Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
The plastic spacers are not securing the fork in the headset, this is allowing play(creaking noise) between the bearing inner race and steerer tube. As seen in the image below, this proves there is potential movement in the headset and can cause damage to other parts including the frame.

Wear on fork steerer tube

Correct torque was applied using my warren and brown 1-24 Nm deflector beam wrench, so I'm confident that it was done correctly. Also using loctite thread locker on the threads to make sure nothing came loose.

Edit*
I found a reddit post with the exact same issue on the steerer tube, same visible markings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/nbytqh/_/gzuqve2

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the main thing is the top cap torque is enough to take out any play. 9Nm for the stem bolts seems high but, if that's what they recommend. if it's only 8, it normally wouldn't make any difference! What pisses me off is their denial when it's a well documented issue!

smaj

Likes Dirt
@ChrisJC Firstly, I hope that in a couple of months you will be looking back at this and laughing cause it seems like a storm in a teacup at this point.

Yes, it's disappointing buying something that you're really looking forward to and it having problems. We've all been there.

You said that Canyon have undertaken to get back to with within a few days, which is pretty good really. Others have indicated impressive customer service outcomes from them so you'll likely be happy with the outcome if you're reasonable about it.
Yeah, when I got my Spectral their customer service were awesome about the minor stuff I picked up on. Even gave me a $70 credit for touch up paint after I sent them photos of a few minor issues. I thought $70 was way too much, but hey, I put it towards a frame protector :)

@ChrisJC your issue is annoying, and I hope they sort it out quickly for you. The Spectral 29 seems like a great bike (I have the 27.5 and love it). They do have good form for fixing major stuff in the past e.g. Spectral rear triangle welds.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, when I got my Spectral their customer service were awesome about the minor stuff I picked up on. Even gave me a $70 credit for touch up paint after I sent them photos of a few minor issues. I thought $70 was way too much, but hey, I put it towards a frame protector :)

@ChrisJC your issue is annoying, and I hope they sort it out quickly for you. The Spectral 29 seems like a great bike (I have the 27.5 and love it). They do have good form for fixing major stuff in the past e.g. Spectral rear triangle welds.
Over a week now and they haven’t even looked at the issue! I have a bike that’s unrideable through no fault of my own. Not exactly what I would call great service.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
“Unrideable”, fucking lol.

Errrmagerd, having a new bike with a minor issue is so hard!
Feel better now? Rather than read one one or 2 comments, get the full picture before replying. As was mentioned a few pists back, the plastic spacers are allowing the steerer to move around and is causing danage!

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol. I would have well and truly bought a new headset cap & spacers, fixed the issue, taken photos and then approached Canyon to cover the cost by now. Doesn't leave any room for messing around or suggested half-assed fixes.
That’s all fine but it doesn’t help the next unsuspecting buyer that has to go through the same hassle. It’s a design fault they need to fix!

really, I don’t give a fuck! I have another bike to ride and on principle I’ll keep pushing till they get off their arses, stop telling lies that they’ve never heard of the issue and fix it!

And what if on the slight change there’s damage to the frame, cups etc and I fork out for replacements only to find it doesn’t solve the problem? I’m on my own with a 9k lemon!

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol. I would have well and truly bought a new headset cap & spacers, fixed the issue, taken photos and then approached Canyon to cover the cost by now. Doesn't leave any room for messing around or suggested half-assed fixes.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Feel better now? Rather than read one one or 2 comments, get the full picture before replying. As was mentioned a few pists back, the plastic spacers are allowing the steerer to move around and is causing danage!
Yeah I read the multiple posts where people suggested a cheap, simple fix and then suggested than Canyon have been quite helpful with reimbursing costs to users when having done so.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That’s all fine but it doesn’t help the next unsuspecting buyer that has to go through the same hassle. It’s a design fault they need to fix!

really, I don’t give a fuck! I have another bike to ride and on principle I’ll keep pushing till they get off their arses, stop telling lies that they’ve never heard of the issue and fix it!
Send them a video of it squawking.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I read the multiple posts where people suggested a cheap, simple fix and then suggested than Canyon have been quite helpful with reimbursing costs to users when having done so.
Do you think it’s acceptable to sell bikes with a known issue and expext the buyer to fix it. As I said, I have another bike to ride, and on principle I’ll wait till Canyon stop ducking and weaving and fix the issue.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I've had several of my own issues with Canyon, the biggest when I had to warranty a part and they then tried to put me into debt collection as there accountants in Europe thought that they had refunded me twice, when they hadn't. I would never buy from them again nor encourage anyone else to.

However you have a pretty simple choice here. Either fix the problem yourself and send them the bill, or return the bike for a total refund as it is not fit for purpose.

