Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

moorey

call me Mia
A lot of bike manufactures are under the pump with minimal parts and covid problems, then have a lack of employees, just give them some time, as many have said on here from their own experience, they'll more than likely come good in the end.
This. Felix's new lyriks had a bushing issue. Max of 20h riding and they wore grooves in the stanchions (no, not a damaged seal or crud). Been waiting 5 months to get a response from SRAM. I’m confident they’ll sort it…eventually. Had to buy new lyriks to keep him riding in the meantime, but Moore is better.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
This. Felix's new lyriks had a bushing issue. Max of 20h riding and they wore grooves in the stanchions (no, not a damaged seal or crud). Been waiting 5 months to get a response from SRAM. I’m confident they’ll sort it…eventually. Had to buy new lyriks to keep him riding in the meantime, but Moore is better.
Now you are surely taking the piss?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@ChrisJC

Have you had any response from Canyon yet?
We have some progress. Tbh, the first point of contact couldn’t be less helpful and denued any known issue. After 10 days trying to get a response I had a guy named Daryl reply. Within 3 or 4 messages he said he knew yhe problem and it wasn’t the plastic spacers but the compression ring. I’d already established that the original compression ring would take a lot more than the recommended 3Nm torque to compress it enough to lock onto the steerer. Problem is that when you start exceeding 3Nm the plastic spacers start deforming.

Daryl sent me an alternate spacer which he says should fix the issue. when it arrived I was surprised that it was also plastic. It grabs the steerer at 3 points and won’t require as much down force to compress.

I haven’t installed it yet Place s it’s too wetto test on the trails at present. I gave my doubt; but I’ll reserve judgement till I try it. Chances are I will still need to replace the top cap and spacers. At least thus guy us trying to grr we lp.

Attachments

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Is this how yours looks under the top cap? Thought I'd do some investigating before (if at all) it becomes an issue on mine. All looks fine, but not enough of grease on stuff for my likings.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as a side note, I know of multiple people that have recently bought new bikes & had issues with the headset. One a Scott Genius, another a Focus, and I think a Canyon Spectral also. Not just isolated to Canyon.

Why on earth are manufacturers putting shitty plastic headsets in new bikes that have issues right away? Bonkers.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Just as a side note, I know of multiple people that have recently bought new bikes & had issues with the headset. One a Scott Genius, another a Focus, and I think a Canyon Spectral also. Not just isolated to Canyon.

Why on earth are manufacturers putting shitty plastic headsets in new bikes that have issues right away? Bonkers.
Speaking of crappy cheaping out new headset designs I’ve only just become aware of the new manufactures trend of drilling holes in the headset and running the cables down through the head tube and then frame. WTF?!!?.? That has got to be one of the worst ideas around. Water in your headset anybody? What about changing out the stem. Oh great. Gotta bleed the bloody rear brake now. Ridiculous.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Speaking of crappy cheaping out new headset designs I’ve only just become aware of the new manufactures trend of drilling holes in the headset and running the cables down through the head tube and then frame. WTF?!!?.? That has got to be one of the worst ideas around. Water in your headset anybody? What about changing out the stem. Oh great. Gotta bleed the bloody rear brake now. Ridiculous.
Ok boomer.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Holes in the headset? Surely you jest.....off to google