Chinese Carbon 29er

heineken016

Cannon Fodder
Just checking in to say my LTK is still going strong (built around october last year). Using it everyday as a commuter with slicks, not getting out on the trails as much since moving back from canberra.

I also have a spare crank bros crank race adapter if anyone is looking for one (to be able to use non tapered forks).

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have done 2 rides on the Chi now, the 2nd of which was a 6hr Enduro (cut to 4.5 due to conditions).
More than happy with the build and rapt to finish on the podium on it's 1st race (Masters Cat.)
Last time i rode a SS was December and i have never ridden more than 2hrs SS so i was also happy the legs were up to the challenge. Big wheels and SS certainly were a good choice for a 4hr mud bath.

DSCF0834.JPG

czecharch

Likes Dirt
I have done 2 rides on the Chi now, the 2nd of which was a 6hr Enduro (cut to 4.5 due to conditions).
More than happy with the build and rapt to finish on the podium on it's 1st race (Masters Cat.)
Last time i rode a SS was December and i have never ridden more than 2hrs SS so i was also happy the legs were up to the challenge. Big wheels and SS certainly were a good choice for a 4hr mud bath.

View attachment 236646
Nice work. That's how a bike should look.
I'm most rapt that you spelled rapt properly.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rapt for you and rapt to hear that there is a promoter out there who actually cut a race short due to the conditions (obviously not a QLD promoter). :single_eye:

Glen2

Likes Dirt
My China29er is coming along slowly, waiting on a niner rigid fork to come into stock.

Specs will be
-Niner rigid fork
-1x10
-XTR 985 cranks and pedals
-XTR trail brakes
-Chris king hubs and Light bicycle rims
-Thomson post/stem etc

Will be mainly used as my commuter when i want a change from my roadie.

I do have a set of shimano 29er rims that i was going to use on it, which are for sale here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...TR-disks-Schwalbe-tyres&p=2548346#post2548346 may suit someone else building a china 29er...

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^ Sweet build. One thing:

If you are getting an LTK023 / FR211, the rear wheel does not sit in the middle of the frame, mine is offset about 5mm to the non-drive side. Running 1x10 on a 2x10 crankset using the big ring position made my chainline central to the 7th or 8th cassette cog. I had to run one BB spacer instead of 2 on the Drive side, and buy a 3x Crank and run the single ring of the middle position to bring the chainline back to being ok.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
My China29er is coming along slowly, waiting on a niner rigid fork to come into stock.

Specs will be
-Niner rigid fork
-1x10
-XTR 985 cranks and pedals
-XTR trail brakes
-Chris king hubs and Light bicycle rims
-Thomson post/stem etc

Will be mainly used as my commuter when i want a change from my roadie.

I do have a set of shimano 29er rims that i was going to use on it, which are for sale here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...TR-disks-Schwalbe-tyres&p=2548346#post2548346 may suit someone else building a china 29er...
Bloody impressive spec list for a commuter.

czecharch

Likes Dirt
^^ Sweet build. One thing:

If you are getting an LTK023 / FR211, the rear wheel does not sit in the middle of the frame, mine is offset about 5mm to the non-drive side. Running 1x10 on a 2x10 crankset using the big ring position made my chainline central to the 7th or 8th cassette cog. I had to run one BB spacer instead of 2 on the Drive side, and buy a 3x Crank and run the single ring of the middle position to bring the chainline back to being ok.
I'd suggest that's not so much a frame issue. Rather it's a wheel dish issue.
Take the wheel to a reputable shop to have them re-dish it.
Cheers

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Nice work. That's how a bike should look.
I'm most rapt that you spelled rapt properly.
I have exactly the same frame, I have had it for over 12 months and have just done the first 2 Choc Foot races on it solo. I use Racing Ralph 2.4 tyres nice and soft (the HT for 7+ hours gets a bit tough) and I am leading the Clydesdale class so far. I weigh 105kg - meaniing that the frame gets a hammering, and I tend to crash a bit too.

Having had a 26 and now 29er china hard tail, I really think that they are far stronger than the Easton alloy frame I had previously.

I also like the non branded frame, (political rant coming) I ride for fun - to do stuff with mates... not to wave a flag for company X.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
***Noob Question alert***

These all seem to have tapered headsets.
- Are there any downsides (besides small reduction in rigidity) to running a non tapered 1 1/8" fork?
- Anyone else running a std non tapered 1 1/8" fork? What adapter do you recommend?
- Any other relevant info I need to know regarding tapered headsets?

Thanks

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Running a tapered fork would be easier, but if you have a non tapered one lying around, put it on. (I am running tapered).

If you are running a tapered fork, you can get a headset from the frame supplier. Otherwise you may need to research Cane Creek 40 series headsets and the 110 conversion below...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=8947&MODE=
Thanks, that looks like what I'll need.

I recently picked up a 29er HT cheap, in a frame size that's really too large for me. So my plan is to grab a suitably sized cheap carbon frame and swap basically everything over.

(FWIW, I currently ride a cheap chinese carbon ride bike which I recently built)

OIL

Likes Dirt
Sure Nath, i had to make a few spoke tension adjustments to front wheel anyway....

It was a bit windy outside when i weighed the other day so perhaps that made a difference??
I also just removed a tube from front (before weighing) and both wheels still need stans put in so looks like the final weight will be around 8.2 as c3024446 calculated.
I was not wanting to start a Chi weigh in match, just post up some pics and info on my build, hope you like it.....
I do enjoy a skinny build though so it just may slip under 7kg mark in a few weeks, will keep you posted....

View attachment 236116

i see what's going on here - he chopped the front of his bike off with a hacksaw...;)

Glen2

Likes Dirt
Mine is getting close to being finished :)

Pretty much 1x10 full XTR

Pick up the wheels that i'll actually be running on this tomorrow (carbon rims with Chris King hubs).

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please keep us informed how your chainline is. I am now running a chain catcher on the inside because the chain has slipped off into the inside due to the bad chainline when in the big ring at the back (only once so far). Hopefully this will stop damage to my frame!

OIL

Likes Dirt
burglar

mate, you could go full stealth mode at night on that thing. velly nice fly rice.

Steve_Waters - what's the go with the sale on your banana? noticed you've gone the opposite price direction on eBay??

cheers

Homebrewed components

Has anyone evey had any problems with deliverys from Homebrewed components, I ordered some items for my SS back at the Begining of June & still waiting.

Deano

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone evey had any problems with deliverys from Homebrewed components, I ordered some items for my SS back at the Begining of June & still waiting.

Deano
June this year? You still have a while to wait.

My Dec order arrived Feb or March, it will come eventually.....