Chinese Carbon 29er

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not so sure if it will come eventually if you read this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/homebrewed-components-694887.html
Not many people are thinking they will see their ring on $$$ ever again, he seems to have gotten worse since the start of the year if that's possible!

I ordered a 31T 104 BCD in April, then stumbled on the thread just after I bought it. Bought a 32T Salsa that came in 7 days from the UK for the time being. Don't have any plans to put the 31T on anymore.

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, i'm in need of some help regarding headset's
Ive got a frame on the way and still need a headset, would the headset off a Giant xtc 29er work?
If not can someone lead me to the correct one, hopefully a online Australian company.

Sweet looking bike, please post up a ride report

am seriously considering one of these as a long term project

Must be very staisfying seeing the end product

Andrew

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Are they Light-bicycle rims? if so, what do you think of them?
I saw one of those rims up close today. It was next to a 'big brand' carbon rim that looked almost exactly the same externally....
The difference was the thickness in the carbon. The Light-bicycle rim was just much thinner. thinner side-walls, thinner inner-bed, and thinner hook.

I would be wary of riding them too hard, but I'm sure its a considered purchase.....

Ivan

Eats Squid
I saw one of those rims up close today. It was next to a 'big brand' carbon rim that looked almost exactly the same externally....
The difference was the thickness in the carbon. The Light-bicycle rim was just much thinner. thinner side-walls, thinner inner-bed, and thinner hook.

I would be wary of riding them too hard, but I'm sure its a considered purchase.....
I wonder why the weights are similar then? Different construction? Different composite? :noidea:

Glen2

Likes Dirt
Are they Light-bicycle rims? if so, what do you think of them?
Yes they are, to be honest i've barely ridden the bike, and not given them a hard time to really test them. My wheel builder was very impressed with how they built up.

There is a 100+ page thread on MTBR with so many of these rims built up, with only about 2 or 3 problems. Initially there was some bead problems, but that has been long fixed.

Since i don;t really use my China29er, i'm looking to sell it-advert about to go up. Will consider parting it out if it doesn't sell complete.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yes they are, to be honest i've barely ridden the bike, and not given them a hard time to really test them. My wheel builder was very impressed with how they built up.

There is a 100+ page thread on MTBR with so many of these rims built up, with only about 2 or 3 problems. Initially there was some bead problems, but that has been long fixed.

Since i don;t really use my China29er, i'm looking to sell it-advert about to go up. Will consider parting it out if it doesn't sell complete.

Glen - may I ask why you are selling your bike after only two months and a week or so with new wheels?
Dont get me wrong - I am the king of impulsive buying/selling - but you havent ridden it.

Glen2

Likes Dirt
Glen - may I ask why you are selling your bike after only two months and a week or so with new wheels?
Dont get me wrong - I am the king of impulsive buying/selling - but you havent ridden it.
Hey John, no problems. Going back 4-6 months when i started collecting parts for this build, i thought this style of bike would be ideal-being a bit more upright than my dedicated road bike. And also thinking i'd have more time to hit the trails. For me to hit the trails requires making time to get there-do the ride and then come home-I'm time poor with 60-70 hours a week at work and 4 kids. So reality is my riding is from home, on the roads between 5am and 630am before work. I rode this on the road twice, and it is not as quick as my road bike (to be expected) and i've since dropped 12kg, which makes my road bike more comfortable again. Hence this has sat there for 2-3 months un used. Figured someone else should make use of it.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey John, no problems. Going back 4-6 months when i started collecting parts for this build, i thought this style of bike would be ideal-being a bit more upright than my dedicated road bike. And also thinking i'd have more time to hit the trails. For me to hit the trails requires making time to get there-do the ride and then come home-I'm time poor with 60-70 hours a week at work and 4 kids. So reality is my riding is from home, on the roads between 5am and 630am before work. I rode this on the road twice, and it is not as quick as my road bike (to be expected) and i've since dropped 12kg, which makes my road bike more comfortable again. Hence this has sat there for 2-3 months un used. Figured someone else should make use of it.
well I can understand that mate (work, kids). Well done on the weight loss - my new endevour too. Just saw you building this up and now selling - no expense spared. You have probably earned your self an upgrade on the road bike - new wheels, bars, tape, etc. Good luck with the sale

Glen2

Likes Dirt

This is now going to be parted out-so if anyone is in the market for a China29er (or any other parts from this build), check out my FS threads.

Beij

Cannon Fodder
New bike

This is the new bike, based on the FM056 with 142x12 rear and Toray T1000 front triangle;

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/beij08/2012-10-19134555.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/beij08/142x2.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/beij08/2012-10-19134520.jpg

Raced at the Surfcoast 12 hour, really noticed the stiffness of the frame compared to my regular FM056, especially steering, felt more precise. Loved the feel overall, I did two laps on my Pivot Mach 4 but was 90 seconds slower per lap. Hongfu have said they will be coming out with an ultralight version that weighs 1050-1100 grms for size 17.5cm but unfortunately they are only selling in batches of 10 for now. My frame weighed 1300grms which my inner weight weenie was a bit disapointed but didn't notice when riding.
Cheers

swanny81

Likes Bikes
IMG_0028.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0038.jpg

Just finished piecing her together today.

Pretty happy so far but can't wait to see what it is like to ride off road on some decent trails.

Summary of build:
Large LTK023 frame in matte 3k finish, Sram XX drivetrain, Sid WC XX fork, Stans Crest wheels, Schwalbe tyres, Syntace bars, Ritchey stem, Thomson post, Avid Elixir R SLC brakes.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Large LTK023 frame in matte 3k finish, Sram XX drivetrain, Sid WC XX fork, Stans Crest wheels, Schwalbe tyres, Syntace bars, Ritchey stem, Thomson post, Avid Elixir R SLC brakes.
Looks great! Great spec list as well.

But you are the first person i have seen who runs a Ron on the back and a Ralph on the Front.

OIL

Likes Dirt
god i love this bike, they are such a sexy looking piece - i'd almost keep the pink grips too...

keep us updated on the ride quality!!! what's the est. $$$ build value??