Chinese Carbon 29er

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is amazing how close a match you can get with cheap nail polish.
But I also have plenty of frame protection tape on the TT, DT and other strategic places.

OIL

Likes Dirt
It is amazing how close a match you can get with cheap nail polish.
But I also have plenty of frame protection tape on the TT, DT and other strategic places.
i'd have to build 2. one for the wall and one for the trails.

then again - my MTB has been filthy for the last few weeks and looks amazing with scratched carbon....

swanny81

Likes Bikes
I think you mean syncros bar
Yes, yes I do. Sorry, had been a long day :p

Looks great! Great spec list as well.

But you are the first person i have seen who runs a Ron on the back and a Ralph on the Front.
Cheers! Not sure on keeping the tyres in that config, haven't ridden Schwalbe mtb tyres as yet so I'm more than open to swapping them over once I see how it rides.

god i love this bike, they are such a sexy looking piece - i'd almost keep the pink grips too...

keep us updated on the ride quality!!! what's the est. $$$ build value??
Thanks bud, yeah the pink grips are a bit of a gee up but I actually do like how they look!
Will do, I've taken it for a quick roll around and it seems promising, but will have a better idea soon - hoping to get out on it this evening.

I've tried not to keep track too closely, but it shouldn't be too much over $2.5k

swanny81

Likes Bikes
I haven't heard anything about weight limits, I imagine it would depend on how you ride it to a certain extent.

Rather than the frame though, I think it is more components like wheels (rims), seats and seatposts etc that tend to cop a beating from heavier riders.

struggles

Likes Dirt
I haven't heard anything about weight limits, I imagine it would depend on how you ride it to a certain extent.

Rather than the frame though, I think it is more components like wheels (rims), seats and seatposts etc that tend to cop a beating from heavier riders.
My experience is a bit of both. I have broken frames on bikes that have never had a wheel go out of true. Then I have broken spokes and cracked rims on other bikes. Then some I have had no issues with.

I gave the frame a miss anyway even though it was new and only $180.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some of these Chinese 29ers aren't that good value. Look at the Taiwanese (where all the good carbon is made) made MacMahone Empire 29er, can be had for under $1K with warranty.
http://www.blackdust.com.au/empire29
So better to pay 3x the price because of warranty? On the whole (from what i read on forums) any issues with the major Chi carbon and Chi Ti frames have been dealt with as well or better than name brands.

I am more than happy with mine and believe it will last me for some years to come.....

matt36415

Likes Dirt
I commented early on in this 'discussion' but then got too annoyed with some of the silly things being said.

I have 2 no name carbon china frames, a 26inch ht which I rode for almost 3 years before going to a 29er.

The 26 inch china frame is hanging in my garage in good condition. I did all my training for the 24 hour worlds on it, I stacked it quite a few times, I did several laps of that 24 on the china 26inch.

I weigh 105kg. Stuff breaks for me, not these frames though.

My china 29er is brilliant. Same deal, bought from Ebay (logged onto the USA site and searched there) I built it up, like the 26inch and both were easy jobs, tapered head tube, internal cable routing... Its good.

Warranty - I have never needed it. Some might I suppose.

If you can put all the parts together yourself then it can be a good way to go, but they are not quite as lithe as the claimed weights of some name brands (however I am 198cm tall so I always get the biggest size - so I guess it would be heavier)

I was concerned about getting a rear mech hanger if I broke it, so I asked the seller and they threw 2 extra ones in free both times.

I also run a china carbon handlebar on the 29er ht. No issues there either, it was on the 26inch version and now has migrated to the 29er.

Japanese made used to mean poor quality, now its the opposite, Chinese used to mean.... I'm happy with mine

matt36415

Likes Dirt
So better to pay 3x the price because of warranty? On the whole (from what i read on forums) any issues with the major Chi carbon and Chi Ti frames have been dealt with as well or better than name brands.

I am more than happy with mine and believe it will last me for some years to come.....

I second that, and that Mc Mahone you linket to looks really, really very exactly precisely like my china frame, I wonder...

varus

Squid
Hey peeps Ive already started a thread on buyin a 2013 29er and after seeing this would it be cheaper to guy one of these frames and buy the components seperately ?

Mike95

Likes Dirt
cheaper depends on what spec level of components you build the bike with.

If your patient & are happy to buy some 2nd hand parts, wait for bargins to pop up
you can build a competitively price carbon hardtail.

All the little bits & pieces start to add up so if you don't have a nice spare parts bin
or other bikes around to rip parts from it soon adds up. Also factor in LBS cost if you can't build it yourself.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
+1 - It won't be cheaper

Having just been through this, you will end up spending more to match equivalent builds, but you do end up with a bike exactly as you want.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Most of the fun is shopping for all of the parts and slowly seeing it come together!

And yes, as mentioned, you can get the EXACT build you want.....

For "cheap" carbon HT builds, you can'y go past a Giant XTC

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Cheaper or not,

Easy way to find out is to find a bike manufacturer you might buy from, eg, Giant, Merida, etc, get their build sheet and price up all of the components then add this price to the price of your carbon frame. I did the same when comparing the option of buying a ready to ride Anthem 26" or get the frame, fork, shock combo. I ended up with going the frame option and building up with what I wanted. Ended up being marginally more expensive then the rtr Anthem but it is the build that I want.

Shopping is the fun part though and the build can be fun too and you learn heaps when building your own bike. The learning is priceless.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure whether it would've been cheaper to buy straight off the rack.

I really enjoyed building my China 29er. Buying parts that I needed, putting everything together and seeing the final result. My build cost around 2k. I've got all the parts I wanted and since the bike has been finished, all I've done, is ride. When you buy off the self, I've always found myself looking for bits to change. Always wanting to personalise my bike. Building from scratch fixed that.:lol:

My bike has done 2 Otway's, enduro's and all my weekly rides. I guess its done 1500-2000k's, and still going strong. I'm thinking about building another one!

Here's a picture of it in action at this years OO

Attachments

softek

Likes Dirt
God Dammit SS Rigid, doing 100km and carrying 3 water bottles, that's just to tough bro, how long did it take you mate and what gear ratio did you use bud?
I'm not sure whether it would've been cheaper to buy straight off the rack.

I really enjoyed building my China 29er. Buying parts that I needed, putting everything together and seeing the final result. My build cost around 2k. I've got all the parts I wanted and since the bike has been finished, all I've done, is ride. When you buy off the self, I've always found myself looking for bits to change. Always wanting to personalise my bike. Building from scratch fixed that.:lol:

My bike has done 2 Otway's, enduro's and all my weekly rides. I guess its done 1500-2000k's, and still going strong. I'm thinking about building another one!

Here's a picture of it in action at this years OO

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yeah doing the OO on that is sadistic. Why do you hate yourself so much?

I think doing a Chinese carbon rigid single speed build makes sense. You're not paying for suspension and drivetrain that you don't need. $2k would probably get you a pretty good build.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I'm far from tough, maybe a little crazy. The race took me 8:27. So I'm far from quick!
The gearing on my bike is 33:19, which works for me.