Chainsaw advice....

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...I should also add. I haven't ruled out a battery powered saw....but there's no power at the block and it's a 10 minute drive back to our place.
I am, however, invested in the Makita 18v system....and they have a couple of cordless options....
I literally found an 18v ryobi chainsaw on council cleanup. Already had the batteries so tested it out - only suited to pruning around the yard with a tiny bar and very slow chain speed. Now have a 36v and it is more like a proper saw but still a bit small for a rural block. It is however really convenient, fairly powerful for its size and so quiet you don’t need earplugs.

IF the budget was there having a smaller battery unit (Makita 2x18v?) and a big petrol saw for serious work would be the go.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah I was thinking the same.

If we ever build a house on the property then I'd look at a battery one for smashing out smaller stuff ready for burning.

I reckon another few years and the battery ones might be directly comparable...

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know if you can still do it but I bought a Husky 450,18 inch 50cc on Amazon, was half the price it is here. Personally I'd try and get something at least that size, I don't use it a heap and it is a bit heavy certainly much heavier than the smaller 16inch it replaced but so much easier to cut firewood and the occasional tree I cut down, those things grow so fast! I'm rubbish at maintaining it but it does very well even with my neglect!

MasterOfReality

After forever
I have about 2000sqm of bushland with a whole heap of dead trees I need to cut up into firewood. Can't decide between the stihl ms180 or ms181. About a $150 price difference. I dont want to get a bigger saw as the trees are not that big (30-40cm dianeter), but don't want to spend heaps on something that's going to get used once a year.

I prefer stihl as i have their kombi system and have given it hell with no complaints but am open to suggestions.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Saw doctor.
Have always cut my own wood w some assistance for the big stuff. Always believed you should buy quality tools.
6 years ago bought a hydraulic wood splitter for the 50 HP tractor , if it cant split it , it shears it .
Rayburn wood stove + wood heater in the house and small Nectre heater in my surgery.
I have 3 Makita 14 inch cast iron drop saws to cut it shorter.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Also, a bigger saw with smaller bar is sweet if not cutting huge stuff. Increases usable power.
Yeah, that's the go.

Back in the day I had a huge Solo, and it was good, but way too heavy. Went to an Echo, with a big motor and a 16" bar, it was an awesome saw. Lost it via a divorce. Then went to a Shindaiwa, as advised by an timber industry friend, which I still have and it has been great. But 37cc and a 16" bar, it's a bit undergunned. It gets the job done, but patience is a virtue.

A few months ago, at Aldis, they had one of their 2 strokers left on the closeout shelf for well under $100, so I bought it. Didn't really need it as I'm happy with the Shindaiwa. But, one thing I really like is the starter. You pull the rope, and it winds a spring, which lets go and starts the motor, and it works very well. I haven't really used it for anything major yet, but with 45cc pushing a 16" bar, it's got heaps of poke. Another nice thing is the tool-less chain adjustment and bar removal.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate is a chainsaw nerd!

He has all ways said husky for a small saw and Stihl for a big saw

I currently have a 70cc pro stihl and an echo arborists saw

Bigger saws are so much better if you don’t need to lift them above your head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
+1 for the medium to bigger saw. You'll struggle to get through some big stuff with a little guy and you'll be laughing all the way through it with a bigger saw.

I used to run a 20" Stihl and a 16" cheapie. The 20 did the lion's share of the work, but it was handy to have the little one for de-branching or just small logs. The 20 was a pain to lug around, but made light work of big gums that would have taken the 16 hours to eat through.

Also make sure you buy koala tea chains and keep them good and sharp, and sharpened evenly. I can't emphasize enough the difference between a good chain and a cheapie, they don't cut even remotely similarly.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

safreek

Just remember to do some research on how to chainsaw properly, if you are not all that experienced a course would do you no harm.
If you understand how the tree drops and allowing it's own weight to do a lot of the work you can get away with a pretty small bar.
I have dropped reasonable size trees with a stihl pruning saw in the past, the one handed jiggers

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also get some chainsaw pants, they have Kevlar fibre in them and jam the chainsaw if you touch your leg while it’s going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Well here she is!
Just bought this from the local Husqi dealer.
Is about 12-18 months old. Was their shop demo - they said it's done bugger-all work.
Just had some new parts fitted to bring it back to 'as-new' spec. (including full check and service).
Paid $600 cash.
Unless they're a bunch of liars (don't think so)... I think I got a great deal on a near-new Husqi!

I'm very surprised how light it is for its size too.

Just cut a pine post with it.
Yep, it cuts wood good.

Really appreciate all the excellent advice given guys - as always RB forums punch well above their weight.

I am a c.s. rookie so the advice re safety courses and equipment is def. noted. Will look into it.
They are fucking dangerous after all.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf