Confessions from the fuckwits

LPG

likes thicc birds
Not quite sure this belongs here as I feel like I took reasonable precautions but the result is the same so here we go.

I bent a spoke and snapped a nipple on Sunday after a thick stick found its way into my rear wheel locking it up at moderate speed. It was early in the ride and put me in a shit mood so I left the others to continue the ride and went back home. I had just fixed a broken spoke a couple weeks back and changed to new tyres and was a bit annoyed that I had to remove the tyres to replace the broken nipple. I also needed to remove the cassette and disc to get a fresh spoke in.

I was mindful that the spoke head was probably in the rim so once the tyre was off I took a piece of timber and knocked on the rim all around listening to hear if it was still in there. It must have found its way out somehow. Once I retaped the rim, reinstalled the tyre and got the tubeless seal right I bounced the wheel a couple times and fuck me if the head of the nipple wasn't rattling around louder than I could have imagined it ever would.

It's still in there. Just rolling the bike across the patio it rattled around as it rolled with the tyre. I have no idea what suddenly dislodged it and why it was stuck before. Looks like I'll be doing the whole process again soon enough...

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Bought a new rack a few weeks ago and forgot to add a locking hitch pin to the order.

No problem, I've seen them everywhere (I say to myself).

Bought one from supercheap. Get home, wrong size (5/8"). Bugger. Oh well, I'll return it and get the 1/2" one...

Returned the next day. No 1/2" in stock.
Go to 4 different auto parts stores in Sunday! None had 1/2" locking pins.

Ordered the 1/2" pin from singletrail this morning online. Price (incl. shipping) is the same as the first 5/8" one I bought from supercheap. Doofus.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Bought a new rack a few weeks ago and forgot to add a locking hitch pin to the order.

Bought one from supercheap. Get home, wrong size (5/8"). Bugger. Oh well, I'll return it and get the 1/2" one...

Ordered the 1/2" pin from singletrail this morning online. Price (incl. shipping) is the same as the first 5/8" one I bought from supercheap. Doofus.
Don't have a 5/8 drill bit in the toolbox?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Hmmmpf. Wasn't an orderable option when I bought mine. And when I made contact to see if I could open the hole up a bit they said just grab one off ebay

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I thought about opening the hole up for sure. But wasn't clear if it would impact the anti wobble mechanism.
Maybe, maybe not... May also void any insurance claim if it got inspected after an incident. If they looked that close.
Often the 'safest' path is to just buy standard and stick to standard, regardless of mechanical soundness. Because lawyers and stuff.
Putting the Singletrail pin in there without written consent from the towbar manufacturer is probably just as bad. Same for mounting the rack in there in the first place, since the towbar was not designed for that specific purpose. All how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go kind of thing.

Last edited:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Since @moorey done a moorey...
I'll run through the 'off the top of my head', 'top level' eng analysis that makes a bunch of assumptions about materials and load cases that I have no interest or time to research properly. Here goes.
Drilling the hole out will do sweet F/A to the bending stiffness of the thing in the vertical plane, which I reckon is the primary load case when used as a trailer hitch. I imagine load capacity in tension/compression would be limited by the shear capacity of the pin rather than tearing the RHS in 2... Depending on wall thickness, bearing area could be an issue, but this would actually be improved by going to 5/8. Side to side bending would be reduced a bit but this is a big second in the trailer hitch load case. Lastly we come to torsion, which is probably negatively affected most by enlarging the hole. Torsional stiffness is likely last on the trailer hitch load priority, but arguably first on the Singletrail list. It also might not be the weakest point in the system for torsion.
Soo, yeah... Woteva. Not like 5/8 is some wild size that has never before been used on a hitch pin. I'd run it, but then again I'm a cowboy mech eng that was raised on a dairy farm... Put a bit of fencing wire and some hay string in there and call it good!

moorey

call me Mia
I'll run through the 'off the top of my head', 'top level' eng analysis that makes a bunch of assumptions about materials and load cases that I have no interest or time to research properly. Here goes.
Drilling the hole out will do sweet F/A to the bending stiffness of the thing in the vertical plane, which I reckon is the primary load case when used as a trailer hitch. I imagine load capacity in tension/compression would be limited by the shear capacity of the pin rather than tearing the RHS in 2... Depending on wall thickness, bearing area could be an issue, but this would actually be improved by going to 5/8. Side to side bending would be reduced a bit but this is a big second in the trailer hitch load case. Lastly we come to torsion, which is probably negatively affected most by enlarging the hole. Torsional stiffness is likely last on the trailer hitch load priority, but arguably first on the Singletrail list. It also might not be the weakest point in the system for torsion.
Soo, yeah... Woteva. Not like 5/8 is some wild size that has never before been used on a hitch pin. I'd run it, but then again I'm a cowboy mech eng that was raised on a dairy farm... Put a bit of fencing wire and some hay string in there and call it good!
Wait..I was just questioning who owns a fancy arse 5/8 bit.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
And you've got it arse-about, my hitch is 5/8, the rack is 1/2. We'd have to enlarge the hole in the rack.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
...or a 16mm if you don't mind going 5 thou over. ;)
I did have to ask Google what 5/8" was in mm after I measured the rack hole. While my calipers have mm and inches, the inches are decimal? Why decimal tenths and thousandths alongside 1/4s, 1/8s an 1/16s!?!

Madness!

Just give me an arbitrarily long french stick made of platinum and divide it into parts that are powers of ten.