Confessions from the fuckwits

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Anyone else broken a bleed cup off in a shimano lever? Hahahahahahahahaha.

I'm always very careful threading it in not too tight but for some reason when I went to remove it last night it just wouldn't unscrew and it sheared off. May have just been a case of cheap Ali plastic over a few uses (maybe the measly 2 mid-strength beers were a factor).

Anyway, because the bleed screw hole is fairly deep and the port is in the side of the hole not the bottom I was able to twist a 4.0mm drill bit through the offending plastic by hand whilst holding the lever upside down (luckily I already had the brakes off the bike as I was replacing the hoses, barbs, olives and nuts). Also, luckily I have a litre of mineral oil too as once I'd fixed the fuck up I flushed a shit load of fluid up from the caliper through the lever.

Time to make an aluminium (or maybe stainless) bleed cup :D
Alloy bleed cups on Ali;

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

I'm always very careful threading it in not too tight but for some reason when I went to remove it last night it just wouldn't unscrew and it sheared off. May have just been a case of cheap Ali plastic over a few uses (maybe the measly 2 mid-strength beers were a factor).

Anyway, because the bleed screw hole is fairly deep and the port is in the side of the hole not the bottom I was able to twist a 4.0mm drill bit through the offending plastic by hand whilst holding the lever upside down (luckily I already had the brakes off the bike as I was replacing the hoses, barbs, olives and nuts). Also, luckily I have a litre of mineral oil too as once I'd fixed the fuck up I flushed a shit load of fluid up from the caliper through the lever.

Love how this story doesn't include "So I'd had a couple of beers and I might've turned the bleed cup the wrong way when trying to undo it...". :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

titanium.