Capital Punishment is GO

toby

Likes Dirt
The carbon footprint on this race sounds like it will be massive!

I know our group of a few riders is taking two cars from Sydney just to allow for the start and finish. This is no different to other point to point races...but yeah it needs to be addressed in this day.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
...drop at car at Stromlo (hoping the gates are still open)
I agree it could be better thought out, but at least they've extended access to Stromlo.

Paraphrased from the Cap Punishment website:
Parking available at Stromlo Forest Park on Friday 5pm - 10pm; gates re-open at 4:30am Saturday.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
First you have to drive up on a Friday night, find rego, then sign on,
You're making a mountain out of a molehill .. No different to any other marathon, unless it's in your own city.

drop at car at Stromlo (hoping the gates are still open), drive to your accom,
No need for a car at Stromlo, as you pointed out below. Good to do if you can drop a 2nd car there, of course. Also, the gates will not be an issue because they'll be open until 10PM - and you could always just leave it over the road in Deek's Forest carpark which has no gates. Or down the road, or ...

sleep, awake at f$$$King early O'clock,
.. take your cement pills, Princess ..

Or keep two cars and both drive of to your respective starts.
Or drop off the 50kms at their start on the way out to the 100km start.

At the end of the race queue for 17hours for a minibus that can only carry 16bikes, which get scratched to b*gg*ry, crashing around in a trailer.
Melodrama much? If you don't want someone to transport your bike for you, sort it yourself. It's not like everyone at AROC owns beater bikes and has no clue about how they should be treated, anyway. If your problem is really that you don't like point to point races, vote with your wallet and don't enter them!

Here's a little suggestion: Everyone doing the 50km race coming from Interstate - stay in the Inner North and ride to the start. It'll be a gentle 20 minute warmup, which'll be a good idea when it's zero degrees.

Also, you could even leave the car at Stromlo late Friday arvo, ride slowly back to Civic for rego (15 km = 45 minutes), have a carbo load dinner in town and a taper light beer or 2 and be in bed for 8 hours sleep.

Yeah good one Rich.

You're assuming everyones staying in the city. What if they're not?

Every other marathon is on a Sunday. I can understand why AROC put in on a Saturday, its doubles the people for the nightlife in the city of the dead.

I have nothing against P2P races. The races is like every other one. What I'm not appreciating about this one is that unless you have access to multiple cars and some friendly non-riders the logistics of this one are pretty ordinary.
You could start the 50km an hour after the 100km and make life a lot easier. And less hanging around at the end waiting for your respective partner to finish. In the cold with no spare clothes. Yeah you could carry them with you, or go out the night before and hide em under a bush.

Yeah I was being pissy about the transport, but even if you have proper bike transporters, you are going to have to wait a long time in the cold for a bus to take you back to your car.
I'm contemplating taking those cement pills and riding the 25km to the start and the 40km back to my non central accom. 165km can't be that hard right?:p

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Here's a little suggestion: Everyone doing the 50km race coming from Interstate - stay in the Inner North and ride to the start. It'll be a gentle 20 minute warmup, which'll be a good idea when it's zero degrees.

Also, you could even leave the car at Stromlo late Friday arvo, ride slowly back to Civic for rego (15 km = 45 minutes), have a carbo load dinner in town and a taper light beer or 2 and be in bed for 8 hours sleep.
hahah, nice one - I live in inner inner north and plan to do exactly all of this. Phoenix Friday night anyone? But then again, I suppose people new to canberra are a little frought.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wife cant wait fo CP in return for dropping me at kowen at a slightly ungodly hour she has booked herself into a cooking school. I think the thought of me being out of her hair for 7 hours is for her a good thing. She was even dissapointed when i told her that looking at the course profile i should be able to PB my 100 time because it meant she would have to get to stromlo earlier than planned

Rookie

Likes Dirt
Another option is for the 50ker in your group to drop off the 100kers and then drive back to the 50 start. Race the 50 and then take an easy 30-45 mins spin on bike paths back to Campbell park to pick up the car. Back in time to meet the 100kers finshing and everyone will have their warm clothes.