I understand that you're mighty pissed off and you have every right to be, but venting here is only going to make matters worse as as you've seen, plenty of people get their shits and giggles from trolling. Regardless you need to take action one way or another, Canyon aren't going to redesign their frames for you or anyone else as to do so would cost millions and your inconvenience won't be high on their priority list.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Do you think it’s acceptable to sell bikes with a known issue and expext the buyer to fix it. As I said, I have another bike to ride, and on principle I’ll wait till Canyon stop ducking and weaving and fix the issue.
Do you think that your approach is going to make them change and fix this issue?

I'd suggest that their response to you indicates that it won't. You're fighting a battle on principle - which you won't win - rather than fighting for your own interests. Just seems like a strange thing to do, IMO.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you think that your approach is going to make them change and fix this issue?

I'd suggest that their response to you indicates that it won't. You're fighting a battle on principle - which you won't win - rather than fighting for your own interests. Just seems like a strange thing to do, IMO.
Why is it strange that they should have to fix a known issue? They’re only hurting themselves. I have s valid case and if they choose to ignore it, fair trading, and the credit card provider will force them to either fix it or refund me.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had several of my own issues with Canyon, the biggest when I had to warranty a part and they then tried to put me into debt collection as there accountants in Europe thought that they had refunded me twice, when they hadn't. I would never buy from them again nor encourage anyone else to.

However you have a pretty simple choice here. Either fix the problem yourself and send them the bill, or return the bike for a total refund as it is not fit for purpose.

I understand that you're mighty pissed off and you have every right to be, but venting here is only going to make matters worse as as you've seen, plenty of people get their shits and giggles from trolling. Regardless you need to take action one way or another, Canyon aren't going to redesign their frames for you or anyone else as to do so would cost millions and your inconvenience won't be high on their priority list.
I’n pursuing the latter option. The whole thing has left a bitter taste

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
No, I don't think it's acceptable to sell a defective product, but I also have some understanding of the magnitude and complexity of a global supply chain and current demands on warranty departments with never-seen-before sales volumes. Even assuming your issue has been seen in high enough numbers to be considered a 'known issue' by the global head office (ie: <5 cases venting their frustation on the internet, out of total number of bikes sold might be very low %'s of the total production run sold), and it might not have been seen by the local warranty department before. Even assuming it is a known problem, was your bike shipped/dispatched before the problem became known? I don't know the answers, you probably do. I get it's frustrating - but you're coming across like it's the end of the world. If you want to pursue a total refund, go ahead and do so. But it seems frivolous doing so when you have an otherwise functional bike that can be repaired with minimal expense and fuss. Most people can't even find a frame in stock, let alone get the build kit they want thanks to all the COVID supply chain shortages. So raging about wanting a complete refund because of faulty plastic headset spacers "doesn't pass the pub test" in the current climate. Yes, you're technically correct, but no - you're not going to find a lot of sympathy just because you've turned the volume up to 11. It also feels a lot like you've deliberately created this thread to try and build a groundswell of support so you can attach a forum thread link to your warranty claim for some extra leverage over Canyon but it hasn't worked out how you hoped. As previously mentioned - some people on here (though not all) have had excellent service from Canyon's warranty department. Maybe it depends on how you approach them...

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, I don't think it's acceptable to sell a defective product, but I also have some understanding of the magnitude and complexity of a global supply chain and current demands on warranty departments with never-seen-before sales volumes. Even assuming your issue has been seen in high enough numbers to be considered a 'known issue' by the global head office (ie: <5 cases venting their frustation on the internet, out of total number of bikes sold might be very low %'s of the total production run sold), and it might not have been seen by the local warranty department before. Even assuming it is a known problem, was your bike shipped/dispatched before the problem became known? I don't know the answers, you probably do. I get it's frustrating - but you're coming across like it's the end of the world. If you want to pursue a total refund, go ahead and do so. But it seems frivolous doing so when you have an otherwise functional bike that can be repaired with minimal expense and fuss. Most people can't even find a frame in stock, let alone get the build kit they want thanks to all the COVID supply chain shortages. So raging about wanting a complete refund because of faulty plastic headset spacers "doesn't pass the pub test" in the current climate. Yes, you're technically correct, but no - you're not going to find a lot of sympathy just because you've turned the volume up to 11. It also feels a lot like you've deliberately created this thread to try and build a groundswell of support so you can attach a forum thread link to your warranty claim for some extra leverage over Canyon but it hasn't worked out how you hoped. As previously mentioned - some people on here (though not all) have had excellent service from Canyon's warranty department. Maybe it depends on how you approach them...
You're full of assumptions. I don't care if others agree, are sympathetic or think I'm wrong. I just wanted to see if others have had the issue and what Canyon did to fix it. Fair trading won't care about anyone else's issues. their only concern is whether or not a product is fit for purpose.