Car Chat....

Weasel

Likes Dirt
You can have the nicest lowest most powerfull commo/ rice burner/ whatever in existance but your still goning to be scabbing a lift to the track if it aint a ute...

I used to build V8's and all that i even had a mint XW GT for a few years... now i got a POS Series 3 landrover clothtop and i tell you what it makes more sence to me to have a car you can just motor around in and carry the bikes and mates and anything else than having somthing you cant use for anything but looks nice...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This has to be in contention for the worst thread ever.

Could someone ban Frandy until he grows up, grows a brain or both?

scblack

Leucocholic
why the hell would you waste 15 grand on a twin turbo???

you dont turbo v8's

you supercharge them....
Try telling Porsche that - look at the Cayenne Turbo. V8 Twin turbo 331kw, 620nm from just 2,250rpm.

And I just calculated - the Turbo has a premium of just $77,200 over the non-turbo. Yep, $77k. Turbo $207,100 Non turbo $129,900.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
I'm glad restrictions have been placed on P platers. When you are on your P's you don't have 1/5 of bugger all driving experience or skill. For me it's taken several years, advanced and defensive driving courses and writing off a car just off my red P's to calm down, be able to deal with things as they arise and generally drive safe. I'm pretty sure if I had of been in a very fast car for those early years I would of had more incidents than the one I had, and potentially killed myself.

Yes, retreads are that bad. Most I've seen are rated for top speeds of 80km/h. Those chunks of tyres you see up and down the freeway? Retreads (mostly from trucks I know, but retreads notheless).

Oh, and you do know that there is (at least in NSW) an offence called "burnout" and "aggravated burnout" so "having a bit of fun" is illegal right?

That all said I currently drive a J-Spec Mazda MX6. Non-turbo, but Mx5 handling with a 2.5L 180hp V6. It's not a monster but it's very fun to drive twisty roads in, and insure for an under 25 year old.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
This has to be in contention for the worst thread ever.

Could someone ban Frandy until he grows up, grows a brain or both?
dont worry oddjob, hes just like every other kid thats never been behind the wheel of a real car. it looks easy cos mum and dad never seem to get into difficulties.

once you get behind the wheel, its quite a humbling experience when you realise how fast 60kmh just really is. the passenger seat doesnt accurately give you that feeling.
i wasnt a "omg gotta punch it" learner, and even when i got in the drivers seat for the first time i was quite nervous. im sure frandy will shit a brick the first time he gets in the seat or has to make a driving decision at speed (merging, overtaking, etc)

if i have one piece of learner advice, it would be:

learn in a car park (somewhere like southland or chaddy are not good ideas. you want somewhere open like monash uni on the weekends). i did and thank my mum for her patience every day. not only are you limited to speed of about 20km/h but it teaches you how the car responds when you turn the wheel or apply the brakes.

plus you can also use the bay markings as mock lane markings, and if there are any parked cars and you feel confident, you can practice driving next to them to get an idea of spacial awareness.

once you have done this, getting out on to the road wont be nearly as hard.

also, and some might flame me, i would suggest learning in an auto first up, so you can get the handling of a car down pat, then if you want to learn in a manual move to a car that has that.

just remember, its not a race. there are no points awarded to the driver who can get out of the carpark at woolies fastest.

W2ttsy

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Frandy, you need to pull your head in.
Driving around in a car that has more power than you can handle (it doesn't take too much...) and intentionally getting sideways and doing burnouts on the street is stupid. Not only are you wasting your time and money, you are endangering everything and everyone on the road around you. I've seen many accidents where people have been complete morons and done something "fun" and ended up hurting someone really bad.
They make road rules for a reason, if you stick to them and be a responsible driver, you should do okay.
Keep the performance driving on a race track with the correct safety measures in place.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Oh, and you do know that there is (at least in NSW) an offence called "burnout" and "aggravated burnout" so "having a bit of fun" is illegal right?
Not only is it illegal, but your car can be impounded for 48 hours for first time offence and you will receive a fine. For repeat offenders (third time) they will confiscate your car for good.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Well my frist car was a 1980 mazda 626 that my aunty gave to me when I was 16 because it was worth nothing, we got it road worthy & I drove it for a couple of years. Did some silly stuff (rally style), mucked up a few times & banged it up a bit.

Next was a '87 nissan skyline 5spd man & lsd, again the silly stuff, again dinged under the drivers side door when I slid off the road into a ditch.

My current car, a VU-II SS ute, is worth considerably more than my 1st two cars which means I am much more careful with it. It's also lost a shitload of value since I've had it. It's quite comfortable which is important because I do a LOT of k's which the 8 handles with ease.

Bottom line is that I got it because It's what I wanted, and wont be selling any time soon. (unless I absolutely have to...)

Click the link in my sig & check it out!

Last edited:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Actually, thinking back now. There was one close call that really stands out. I lost control with a car load of passengers and was extremely lucky to not crash. It was soo close to being a possible roll over & into big trees at ~80kph - NO ONE wants to deal with seriously injuring or killing someone, let alone multiple peope. I don't ever want to be in a situation like that again.

protecon

Likes Dirt
i drive a peugeot diesel wagon with a baby seat in the back. :eek:
Lucky I have a bike for cheap thrills!!!
Diesel powwweeerrrr (Clarkson style).

