Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's why I stopped buying from German Bike shops, even though Bike24 is now owned by Wiggles they're still a pack of fuck wits. No matter what I said or done they wouldn't process the insurance claim from their end, even had the Austpost delivery guys details to prove he handed me an empty box.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Common in my opinion for small items to be placed in ridiculously large packages .
"Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity."
3 ebay packages still missing for me.
Checking tracking, a bot claims everything is incorrectly sorted .
2 packages arrived today bought 20th August so about 5-6 weeks from Allambie Hts NSW to NE Vic.
Go Aust Post

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
2 packages arrived today bought 20th August so about 5-6 weeks from Allambie Hts NSW to NE Vic.
Go Aust Post
That sucks. I grabbed some Gloworms on closeout from MTBDirect last week and they’ve been showing up as ‘ready for processing’ in Melbourne ever since. Strangely I sent something the other way last week and it was there in days.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@dirtdad I suspect that you're right, and I'd even partially accept the situation if the rims had been packed in a way that they'd be half protected. But the size of the box and they way they were packed was the main reason they weren't protected and ended up poking out the side in transit. Unsure if it added to tbe bulky package surcharge.

In less than a minute, you could run your knife around the side of that box to make it 75% smaller - maybe even double-wall the box, another 30 seconds and tape it up. for shipping. No more than 4 mins, max.

As it is, I've complained, they've asked for photos and we'll see how it goes from here.
Sent them the pics they requested and all I got was "Yeah, that's bad, we shouldn't do that". No offer to return the bulky goods surcharge or even the equivalent in store credit.

Think that's the last time I'll shop with HiBike.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
r2bike nailed mine. Arrived today about a week earlier than I thought Auspost could manage, after 5 weeks in Frankfurt. It was a 30cm³ box, the bits only half-filled it and the rest was stuffed with paper.

PJO

in me vL comy
Bike saddle order from BikeInn, ordered 13/09 arrived 05/10.
Still showing not delivered on the tracking...

PJO

in me vL comy
Just put in an order for Starbike, I'm assuming it will be the same as all other DHL orders out of Germany, but reading the fine print I could've opted for DPD instead of DHL as my carrier for an extra 30% shipping cost. Anyone know anything about DPD?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A rare win was had this week.

I ordered a part out of Wolftooth USA early last week. Came via DHL. They tried to deliver Friday, with the slight problem that my work was closed for a deep-clean and to allow everyone (~170 people) to go and get tested after a COVID scare last week (everyone was clear, so the majority of the staff were classed Tier-2 and back Monday).

Anyway - after the failed delivery attempt DHL marked the package as "On Hold". I assumed on the next business day they'd re-attempt delivery, but after a couple of days I though I'd better chase it up. Rang the help line, listened to the pre-recorded "Beware of scams!!!!" message, and then got straight through - and I mean I-didn't-even-hear-it-ring straight through - gave the bloke the tracking number and my name, he looked it up, said he'd e-mail the depot it was last at and ask them to send it out. Got a SMS ping that arvo saying it was underway, and received it the next morning. I mean it would've been cool if it's turned up by itself, but I've got to say the customer service otherwise was excellent.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Anyone know anything about DPD?
DPD are the fucking bomb in the UK. Very fast, live tracking of the delivery truck when it’s out for delivery so you can go do your thing and know you’re not going to miss it etc. Crazy expensive as an international shipper though from what I’ve seen in the couple of places it’s been offered. Would be interested if they actually did offer it to AUS for only +30% on base DHL.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
DPD are the fucking bomb in the UK. Very fast, live tracking of the delivery truck when it’s out for delivery so you can go do your thing and know you’re not going to miss it etc. Crazy expensive as an international shipper though from what I’ve seen in the couple of places it’s been offered. Would be interested if they actually did offer it to AUS for only +30% on base DHL.
I didn't go too deeply into the detail of whether it was offered to Aus. Was just looking around on the Starbike website and noticed it was mentioned.