Confessions from the fuckwits

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm overdue an entry here I think.
Having long considered what to do with my Remedy (sell/never ride/endure/enjoy) I decided it's a great bike and at 160mm / 150mm it needed 170mm forks.

Having checked online I understood that the max A2C meant it would work. Lyriks duly ordered and I'm even pondering the 170mm Zeb despite the A2C being 5mm longer and therefore too long, but let's check with Trek.

Trek responds, the MY17 I have had an A2C which translates into, you've guessed it, 160mm. Which is on the bike already. The Lyriks arrive today and it's time to return them for a refund. The MY18 has the 170mm max apparently.

Yes, I could run them just a but softer to increase sag but if anyone is going to ruin a frame and end up in hospital, it's me.
It’s 10mm you’ll be fine. Enjoy the extra squish.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Redemption. After a few emails it seems that 170mm is good. Question is now do I spend extra and wait for the Zeb or live with the Lyrik sat beside me in a box? No riding for the next 3 weeks at least I'd imagine so that's a consideration.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Redemption. After a few emails it seems that 170mm is good. Question is now do I spend extra and wait for the Zeb or live with the Lyrik sat beside me in a box? No riding for the next 3 weeks at least I'd imagine so that's a consideration.
Unless you ride like Connor Fearon I wouldn’t worry about the Zeb and run the Lyric. It’s next to you ready to go!
Get bolted up atleast.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Yes, I could run them just a but softer to increase sag but if anyone is going to ruin a frame and end up in hospital, it's me.
This comes up often and if you do the math, the chances of a 10mm or 20mm longer (A2C) fork causing some sort of catastrophic frame failure is four fifths of fck all. The percentage worse case increase in leverage is say 10mm/A2C of the fork * 100%. For the Lyrik, the A2C might be something like 550mm, so the increased leverage from 550mm to 560mm is 10/560100 = 1.8%. If your frame is within 1.8% of its limits then you need to be riding a different type of frame. In all reality, the difference won't be 10mm because you'll have 30% sag, so the difference is closer to a whopping 1.3%. If you go 20mm more and you'll have to take the risk that a 2.6% increase in leverage will crack the frame...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, the 5yr old in me is already set to open the box and bolt on. And thankfully Trek are cool with it at 170 so no drama. Don't know why I'm so stressed about it as I'm over forked on the hardtail, rides great too.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Drove down to O'Halloran Hill after school drop off, to sample the mint trail conditions. Not a soul in the Carpark. Yessss, I'll get it all to myself. Pull out the bike, set tyre pressures, pad up, camelbak on...... where the fudge is my helmet? Sitting at home with all the other helmets, of course.

I ain't no freek, so drove back home, grabbed it and ducked up the road for a quick lap of Prospect Hill.

Sure as shit, by the time I get back to OHH, the trails will be trashed, and the joint will be heaving.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Drove down to O'Halloran Hill after school drop off, to sample the mint trail conditions. Not a soul in the Carpark. Yessss, I'll get it all to myself. Pull out the bike, set tyre pressures, pad up, camelbak on...... where the fudge is my helmet? Sitting at home with all the other helmets, of course.

I ain't no freek, so drove back home, grabbed it and ducked up the road for a quick lap of Prospect Hill.

Sure as shit, by the time I get back to OHH, the trails will be trashed, and the joint will be heaving.

Bugger. I have felt your pain...except once drove 4h to a race before realising. I now keep a shitty spare helmet and gloves in the under-tray tool box.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Bugger. I have felt your pain...except once drove 4h to a race before realising. I now keep a shitty spare helmet and gloves in the under-tray tool box.
I blame it on my roadie wanker ride, last week. Normally my road helmet lives in the car in case someone needs a spare.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

One of my old crew did similar. Drove 1 hour to trails, no helmet, drove home, returned with helmet, found original helmet under a seat in the van...never trust a man look.