As for the OP, I encourage darwinism as well as environmentalism - so please, try to get your hands on the most unpractical, inefficient vehicle and make swift work of destroying it.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Diesel powwweeerrrr (Clarkson style).

As for the OP, I encourage darwinism as well as environmentalism - so please, try to get your hands on the most unpractical, inefficient vehicle and make swift work of destroying it.
That's a great idea! Really! Then we can get back to using cars as a form of transport and not have any need for high power unless you actually race (on a track).
I mean seriously, why does anyone need that much power from their car? I have a diesel Toyota 4Runner with 60kW of power and 183Nm torque in a car that weighs over 1600kg and I have never needed any more than that. Oh, and I get on average, 10L/100km

---Matt---

Robb

Likes Dirt
Actually, thinking back now. There was one close call that really stands out. I lost control with a car load of passengers and was extremely lucky to not crash. It was soo close to being a possible roll over & into big trees at ~80kph - NO ONE wants to deal with seriously injuring or killing someone, let alone multiple peope. I don't ever want to be in a situation like that again.

That reminds me of something i saw on rexnet.com.au...

Found some old pics of this crash i was in a few years back.We had bought this old mazda and on the last day of rego went for a strap
I drove for a bit doin a few slides and stuff and then was stupid enough to let my mate have a go laugh.gif well he came into the first corner a left hander doing about 80ks and got sideways powering out in third gear,the car didnt really have the power to keep the over steer going and it snaped back,he wasnt anywhere near capable of predicting it or catching it,as i found out.

The car flicked right and slid toward the side of the road i could see quite a solid tree coming straight toward the front passanger door where i was sitting the next thing the car hit the dirt gutter this rolled it on its side so fast you would not belive it,the tree hit the top of the roof crushing it in on us.

The front part of the roof caught the top of my mates head if you look close at the picture of the inside of the car you can actualy see where it has hit from the blood stain,when he came too he then proceded to freek out and do the nice finger paint design that you can see on hood lining.

I didn't have a scratch on me the roof was going straight down towards my legs and about 15 cm infront of my face,i had to lean the seat back and slide out through the back side window,while he was yelling "dont leave me hear,don't leave me hear!" and trying to pull me back into the car.

I had to run around and lean his seat back and bend the back window down to slide him out through it,as i was pulling him out i could see this huge cut in his head about 20cm long,i wraped it up with his T shirt and then we had to walk about 2ks down the road befor the ranger came along.My mate ended up going into sugery that night and had 57 stiches in his head and about ten on the back of each hand because the tree crushed them on the steering wheel.

I still remember when we were walking down the road he said "it seemed so much easier on the playstation" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
the cop reckond he had never seen a car that damaged in a crash without a fatality,i supose you could say we were lucky.

Sorry for the hijack, but just some evidence of how quickly a little bit of ignorant 'fun' can turn into an allmost serious life threatening event.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Jesus H Christ. They got very very lucky. I put an Outback on its roof when I was 18, but it looked nothing like that disaster.
I vote best post in this thread Robb. Picture tells 1000 words and all.

murrum

Banned
That's a great idea! Really! Then we can get back to using cars as a form of transport and not have any need for high power unless you actually race (on a track).
I mean seriously, why does anyone need that much power from their car? I have a diesel Toyota 4Runner with 60kW of power and 183Nm torque in a car that weighs over 1600kg and I have never needed any more than that. Oh, and I get on average, 10L/100km

---Matt---
i do get the benefit of peugeot HDI efficiency.....5.5L/100ks is my current average:) :) :)

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i do get the benefit of peugeot HDI efficiency.....5.5L/100ks is my current average:) :) :)
Damn you and your european efficiency! ;)

I personally can't wait for the day that petrol/dino diesel runs out and I'm left running on 100% biodiesel... but that's gonna be a while away yet.

---Matt---

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I've got a 1985 4 Runner, and i love it. It's a 2.4 litre diesel and has done around 500,000 kms. Had some oil and clutch problems a few years back but we got it all sorted out. Latest thing I had done to it was had extractors put on. The car is pretty old now being an '85 model and basically has no power left in it. Dad and I are thinking of getting a new engine for it, something like a 2.8 or 3.0 turbo diesel, that's about all it will fit. Suspension is stock, leaf in the rear. Works best when on a full tank and with some weight in the back.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as for depreciation, mitsubishi have the worst depreciation value. my girl friends lancer was $23,990 new (2005), she bought it a year after it was released for $12,500 (2006). not the best resale value ever.
my car was $33,990 brand new (2004) and i picked it up for $21k (2006), and its worth at the start of this year was closer to $24k. i got mine cheaper than retail as i knew the dealer, but still, its better resale value than the mistubishi.

W2ttsy

You realise that a type r isn't mitsubishi right?

hubbie

Forever 1,337
cmon guys,
be nice to the kid. I'm sure everyone on here has wanted to "rip a burnout" or just go fast at some stage. how about we be a positive and friendly role model for him?

Retreads really are shocking. they are ok for A to B, but even then they suck. Better to buy a good pair that will actually save you in the wet, and try and restrict burnouts. You know if the cops find you losing traction, they can impound your car for something like 3 months?