Cairns World Cup!!

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Holy balls this is boring. No-one gives a shit if you can or can't watch it, and RedBull is here to stay.

Can we get back to the talk about Cairns? I imagine that as the Aussies come down the noise will be deafening! What do you reckon the highest speed will be?

Sadly it looks like I might have to sit home with a beer for this one.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
~13MBps down is plenty for streaming 720p
However, < 1mbps for your up speed might be causing the problem.
Make sure nothing is being uploaded, no torrents are loaded or uploading or other sites that might be uploading data and chewing up your upload bandwidth.
That can cause problems with streaming videos.
None of that is ever happening way man.

Upload speeds has always been like that.

driftking

Wheel size expert
~13MBps down is plenty for streaming 720p
However, < 1mbps for your up speed might be causing the problem.
Make sure nothing is being uploaded, no torrents are loaded or uploading or other sites that might be uploading data and chewing up your upload bandwidth.
That can cause problems with streaming videos.
Couldn't imagine upload would be the issue.
I get about 0.86MBps. however the night of the race I was probably getting about half that with my connection problems. I was playing it on 720P no problems.

indica

Serial flasher
And it begins!!
So I hear Davinci, Hutchinson United and Santa Cruz land in Cairns today. If you are doing runs this weekend keep an eye out there might be some very fast riders sharing the track. Say hi and wish em luck.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
And it begins!!
So I hear Davinci, Hutchinson United and Santa Cruz land in Cairns today. If you are doing runs this weekend keep an eye out there might be some very fast riders sharing the track. Say hi and wish em luck.
Would love to smash runs with this guy...davinci.jpg

houli77

Likes Dirt
Few Q's for cairns locals..

Just been looking at long range forecasts and looks like showers all week. On the back of Ita is it gonna be a slop Fest for World Cup and other trails round cairns?

Still tossing up bringing trail bike vs Dh bike. How does kuranda Dh hold up with a bit of water? Will atherton be drier/open?

Struggling to make a decision!

indica

Serial flasher
Which LR forecasts are you looking at?
I see 20 ish mm rain forecast daily, that is nothing.
Kuranda holds up fine, the Hannahs were smashing runs yesterday, that is a week after 200mm (ish) of rain.
Atherton was opened on Friday and will remain that way - we have a round of the Marathon series here on Anzac day and it will be closed to the public for riding then but open apart from that.
I would bring a trail bike if but shit what a choice.

DH - Kuranda, Smithies if here for long enough + countless others depending on inside info.
Trial - Atherton, Smithies, Davies Ck.

How big is the trail bike?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Few Q's for cairns locals..
Just been looking at long range forecasts and looks like showers all week. On the back of Ita is it gonna be a slop Fest for World Cup and other trails round cairns?
Still tossing up bringing trail bike vs Dh bike. How does kuranda Dh hold up with a bit of water? Will atherton be drier/open?
Ha - our weather forecasts at this time of year say showers every single day [seriously], depends what cloud you are under as to whether or not you get wet.
You carry on as planned if it rains you get wet [not cold mind you] if it doesn't rain you stay dry - its that simple

I see 20 ish mm rain forecast daily, that is nothing.
Kuranda holds up fine, the Hannahs were smashing runs yesterday, that is a week after 200mm (ish) of rain.
Atherton was opened on Friday and will remain that way - we have a round of the Marathon series here on Anzac day and it will be closed to the public for riding then but open apart from that.
I would bring a trail bike if but shit what a choice.
DH - Kuranda, Smithies if here for long enough + countless others depending on inside info.
Trial - Atherton, Smithies, Davies Ck.
Totally agree with Indica, all the trails handle rain up here in less than biblical quantities [a Ita was NOT biblical by any standard] very well.
I have ridden full laps of Atherton the last 3 days, a few puddles around but all good.
For versatility a 6 inch trail bike is the go unless you are a complete DH freak and have access to a shuttle.

houli77

Likes Dirt

Not sure where I was looking, whatever came up online. Just looking at little pictures of rainy clouds all week...

Got an enduro for ride bike, so I know that'll cut it at most places but I'm coming up with a few peeps who would be on shorter bikes or Dh bikes..

But anyway, given the choice I'll always choose to ride proper Dh on a Dh bike than manage on a trail bike, particularly on trails I don't know..

I'm coming up with a few crew and we got a van for shuttles so if kuranda is prime ill prob go the Dh rig. I'm only in town fri morn till mon arv, save driving to atherton for another trip.

Fucking pumped!!!!!

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure where I was looking, whatever came up online. Just looking at little pictures of rainy clouds all week...
You'll be right mate either way.
The long range forecasts I'm looking at are pretty tame, not that anything is to be trusted this far out, but that's another story. 20mm is water off a ducks back that far North. It takes several hundred mm's concentrated into an hour or two over a relatively long period of time to affect stuff really. Especially a World Trail track, built in an area expecting such rainfall, in a period when they can expect such rainfall :)

Hope your trip is killa!

houli77

Likes Dirt
Hope your trip is killa!
Cheers bro, it's shaping up..

Mates, bikes, beers, oh and World Cup Dh???? Couldn't ask for more..

Thanks for the local knowledge farkers.. Anyone willing to shed some secret local trail knowledge pm me :) shout beers after runs..

Riding with some dudes who know the area but I'm sure they don't know them all...

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its getting close !!!

InstagramCapture_1910732b-50ac-4773-bf7c-ae9276869cb0.jpg

DH Start and finish line.

The site is nearing completion and is amazing to think these are trails in my backyard(almost)

madflap

Likes Dirt
To rest easy any concerns.
This will not be a slopfest.
The rain, if any comes at all and most forecasts at this moment show 0-5 mm per 6 hours, that is not rain. That is perhaps light showers and most of the rain is focused around tully innisfail where it rains all year round.
The DH access road has been waterproofed.
The bunting is in.
the tracks are being cleared tomorrow.
This thing is happening no matter what.
If you are not in Cairns then sux to be you.

BRING ON CAIRNS WORLD CUP 2014.

4dabush

Likes Dirt

Got an enduro for ride bike, so I know that'll cut it at most places but I'm coming up with a few peeps who would be on shorter bikes or Dh bikes..

But anyway, given the choice I'll always choose to ride proper Dh on a Dh bike than manage on a trail bike, particularly on trails I don't know..

I'm coming up with a few crew and we got a van for shuttles so if kuranda is prime ill prob go the Dh rig. I'm only in town fri morn till mon arv, save driving to atherton for another trip.

Fucking pumped!!!!!
Six inch bike will do everything you need...proof, me at Kuranda yesterday...on a 2008 Norco Six now 27.5'd...on skinny 2.3 XC tyres. This is tame compared to the WC track...

Attachments