Less than a week :oops:. DHL are the courier MVP right now. Get in.
I ordered a frame (same NS eccentric?) and stem from wiggle on the 18th. The stem came 27th (yesterday, why would they separately pack?) and frame didn't arrive. I was excited to see the wiggle box and the courier ran back to the van to get the frame I thought, but he just drove off instead! The tracking has always showed them together so I expected them at the same time, atleast the tracking shows that they are only partially delivered.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ordered a frame (same NS eccentric?) and stem from wiggle on the 18th. The stem came 27th (yesterday, why would they separately pack?) and frame didn't arrive. I was excited to see the wiggle box and the courier ran back to the van to get the frame I thought, but he just drove off instead! The tracking has always showed them together so I expected them at the same time, atleast the tracking shows that they are only partially delivered.
uhoh

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm hoping that it something about the size of box, it might have gone into a different lot for delivery. The tracking has 2 linked tracking numbers and it says delivered in part so at least it acknowledges that I'm still waiting.
Same happened to me with a wheel set from CRC last year... Two boxes, one consignment.. Tracking said on board for delivery, box turned up, signed for it etc - took it inside like a kid at Christmas and opened the box to find only one wheel. Just about shit myself before I checked the tracking and saw "partial delivery". :oops:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Same happened to me with a wheel set from CRC last year... Two boxes, one consignment.. Tracking said on board for delivery, box turned up, signed for it etc - took it inside like a kid at Christmas and opened the box to find only one wheel. Just about shit myself before I checked the tracking and saw "partial delivery". :oops:
I've had the exact same experience in the past. That moment of terror is not fun.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm hoping that it something about the size of box, it might have gone into a different lot for delivery. The tracking has 2 linked tracking numbers and it says delivered in part so at least it acknowledges that I'm still waiting.

Edit: came a few minutes ago, I'm happy
Good good. Its bloody nice $300 frame eh?

LPG

likes thicc birds
Good good. Its bloody nice $300 frame eh?
Yep, awesome for 300! I can't wait to get it built up, pretty sure it will be a while before the rim and spokes get here from bike 24 though. They've been at frankfurt since mid last week, seems to be pretty common for packages to stay there for weeks right now :(.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, awesome for 300! I can't wait to get it built up, pretty sure it will be a while before the rim and spokes get here from bike 24 though. They've been at frankfurt since mid last week, seems to be pretty common for packages to stay there for weeks right now :(.
Sure is, just ask @johnny

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The guys at HiBike tell me that some DHL orders are actually going by surface. No idea if that's true, but my package DEPARTED Frankfurt on 11 Aug and only arrived in Australia on 24 Sept. (funny if it did go surface, given Frankfurt is very much inland...)

HiBike are shit at packaging orders, beware buying anything large (like rims) from them - the only other things in the box below were pedals, grips and gloves - got slugged with $40 bulky package surcharge because of this idiocy. May have also had something to do with why the package took so fucking long to get here.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Common in my opinion for small items to be placed in ridiculously large packages .
"Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity."
3 ebay packages still missing for me.
Checking tracking, a bot claims everything is incorrectly sorted .

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Common in my opinion for small items to be placed in ridiculously large packages .
"Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity."
I'd say lack of care rather than stupidity, but more likely just different priorities.

(Longer than expected rant about shipping methods below ... TLDR boxes and shipping cheap, employees expensive)

Having worked in a warehouse packing orders years ago, number 1 priority was get the stuff shipped. Didn't matter if we had 3 orders or 30 orders. Everything had to be packed and ready by 2pm when our AusPost truck would show up for pickup. The perfect box doesn't exist, so you make do. Always bigger, because smaller just doesn't work (duh). Trying to pick and pack into the box as you go is often fastest, because otherwise you're double or triple handling things. So you grab whatever box you have that you 'know' will fit everything, and you get the order out the door. If you have to unpack and repack because you picked a bad box you're wasting time. If you hunt around for 10 minutes to find a different box you're wasting time.

I'll bet they measure employee performance on boxes packed, not box efficiency. Employee time may be more costly than the additional shipping costs or larger boxes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@dirtdad I suspect that you're right, and I'd even partially accept the situation if the rims had been packed in a way that they'd be half protected. But the size of the box and they way they were packed was the main reason they weren't protected and ended up poking out the side in transit. Unsure if it added to tbe bulky package surcharge.

In less than a minute, you could run your knife around the side of that box to make it 75% smaller - maybe even double-wall the box, another 30 seconds and tape it up. for shipping. No more than 4 mins, max.

As it is, I've complained, they've asked for photos and we'll see how it goes from here.