Confessions from the fuckwits

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Belated confession - only did the thru axle up finger tight when reassembling the Anthem in Cairns after its plane ride.

Rode a couple of hours at Davies Creek, 3 hours at Atherton (whats that damn creaking noise...?) and 3 hours at Smithfield. Only noticed on third last run at Smithfield the rear wheel was knocking around.

Thought I'd either fucked the drop outs or the hub, but all was well! Phew...

Mental note - tighten the bloody axle!!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's gotta be a touch harder to pedal;)
I tried, then I nearly fell off the bike laughing. Woulda worked if I hadn't switched to flats

Thats a goner. You'll need a new bike now!
Bugger! Whole thing in the bin you reckon?

Happened after a flat landing, I'd been riding a solid 30min before that without a drama. Also managed to finish the ride after straightening it up too, reckon they might still work for a kids bike.

I was tossing up whether to run the 170mm zee or the 175mm xt cranks, guess that's an easier decision now :))

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Belated confession - only did the thru axle up finger tight when reassembling the Anthem in Cairns after its plane ride.

Rode a couple of hours at Davies Creek, 3 hours at Atherton (whats that damn creaking noise...?) and 3 hours at Smithfield. Only noticed on third last run at Smithfield the rear wheel was knocking around.

If that was qr, you'd be posting a hospital pic :p

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt

I had a vaguely similar experience where my rear wheel would come loose predominantly on long descents. I finished a ride early thinking I had a legitimate problem with the back end and then was thinking maybe a hub issue. Took me a number of rides to work out it was my heel undoing my rear axle 1/4 turn........ I now point the rear tightener thing out the back and not towards the front.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That picture above looks like the eyelet goes a bit further than mine, maybe looking for something very specific but it does look like they exist. 5th element is back on for now and it's ridable but I don't think it's going to be quite right for her till I can de-coil it.

Might see what I can do to get a custom linkage made up, I know a couple of clever cookies. Smaller bearings might get it across the line, but a combination of the smaller bearings and offset bushes would definitely do the job.

See how I go with the short shock, nice to know it's an option

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
What eyelet length do you need?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put a thread in the general discussion forum asking for Creaking CSU remedies and then realised there was probably a thousand other topics about the same! Yes, I'm a fuckwit!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I put a thread in the general discussion forum asking for Creaking CSU remedies and then realised there was probably a thousand other topics about the same! Yes, I'm a fuckwit!
At least you can see this...unlike so many others.

New forks are the best remedy.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At least you can see this...unlike so many others.

New forks are the best remedy.
Can see what? That I realised the errors of my ways, or that I'm a fuckwit... or all of the above?

BTW, i tried wd40 at first with the bike upside down. Seemed to improve after a few hours. Pulled out the damper and applied wd40 to the top lip of the stanchion and the creaking had gone. Gave it a clean and have stuck some loctite on.

scblack

Leucocholic
Can see what? That I realised the errors of my ways, or that I'm a fuckwit... or all of the above?

BTW, i tried wd40 at first with the bike upside down. Seemed to improve after a few hours. Pulled out the damper and applied wd40 to the top lip of the stanchion and the creaking had gone. Gave it a clean and have stuck some loctite on.
Make sure you use grease with the Loctite. According to some - that's the way it should be!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

That's the way. Get the joints nice and clean.

You can see that one should search before creating new threads. Good learning.

Make sure you use grease with the Loctite. According to some - that's the way it should be!
But what grease with which loctite? The combinations are endless and all have a different outcomes.

haulrs

Likes Bikes
Confessions from the fuck wits

Very belated fail...

Had a 1997 gt lts 2 ,I had modified with angle grinder an American made lts1 rear end on... (all free i tells you) got it working... rode for couple of months then the lts creak appeared ... looked about had full bearing set for lts1 in box of stuff.. installation was a breeze.. rode bike for four years never a complaint,hard... one day two wheel steering appears... many beers consumed at what was problem,(I was also that guy that may have denied your warranty on a gt for a couple of years too ), cannot find problem .. new commencal meta 55 in 2009 brought... pulled king hubs from lts.. still no idea about wobble ... last night.27/8/2017 removing cranks I found missing nut on lower pivot bearing bolt...geeezzzzzzzzz

Time for a mountain goat cross breed vanilla porter!!!!!

Sent from my 3geesus using Tapatalk( it's ifail)

Edit 1 was how to spell breed
Edited again..cause fukwit didn't proof read
Edit super.........lower pivot bolt loose.....10 years later!

Last edited: