Confessions from the fuckwits

link1896

Mr Greenfield
very easy to check the accuracy of your torque wrench. great wiki here

before doing anything critical (engine building, clamping carbon, etc) I always calibrate.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Torque is also only correct if the threads are greased - must admit, I stopped using mine, I torque to the minimum required to hold something , you get a pretty good feel with a simple Allen wrench and realising that the size of the Allen bolt tells you the approximate torque of the bolt anyway

moorey

call me Mia
Torque is also only correct if the threads are greased - must admit, I stopped using mine, I torque to the minimum required to hold something , you get a pretty good feel with a simple Allen wrench and realising that the size of the Allen bolt tells you the approximate torque of the bolt anyway
This. ^
Its becoming a nanny state, with cotton wool bikes and helicopter owners. I'm aginnit, I tells ya :hand:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I also think the split clamp design of the F109 stem may have contributed to the ease with which the bar was compressed, & I did notice the bar was a very snug fit in the stem side, it almost had to be snapped in place.
The bar always fits snugly into the stem side of a Syntace stem, that's how they're designed and it's really useful in making sure your bar position is right before you snug up the bolts.

Did you equally tension all 4 face plate bolts or snug one side up against the stem?

Sounds like your torque wrench does have issues as Easton Carbon is usually fantastic

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought I was pretty careful with all 4 bolts being equal too, the death crosses were approx midpoint on the face plates which support that, but TBH I didnt recheck when I noticed the marks, I was too busy disassembling with many WTF going through my head.

Still gutted about the whole thing - Idid my best and totally fcked it. At least if I ignorantly fcked it I'd have an excuse. What's worse, I have 3 torque wrenches I use on other things, and this is the first time I have ever used a torque wrench on a bicycle. Coincidental? Nice link to calibrating the wrenches BTW, I'll take a looksy.

Should I bother trying with carbon again? I might stick with alloy, Giant OEM in fact, fark.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha good pickup, in my mind nothing is less than 5nm.

It's this one
https://www.kincrome.com.au/product/MTW200I/micrometer-torque-wrench-1~4-square-drve

"Features:
• Dual scale torque wrench 17.7 - 212.4 Inch-LB, 2.0 - 24.0 Nm"

So 4nm is def on the low side of the range, although it does take a few revs of the handle with some resistance to get the desired setting, so I was comforted by the thought the device was doing some work before putting it to use.

stirk

Burner
Not a confession in the same league of some recent posts but,

The rear tyre got a puncture yesterday but I managed to limp home re inflating tyre every 3 kms so I could repair the inner tube in the comfort of home.

So I repaired the puncture with a stick on patch and re-inflated only to find 5 minutes later it's flat again. On inspection I find another hole near the original that was not there before (on the same side of the rim, not a snake bite pattern), and the patch I installed was broken into 3 pieces like it was mashed between the rim and tyre.

Oh well, I need to learn how to replace inner tubes properly!

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I didn't think of that being a reason to post here!

I fear if I try to go tubeless there would be many more entries from me....
Do it. You will sit there afterwards and ask why you didn't do it previously. My first attempt at tubeless conversion (using a Joe's kit) took me less time than changing a tube.. seriously. Didnt even fuck it up!