Confessions from the fuckwits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I did exact same thing 5 years ago. Made a good mess of my finger. Have never done it since. Leson learned. Disc always wins
In 1995 I had some gear trouble on a commute bike, the chain dropped from top to middle and was jammed, It happened every now and then, worn chain and I was povo so couldn't afford another. I used to just stop, and pull it out with my right hand while still on straddling the bike, often leaving my left foot clipped in. What could possibly go wrong? This time I stopped, freed the chain but as I was doing it, over balanced slightly, couldn't get my left foot out of the cleat, with my index finger still under the chain, and removed about 3mm from my finger tip. Had to go into a business at the shops near where it happened and get them to call an ambo as I had no other transport option.

I've done a full dismount whenever my chain has been stuck ever since, and am super careful of fingers and the possibility of hurting them with bike maintenance. I still smacked the back of my hand on the disc once pulling the pump head off last year, didn't quite draw blood, also more careful doing that now :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In 1995 I had some gear trouble on a commute bike, the chain dropped from top to middle and was jammed, It happened every now and then, worn chain and I was povo so couldn't afford another. I used to just stop, and pull it out with my right hand while still on straddling the bike, often leaving my left foot clipped in. What could possibly go wrong? This time I stopped, freed the chain but as I was doing it, over balanced slightly, couldn't get my left foot out of the cleat, with my index finger still under the chain, and removed about 3mm from my finger tip. Had to go into a business at the shops near where it happened and get them to call an ambo as I had no other transport option.

I've done a full dismount whenever my chain has been stuck ever since, and am super careful of fingers and the possibility of hurting them with bike maintenance. I still smacked the back of my hand on the disc once pulling the pump head off last year, didn't quite draw blood, also more careful doing that now :)
Had a couple of puncture from the chain ring, but never from a rotor

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

Had a couple of puncture from the chain ring, but never from a rotor
I have also done similar, I had a old fixed pub bike that I neglected intentionally so nobody would want to pinch it but eventually it got to the state where even I couldn't stand the noise so I thought I would at least give the drivetrain a bit love, cleaning years of grime off the chain with a rag soaked in degreaser, spinning the wheel and sure enough the rag catches and drags my hand into the chainring...had a good 4 or 5 filthy puncture holes in between thumb and index finger...much swearing and blood ensued, but it taught me a bloody good lesson.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I hope that lesson was to drink beer before doing something stupid so it both hurts less and gives you an excuse.
I imagine beer wasn't far away if not a contributing factor...still pales in comparison to brake rotor injuries.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have also done similar, I had a old fixed pub bike that I neglected intentionally so nobody would want to pinch it but eventually it got to the state where even I couldn't stand the noise so I thought I would at least give the drivetrain a bit love, cleaning years of grime off the chain with a rag soaked in degreaser, spinning the wheel and sure enough the rag catches and drags my hand into the chainring...had a good 4 or 5 filthy puncture holes in between thumb and index finger...much swearing and blood ensued, but it taught me a bloody good lesson.
When I was a school kid, another kid was pointing to his chain as we were riding along to school and somehow it got caught between the chain and chainring, he let off some very loud screams and unlucky for him it was a coaster type brake, and so I had to rotate the crank to get his finger out. He was very lucky that the chain was overly loose and it didn't completely take the tip of his finger off.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Wife's tyre went flat, about a month ago. Stuck some juice in not knowing it was a no rim strips non tubeless rims and tyres conversion. I think it was sealed with some kind of glue, not any more. My Aldi compressor is also only capable of 50lbs, so basically it just pissed goop out everywhere. Stoked to get the last pair of Joe's strips from MTB Direct on spesh, not even gonna bother trying without them.

takai

Eats Squid
Ordered 12sp XT drivetrain for the new bike build.... didnt read the fine print about Shimano Microspline being a new freehub.

At least i have Pro2 Evo hubs, but i cant find anyone with the Microspline freehub in stock. Getting close to ordering a chinese one from Aliexpress.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Ordered 12sp XT drivetrain for the new bike build.... didnt read the fine print about Shimano Microspline being a new freehub.

At least i have Pro2 Evo hubs, but i cant find anyone with the Microspline freehub in stock. Getting close to ordering a chinese one from Aliexpress.
Great eh. I really wanted to try the 10-45 cassette. Very cheap until you factor in the microspline driver you need too....

takai

Eats Squid
Great eh. I really wanted to try the 10-45 cassette. Very cheap until you factor in the microspline driver you need too....
Yeah. im now debating whether i buy an entirely new Pro4 rear hub in Microspline and keep this Pro2Evo as a spare, or whether i just get a SRAM NX cluster which runs on the HG splines, at a 200g weight penalty.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah. im now debating whether i buy an entirely new Pro4 rear hub in Microspline and keep this Pro2Evo as a spare, or whether i just get a SRAM NX cluster which runs on the HG splines, at a 200g weight penalty.
Isn't it only 100g ish? XT is about 530 and NX is about 615? At 100g grams I'd just go NX