Can America be fixed?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
While I try to find that data again (pretty sure it's in that thread that Zaf argued for a relaxation of gun laws and spat the dummy), I'll post relevant material that I find:

2020 illicit firearms report, ACIC: https://www.acic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-08/illicit_firearms_in_australia.pdf
  • Based on available data, the ACIC conservatively estimates there are 260,000 firearms (250,000 longarms and 10,000 handguns) in the domestic illicit market.
  • While it should be possible to associate all illicit firearms with diversion methods, a substantial number of firearms are untraceable and cannot be determined with any confidence to have entered the market by either means.
  • According to Australian border detection figures and the FTP, illegal importation accounts for a comparatively small percentage of illicit firearms in the Australia market. Of all firearms traced by the FTP in 2015–16, only 1 per cent were identified as illegally imported. It is likely that some illicit firearms imported remain undetected at the border.

This section goes directly to what I was referring to in my first post about the firearms starting life as legally owned:

THE GREY MARKET
Most grey-market firearms are unlikely to be held for the purpose of committing violent
offences; however, these firearms are unlikely to be reported as stolen if theft occurs
by criminals. Motivated criminals are more likely to be interested in using unregistered
firearms, as they are unlikely to be traceable by law enforcement agencies.

Many members of the community still possess grey-market firearms because they did
not surrender these during the 1996–97 gun buyback. Many firearm owners chose at that
time to maintain possession (albeit illegally) during the implementation of the National
Firearms Agreement.

The ACIC has received reports of thefts where both registered and unregistered firearms
were stolen; to avoid adverse police attention, the victim reported only the theft of the
registered firearms. It was during the recovery of the registered firearms that police
discovered the existence of the unregistered and unreported stolen firearms.

From footnotes: The grey market consists of illegally held longarms which should have been registered or surrendered under the 1996
National Firearms Agreement but were not. There are also a small number of black powder handguns in the grey market, which at one time were not required to be registered in some jurisdictions.

1705574676962.png

1705574713472.png

1705574740101.png

So the data above only relates to the existence of illicit firearms, not their use in gun crime. So it does not confirm my above claim. However, it does lend my claim credibility in that a significant majority of illicit firearms likely began their life as legally owned weapons - many of the longarms having become illegal due to changes in law after Port Arthur. From this point, it is not an unreasonable hypothesis that the majority of firearms used in gun related crime began their lives as legally owned weapons. The amount that exist to illegal import is almost negligible.

Might try and look for the right stats later at some point - I fear dredging through that argument with Zaf as it will only make me stupider and madder.

mark22

Likes Dirt
While I try to find that data again (pretty sure it's in that thread that Zaf argued for a relaxation of gun laws and spat the dummy), I'll post relevant material that I find:

2020 illicit firearms report, ACIC: https://www.acic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-08/illicit_firearms_in_australia.pdf
  • Based on available data, the ACIC conservatively estimates there are 260,000 firearms (250,000 longarms and 10,000 handguns) in the domestic illicit market.
  • While it should be possible to associate all illicit firearms with diversion methods, a substantial number of firearms are untraceable and cannot be determined with any confidence to have entered the market by either means.
  • According to Australian border detection figures and the FTP, illegal importation accounts for a comparatively small percentage of illicit firearms in the Australia market. Of all firearms traced by the FTP in 2015–16, only 1 per cent were identified as illegally imported. It is likely that some illicit firearms imported remain undetected at the border.

This section goes directly to what I was referring to in my first post about the firearms starting life as legally owned:

THE GREY MARKET
Most grey-market firearms are unlikely to be held for the purpose of committing violent
offences; however, these firearms are unlikely to be reported as stolen if theft occurs
by criminals. Motivated criminals are more likely to be interested in using unregistered
firearms, as they are unlikely to be traceable by law enforcement agencies.

Many members of the community still possess grey-market firearms because they did
not surrender these during the 1996–97 gun buyback. Many firearm owners chose at that
time to maintain possession (albeit illegally) during the implementation of the National
Firearms Agreement.

The ACIC has received reports of thefts where both registered and unregistered firearms
were stolen; to avoid adverse police attention, the victim reported only the theft of the
registered firearms. It was during the recovery of the registered firearms that police
discovered the existence of the unregistered and unreported stolen firearms.

From footnotes: The grey market consists of illegally held longarms which should have been registered or surrendered under the 1996
National Firearms Agreement but were not. There are also a small number of black powder handguns in the grey market, which at one time were not required to be registered in some jurisdictions.

View attachment 406347

View attachment 406348

View attachment 406349

So the data above only relates to the existence of illicit firearms, not their use in gun crime. So it does not confirm my above claim. However, it does lend my claim credibility in that a significant majority of illicit firearms likely began their life as legally owned weapons - many of the longarms having become illegal due to changes in law after Port Arthur. From this point, it is not an unreasonable hypothesis that the majority of firearms used in gun related crime began their lives as legally owned weapons. The amount that exist to illegal import is almost negligible.

Might try and look for the right stats later at some point - I fear dredging through that argument with Zaf as it will only make me stupider and madder.
Thank you for that information l'm not wishing to be confrontational on this but the above is not accurate and based on a 260,000 "guestimate" by one government department 10 years ago and has remained unchanged since.
I have cherry picked a paragraph about it below with a link to original.

I get that during the original Buy back had some owners saying they would keep the banned weapons and some must have for sure but after many subsequent amnesties I reckon most of these were disposed of. With the threat of big penalties if caught with them it would not be worthwhile in my book, I mean where are you going to use it?

"The SSAA has always been sceptical about the claim of 260,000 illicit firearms and the reverence which this unsubstantiated estimate is afforded. The Association’s Tim Bannister questioned the number’s origin when he was a councilor on the Office of Home Affair’s Commonwealth Firearms Advisory Committee. Labor’s Jason Clare admitted the number was determined internally from a ‘guestimate’ by one department which was then taken up by another department – there was no scientific basis on the formation of the number"
Link to info

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
With the threat of big penalties if caught with them it would not be worthwhile in my book, I mean where are you going to use it?
Yeah, right. These guys are shitting in their pants about the "big penalties" for having an unauthorised firearm to rob/kill!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Yeah, right. These guys are shitting in their pants about the "big penalties" for having an unauthorised firearm to rob/kill!
Probably should have elaborated there, was talking about licenced owners. You are most likely correct as far criminals go.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...let's see...do I hand my sawn off pump action or semi automatic .22 in at this amnesty? Or, because nobody seems to know it exists, get myself some extra cash selling it to that bloke at the pub with the big motorcycle?

Cash please.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Well you could buuuut.

Detective: Did you make out you had a gun license (licence) when you purchased them?

Bryant: No, I never discussed it, never. I just said I had the cash on me and he said that's alright.

Detective: Did he ever, did he ask to see if you had a gun license (licence)?

Bryant: No, never.
(Transcript)

Can you imagine being responsible for playing some part in this?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thank you for that information l'm not wishing to be confrontational on this but the above is not accurate and based on a 260,000 "guestimate" by one government department 10 years ago and has remained unchanged since.
I have cherry picked a paragraph about it below with a link to original.

I get that during the original Buy back had some owners saying they would keep the banned weapons and some must have for sure but after many subsequent amnesties I reckon most of these were disposed of. With the threat of big penalties if caught with them it would not be worthwhile in my book, I mean where are you going to use it?

"The SSAA has always been sceptical about the claim of 260,000 illicit firearms and the reverence which this unsubstantiated estimate is afforded. The Association’s Tim Bannister questioned the number’s origin when he was a councilor on the Office of Home Affair’s Commonwealth Firearms Advisory Committee. Labor’s Jason Clare admitted the number was determined internally from a ‘guestimate’ by one department which was then taken up by another department – there was no scientific basis on the formation of the number"
Link to info
Not going to be confrontational either, it's a discussion, not an argument. But I gotta say, the Sporting Shooter's Association aren't exactly an impartial source and that para offers the thoughts of some one from the association and something that some one might have once said. That's not something that I'd rate as highly credible.

I quoted the material in that report that explained that there is no certainty around the numbers, however, there is yet to be any other more reliable figures given for firearms in Australia in this thread. So good reasoning suggests that until better numbers are provided - or something credible that comprehensively undermines these numbers is cited - They're what we have to work with.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not that long ago, someone got busted importing disassembled Glocks into Australia through the postal system.

Now you can 3d print the plastic chassis for Glocks, Sig P320, etc etc. The trigger packs can literally be bought from US eBay and hidden in Lego Technic or a model RC car kit. The slide, barrel and firing pin could be made on a desktop CNC machine and oven.

If anything it would be easier and safer to make handguns from scratch now rather than trying to import them. The hardest part to source would be the magazine, which requires metal stamping and spring making equipment, but that is hardly insurmountable.

Once you've made a P320, a Tech 9 is easily within reach. There's a lot of concern about so called 'ghost guns' in the US, but given how easy it is to get handguns already, I would have thought other OECD countries with organised crime problems would have more to worry about.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Not going to be confrontational either, it's a discussion, not an argument. But I gotta say, the Sporting Shooter's Association aren't exactly an impartial source and that para offers the thoughts of some one from the association and something that some one might have once said. That's not something that I'd rate as highly credible.

I quoted the material in that report that explained that there is no certainty around the numbers, however, there is yet to be any other more reliable figures given for firearms in Australia in this thread. So good reasoning suggests that until better numbers are provided - or something credible that comprehensively undermines these numbers is cited - They're what we have to work with.
Who knows what the actual figure is but it's certainly not going to be the "guestimate".
The member for Blaxland Jason Clare who was quoted by Tim Bannister questioning the number’s origin when he was a councilor on the Office of Home Affair’s Commonwealth Firearms Advisory Committee.
Mate, I'm confident this is the case.
One of us could ask the Hon Jason but....
I'm off for a ride tomorrow yippee

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think I've said this before, but reposting anyway.... Build Orange Don's wall, but with a twist - not to stop people getting in, rather to stop the idiots getting out! Let them destroy themselves in their own space & not take the rest of the world down with them.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think I've said this before, but reposting anyway.... Build Orange Don's wall, but with a twist - not to stop people getting in, rather to stop the idiots getting out! Let them destroy themselves in their own space & not take the rest of the world down with them.
There are a lot of good people in the US who do a lot of good in the world. I'd much prefer our existence with them in it. There's a lot riding on the coming election. It's not an exaggeration to say that the outcome of the election could set in train a radical change of direction* for the world.

*Not a good one.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not that long ago, someone got busted importing disassembled Glocks into Australia through the postal system.

Now you can 3d print the plastic chassis for Glocks, Sig P320, etc etc. The trigger packs can literally be bought from US eBay and hidden in Lego Technic or a model RC car kit. The slide, barrel and firing pin could be made on a desktop CNC machine and oven.

If anything it would be easier and safer to make handguns from scratch now rather than trying to import them. The hardest part to source would be the magazine, which requires metal stamping and spring making equipment, but that is hardly insurmountable.

Once you've made a P320, a Tech 9 is easily within reach. There's a lot of concern about so called 'ghost guns' in the US, but given how easy it is to get handguns already, I would have thought other OECD countries with organised crime problems would have more to worry about.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Swap ya?