COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It has been helpful, but other than the Melbourne fiasco + (brief) northern beaches incident...the whole of Australia has fared pretty well. I don't think their "fuck off we're closed!" approach has really been that necessary or beneficial. The eastern seaboard hasn't really gone to shit over the last year while mostly remaining open to each other.
I generally agree although you are overlooking the fact it's an election year and it makes everyone feel safer ;)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I have long thought that we do need tighter boarder security, but not to prevent refugees from getting here. No we need it to stop Australians ruining the rest of the world. Im not saying they can't leave the country for holidays, but a simple questionaire on the ay through customs to make sure the intended departee isn't a dickhead and doesn't intend to poorly represent us as they puke their way across Europe should suffice. If they fail the test their holiday is just rerouted to Bali. Unfortunately we have trashed that place pretty hard already. Our government could enter into a deal with the Indonesian government to repute the revenue to fight wage exploitation and poverty while we are at it.
You’ve never puked your way across Europe?

Germany needs to implement something similar regarding poolside chair claiming etiquette.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It has been helpful, but other than the Melbourne fiasco + (brief) northern beaches incident...the whole of Australia has fared pretty well. I don't think their "fuck off we're closed!" approach has really been that necessary or beneficial. The eastern seaboard hasn't really gone to shit over the last year while mostly remaining open to each other.
Yes. But like NZ he had a unique, in this country, opportunity to eradicate rather than just suppress. It doesn’t matter what I think, but I can completely see why he went that way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I generally agree although you are overlooking the fact it's an election year and it makes everyone feel safer ;)
It definitely makes for a good bit of chest beating. Look how strong I was/am/are on the face of such national pressures! Similar was done on the east as well, erroneous self confidence is not uncommon.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes. But like NZ he had a unique, in this country, opportunity to eradicate rather than just suppress. It doesn’t matter what I think, but I can completely see why he went that way.
And they still ended up in a lock down.

Tasmania, south Australia, even the northern territory to a degree had the chance.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And they still ended up in a lock down.

Tasmania, south Australia, even the northern territory to a degree had the chance.
Isolating it to areas just makes sense I think, it was the hard border under any circumstances that got taken too far. For a long time SA, NT and Tas also had no cases like WA but there was still the hard border that was just illogical IMHO

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isolating it to areas just makes sense I think, it was the hard border under any circumstances that got taken too far. For a long time SA, NT and Tas also had no cases like WA but there was still the hard border that was just illogical IMHO
A personal example of how dumb it is IMHO. My Mum has been visiting my sister in Vic. Her Mum just passed away in the UK, because Vic had 1 case in Hotel quarantine worker now she can't watch the funeral online with us she would have to do it at home by herself, so she is trying to stay in Vic a bit long so she can be with my sister. The other states did put up the shutters to us when we had the same scenario but have since dropped it when obvious it's not spread but we will stubbornly stick to the 28 day thing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see it as excessive and likely driven by (as you mentioned) political point scoring. I don't object too much to the initial month or two of getting a border stiffy, this time last year it was a totally new thing. But to continue it as long and hard as it has does not seem to be necessary or wise.

And sorry to hear about your specific situation. Loosing family and friends isn't good at the best of times, these extra complications just make it worse.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So it will be 6 years till 75% of the world gets a vaccination for Covid-19.

They believe that 90% of a nation needs vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

Also said that we should get ready for the next pandemic :oops:

I know yous lot like certain sources but I don't watch much TV or read news, its usually a google ad that provides me with news so a snippet gives me food for thought.

Batten down the hatches, world travel is fucked for the foreseeable future.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Aye.

Read this entire story for the full we're fucked experience:

And constant, repeated inoculations until when??? What if you are inoculated and months later they realise that was a waste of time & they need to reinoculate?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So it will be 6 years till 75% of the world gets a vaccination for Covid-19.

They believe that 90% of a nation needs vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

Also said that we should get ready for the next pandemic :oops:

I know yous lot like certain sources but I don't watch much TV or read news, its usually a google ad that provides me with news so a snippet gives me food for thought.

Batten down the hatches, world travel is fucked for the foreseeable future.
...and maybe by then we might be having honest discussions about the environmental impacts.

ozzybmx

Aye.

Read this entire story for the full we're fucked experience:
South Australia on Wednesday afternoon suggested it would close its border to greater Melbourne from midnight with a lockout imposed for anyone who is not a returning resident, moving to the state, or otherwise exempt.
The old cat and mouse game every time a few cases pop up is really stifling the movement of people, its a lottery even thinking about booking an interstate trip.

Cant see this easing anytime soon :(

ozzybmx

I can live without international travel.
Me too but my whole family lives in N Ireland, I explained to them that I will come and visit on my own when I can leave and return to Australia without any delays or bullshit.
Can't see that happening anytime soon... my parents are in their 70's with deteriorating health and travel over here is now too much for them, I really believe it will be 3-5yrs before we can travel without any nonsense, that if we don't have a new Covid-22.

I brought them over about 18months ago as I couldn't be arsed going back to Ireland, my missus loves it but I lived there for 30yrs.

If it wasn't for family overseas, I'd 100% happy to never leave Australia ever again... maybe a trip or two to NZ would be nice but if not possible, no big deal.