Confessions from the fuckwits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have been building the Mongoose. I got a road cassette. It was for when the Mongoose was an e bike. I thought fuck it I'll put it on. So I spent a good number of minutes trying to screw the lock ring down. It wouldn't bite. It's a Sunrace cassette, i somehow thought the last two cogs coukd have been one piece. Then i dropped them on the floor, and suddenly realised they aren't, and they had stuck together misaligned. I almost tried to obtain another cassette.

I put said cassette on the wheel, then notice the freewheel is silent and I don't think it was like that when I got it so off comes the cassette. Turns out 1997 Truvativ sealex hubs have a stupid freewheel that needs a tool so I fill the bastard with Knox and wait 24 hours and it was clicking again. Grease the bearing I can reach, make Inox/Grease solution to run into cassette, all good.

Then check if I have ok gearing with the 23t cassette, it's worse than my 34/42 1x. Hopefully my mate still has the mtb cassette, no point having a granny gear if it's worse than a tall 1x. Anyone want an 11-23 8sp road cassette?

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
Paging @JEBBS
Don’t be shy. Mi casa su casa.
Ah Moorey, SRAM and standardisation of bottom brackets/ cranksets. Cheap and easy SS build, should be quick and easy.
so far - 2nd hand cranks, then 2nd hand BB, now need chain and grips.
yep, gave myself an uppercut and a slap for not looking harder at the start

slowmick

38-39"
Up at 5:30 for a bike ride before the family wakes up. Full dressed, out the door ready to go. No keys to get in the garage. Or back into the house. Try to break in quietly - no good. Go for a walk to kill time. Bike shoes not great after a while - mucho sore feet. Kill time till 8:30 then call up wife. She hangs up on me 3 times before opening the door. She's not happy. Going to be a long day.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Up at 5:30 for a bike ride before the family wakes up. Full dressed, out the door ready to go. No keys to get in the garage. Or back into the house. Try to break in quietly - no good. Go for a walk to kill time. Bike shoes not great after a while - mucho sore feet. Kill time till 8:30 then call up wife. She hangs up on me 3 times before opening the door. She's not happy. Going to be a long day.
You waited till 8:30 ffs!
No respect, you should fight them. The whole family.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've always got to have a 'break into your own house' option ready to go!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Jesus mate, that’s some serious fear of waking the missus up. I would have been straight onto the door/window at 5:31.

slowmick

38-39"
Jesus mate, that’s some serious fear of waking the missus up. I would have been straight onto the door/window at 5:31.
Yup, big fear. Missus has had a few struggles lately and left me a message at 2:30 that she's was having a crap night. She was snoring when i left for a walk. Seems I disturbed our three year old though and 15 minutes later she had company in bed. It was our daughter hanging up on me as the calls were interrupting her ABC kids...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yup, big fear. Missus has had a few struggles lately and left me a message at 2:30 that she's was having a crap night. She was snoring when i left for a walk. Seems I disturbed our three year old though and 15 minutes later she had company in bed. It was our daughter hanging up on me as the calls were interrupting her ABC kids...
Okay... that's the second time I've had a spectacular case of the giggles tonight.

By Huey, I love this thread...

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Soo, pre-emptive potential fuckwit entry.
My new steed has SRAM Guide R 4pots on it, from factory. To be honest, they remind me a little of my ol' Avid Juicy's, except they permanently feel like they need a bleed, whereas with Avids at least you got a honeymoon period before they needed a bleed again. However, they are 4pot brakes, and do tend to match the 200 front 180 rear in terms of braking capability.
My old faithful steed has a set of Hope X2 2pots, and certainly felt better than the newer SRAMs have ever done. Given my old faithful steed now appears to be a candidate for lesser capable components (along with 3x9 and an inability to fit a dropper with decent drop), should I swap my XC brakes for the supposedly more capable but more suspicion worthy SRAM brakes?
Buying new Hopes is not an option being considered, nor is ignoring all sense and fitting something that uses sewing machine oil as a brake fluid.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm overdue an entry here I think.
Having long considered what to do with my Remedy (sell/never ride/endure/enjoy) I decided it's a great bike and at 160mm / 150mm it needed 170mm forks.

Having checked online I understood that the max A2C meant it would work. Lyriks duly ordered and I'm even pondering the 170mm Zeb despite the A2C being 5mm longer and therefore too long, but let's check with Trek.

Trek responds, the MY17 I have had an A2C which translates into, you've guessed it, 160mm. Which is on the bike already. The Lyriks arrive today and it's time to return them for a refund. The MY18 has the 170mm max apparently.

Yes, I could run them just a but softer to increase sag but if anyone is going to ruin a frame and end up in hospital, it's me.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm overdue an entry here I think.
Having long considered what to do with my Remedy (sell/never ride/endure/enjoy) I decided it's a great bike and at 160mm / 150mm it needed 170mm forks.

Having checked online I understood that the max A2C meant it would work. Lyriks duly ordered and I'm even pondering the 170mm Zeb despite the A2C being 5mm longer and therefore too long, but let's check with Trek.

Trek responds, the MY17 I have had an A2C which translates into, you've guessed it, 160mm. Which is on the bike already. The Lyriks arrive today and it's time to return them for a refund. The MY18 has the 170mm max apparently.

Yes, I could run them just a but softer to increase sag but if anyone is going to ruin a frame and end up in hospital, it's me.
They won't ever know when it happens.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They won't ever know when it happens.
To make matters more confusing, Trek shop says they've spoken to Trek Australia and it's 160mm max.

Trek Australia get in contact with me with a 5.31pm email basically inferring I can go 20mm over original. That's as clear as the exercise in your suburbs guidance from the CHO.

May need to retract my submission. More to follow for sure.