Cairns World Cup!!

moorey

call me Mia
Was this commissioner on LSD?

I'd pm Bowlo before Moorey :party:
Quite possibly. :noidea:
a bit of a clarifier.
This is a guy I've met a few times. He largely (correctly) thinks I'm a cockhead, and he's often a bit of a douche (I give him a bit of shit both to his face and on here)
However, he is very active in mtba, was apparently commissairing at the event and was involved in briefings about the incident. If he says it's so something we should be cautious about, I'll take him at face value on it :thumb:

indica

Serial flasher
I had a blast, the crowd was great, the vibe was great.

[video=youtube;nHqdHa6DBPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqdHa6DBPI[/video]

The noise when Sam Hill rolled into the finish was sensational, the same for Mick and Chris.
Top race, top track.

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
I just watched the Redbull Replay, those camera positions were terrible. The only good one was in the rock garden which was quite high in the the track, it should have been no problem getting cameras further down where the action was. There were several sections on the track that were packed with spectators and absolutely thrilling riding, I feel bad for viewers worldwide that missed out seeing all the action. I hope they get they're shit together for the next one!

slowmick

38-39"
thanks Natskis - will give that a go. our internet speeds at home are best used for text based entertainment though :thumb:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just watched the Redbull Replay, those camera positions were terrible.
I agree. I would have thought the exit of the rock garden would have been a prime camera angle. Maybe the cameras were in position for a dry track. There were plenty of times a rider would go down and the commentary team appeared to be missing the action as it was not caught on camera.

It got a bit boring watching all the pedalling at the end of the track. I hope the cameras are in a better position for the XC race.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I still don't know why they didn't cover the whoops section though.

Is after the main rock garden that they filmed? If so why would they not slap a camera there?

I agree, I too got pretty bored of the pedal slog out, maybe they should consider putting in some jumps or something?

poita

Likes Dirt
what is the rumor?

I really hope someone follows up on how he is.
If you want to head over to pink bike you should read some of the comments on there, bloody filthy, people saying he deserved it and making jokes. its pretty pathetic some of the comments.
If anyone has any more info, it would be much appreciated. The video did not look good at all and I'm hoping he doesn't have any lasting issues.

Will be very interesting/ed to hear the mtba report on the event and their plans for the world champs...

indica

Serial flasher
A lot of people are bagging the track on here.
Perhaps try and be useful instead? Put forward a proposal, organise funding and host one yourselves? This track is better, that track is better? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

The event was tops, the crowd massive, all the riders seemed happy yesterday.
Loads of the top guys crashed.
Lots seemed pumped to ride in a rain forest.
Sure it is not perfect but what ever is?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Being a bit of a peddler myself I like having the riders bust out that last bit of strength to get over the line.

I think it's good to have tracks that mix it up as well - fast bermed up switch backs, intense rock sections, whoops sections, super fast freeway bits, single tracks, multi-line sections and pedal outs at the bottom. Really tests the riders in multiple areas and I like that they have to be athletes rather than just natural risk takers and smooth descenders. Picking lines, adjusting their airs to the speed of each run, holding some gas in reserve, strategically planning their run, etc. Mixing things up makes for a really interesting race and in that respect I liked this track. Kind of reminded me a bit of the old State Mine track in Lithgow, loved that place.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
A lot of people are bagging the track on here.
Perhaps try and be useful instead? Put forward a proposal, organise funding and host one yourselves? This track is better, that track is better? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

The event was tops, the crowd massive, all the riders seemed happy yesterday.
Loads of the top guys crashed.
Lots seemed pumped to ride in a rain forest.
Sure it is not perfect but what ever is?
Agree.

Apart from the pedal slog I think the Cairns track had it all, a nice flowly top section with all the berms, technical rock garden where even some of the best were making mistakes or getting caught out, high speed sections, motocross whoops.

Only part of the track that isn't inspiring is the pedal slog.

But like you said, if other people are criticising it, either get a group together and build another track or stfu.

The main thing that annoys when it comes to trail building in Australia is it is always a small group building and maintaining the track, than they get slogged out by nobs who didn't even help saying ohh this track is bad that section is terrible I don't like this or that, but never want to come and put in the shovel hours or build tracks themselves.

faulko

Likes Dirt
That track was brilliant.

Not that anyone could see.

Terrible camera action. You see the start 2 areas then the clock is up and its the 4-4.30sec mark.

I count 4 cameras showing start, vines (i think), rock garden and the end.

What about the rest :mad2:

Terrible production personally.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, there wasn't much else positive about the race coverage other than the fact that it existed.