Starting both races at the same time almost garauntees that neither groups will have to deal with hangers on from the other. Good idea IMO :D

It strikes me that some people just whine alot because they need to be spoon fed.

I have entered CP but have only ridden sparrow hill. Could anybody enlighten me how we cross canberra. I'm assuming we have to cross roads through canberra somewhere to get to stromlo. Is a more detailed map of the course available anywhere.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I have entered CP but have only ridden sparrow hill. Could anybody enlighten me how we cross canberra. I'm assuming we have to cross roads through canberra somewhere to get to stromlo. Is a more detailed map of the course available anywhere.
No map of the course yet - possibly not until the event since it involves private property which the owners wouldn't want pre-ridden.

The course will obviously cross Majura Parkway at the pines riding area, or go along it a bit, or something...
Then I reckon it will go over to the triple-tri route kind of thing, meaning we will exit Majura at the top gate, then cross Ainslie & Braddon, Northbourne (major road), then probably some Bruce Ridge singletrack then across the footbridge and end up on the Triple Triathlon route (firetrails) as it goes around the bottom of Black Mtn... from there, in my imaginary course based on nothing, it will stay on firetrails mostly, probably including the big-arse climb between Dairy Farmer's Hill and Stromlo... then probably a decent loop of Stromlo singletrack to the finish... (I totally made all that up but geez I'm excited (and exhausted) just thinking about it.)

In summary, yes there will be roads to cross, at least one will be major, probably marshalled(?).

Last edited:

JD26

Likes Dirt
IN SHORT.... speculating of course;)

Kowen MTB firetrail and singletrack, from east to west
Sutton MTB firetrail and singletrack, from north to south
Back up into kowen a little bit
Cruise Sutton road,
Hook into Fairbairn park (firetrails)
Pialligo Ave Bitumen past the airport up to Duntroon
Cross some paddocks
Up over the saddle
Into Majura singletrack
Majura Road\Federal Hwy bitumen
Cross under federal hwy
Go through Nature reserves through Mitchell
Gungahlin Drive Extension - bitumen
Firetrails of Aranda
Bike path down to Cork plantation
firetrails out to stromlo
red loop at stromlo

JD26

Likes Dirt
Any idea's what sort of time the fast guys will do? The families doing questacon and want a rough time for pickup :)
It takes me 45 minutes to ride a brisk pace from Majura to Stromlo.

I am hoping to do 4-4.5 hours - but it will be dependent on the day of course

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Any idea's what sort of time the fast guys will do? The families doing questacon and want a rough time for pickup :)
Christ don't ask memate :eek: I'm one of those who are glad that the hundred starts early enough to be reasonably sure of finishing in daylight :D

Rookie

Likes Dirt
It will be fast if its on the course suggested above. Low 4hrs at the most for the front runners in the ton. I would suggest 2-2.15 for the front guys in the fitty.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
It will be fast if its on the course suggested above. Low 4hrs at the most for the front runners in the ton. I would suggest 2-2.15 for the front guys in the fitty.
ok, must admit I thought that given the amount of singletrack being talked about you just cant do 25km avg.. hmm

72Fury

Likes Dirt
No need for a car at Stromlo, as you pointed out below. Good to do if you can drop a 2nd car there, of course. Also, the gates will not be an issue because they'll be open until 10PM - and you could always just leave it over the road in Deek's Forest carpark which has no gates. Or down the road, or ...
I wouldn't recommend leaving a car at Deeks overnight unless you want some 'remodelling' work done. Even Stromlo would be a bit of a risk. The area is full of rednecks at night.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Anyone want a lift from melbourne? I will be leaving the northern suburbs Friday morning. Returning Sunday. I am staying on the east side of canberra close to the 100 start.