COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don’t actually think PPE is the issue here it’s just been used as an example, it’s the pivot the company made under directive of the ccp while we are all in crisis.
Let's just hope they don't pivot on dairy or mining. I like my electricity and milk too much!

Newcastle harbour looks and souns as busy as usual, so they haven't pivoted there.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Can you cite some examples?
I've been told we are not allowed to travel to Taiwan on gov passports but need to use our personal ones. This is incase we need to use our gov passport for China. Just one example, plenty in the business arena such as Qantas removing Taiwan as a country from their online booking system.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've been told we are not allowed to travel to Taiwan on gov passports but need to use our personal ones. This is incase we need to use our gov passport for China. Just one example, plenty in the business arena such as Qantas removing Taiwan as a country from their online booking system.
The Qantas thing is not exactly a 'we' as in Australia thing though. That's a private company wossing out to economic coercion (as have many, many companies around the world). Regards the passport thing, it's interesting as traveling on official passports might be seen as official recognition, I guess. I'll ask if there have been similar experiences on my end. Although, I still wouldn't put that in the same basket as what WHO has done over the last couple of months.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The Qantas thing is not exactly a 'we' as in Australia thing though. That's a private company wossing out to economic coercion (as have many, many companies around the world). Regards the passport thing, it's interesting as traveling on official passports might be seen as official recognition, I guess. I'll ask if there have been similar experiences on my end. Although, I still wouldn't put that in the same basket as what WHO has done over the last couple of months.
Its the same basket id say. Its a big basket...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Agree WHO is a bigger issue but while all major Western countries tow the line diplomatically then it's agreement through inaction. I'm surprised everyone is so surprised about this they kidnapped the head of Interpol last year and no one did a thing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agree WHO is a bigger issue but while all major Western countries tow the line diplomatically then it's agreement through inaction. I'm surprised everyone is so surprised about this they kidnapped the head of Interpol last year and no one did a thing.

Agree on many points. China is really the gangster of geopolitics, makes DPRK look like a two-bit street thug.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Agree on many points. China is really the gangster of geopolitics, makes DPRK look like a two-bit street thug.
They may not engineered it, but they sure will take advantage of all this...

The other downside is that is gives Trump plausible deniability for the ultimate demise of the US. Would have been nicer for a clearer link to his work.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
President Donald Trump is extending the voluntary national shutdown for a month as sickness and death from the coronavirus pandemic rises in the US.

The initial 15-day period of social distancing urged by the US Government was due to expire Monday (local time), but will now be extended until April 30.

It comes as the US Government's top infectious diseases expert warns deaths from coronavirus in the country could reach 200,000, with millions of people infected.
He's a man of his word, that's for sure.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's just hope they don't pivot on dairy or mining. I like my electricity and milk too much!

Newcastle harbour looks and souns as busy as usual, so they haven't pivoted there.
Yep nothing to worry about if things go pair shaped with our biggest trading partner..
60% owned by state controlled ccp. Go australia..

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Everyone seems to forget a huge part of our dairy industry was sold to NZ interests years ago. Now that it's China buying (and quite often from the NZ interests so not really Aussie companies) it's a big uproar, why is that?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
People are also unaware of how much of 'Australia's assets' are owned by the USA, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland, UAE, etc.

However, in saying that, these countries aren't as well known as China is for economic coercion and SOEs that work for strategic purpose.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any reason why that can't be nationalised if things go pear shaped with China?
Probably and how would that go down if there is tensions? I was wondering if we started taking back ownership of any foreign owned infrastructure whether the protections were in place to do that when the deal was signed?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People are also unaware of how much of 'Australia's assets' are owned by the USA, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland, UAE, etc.

However, in saying that, these countries aren't as well known as China is for economic coercion and SOEs that work for strategic purpose.
Are our assests owned by foreign goverments via private businesses like China?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Any reason why that can't be nationalised if things go pear shaped with China?
Muscle?

Everyone seems to forget a huge part of our dairy industry was sold to NZ interests years ago. Now that it's China buying (and quite often from the NZ interests so not really Aussie companies) it's a big uproar, why is that?
Because we don't export much dairy to NZ. We like to hold old cliches about it farmers and when those are challenged...is scary.

But imagine if it was the mega Chinese dairy company that downed tools to gather medical supplies, leaving grocery refrigerators empty? Or they were instructed to process their produce for export rather than domestic market? Sure it would eventually come to a he and be resolved in some way, perhaps even nationalisation of the industry.

Or if the world's busiest coal port was instructed to close to all ships not moving cargo to China? Or to boycott ships going to perhaps Japan Korea or Taiwan? Or it was found to be a gateway for Chinese operatives or narcotics coming into Australia and smuggling of dissidents back to China?

Such things may never happen.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Probably and how would that go down if there is tensions? I was wondering if we started taking back ownership of any foreign owned infrastructure whether the protections were in place to do that when the deal was signed?
I'd imagine it would be similar to nationalising the copper mines or telephone company...

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
The Indian approach maybe ? ;) But seriously people are taking the lockdown as a joke in my area, playing volleyball and house parties.

i worked with an ex post indian—he said that’s the std police approach to any incident, hit everyone involved with a stick, once subdued then you start asking questions what happened...and work out who’s going to kick in for the bride so no charges have to be laid

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Muscle?

Because we don't export much dairy to NZ. We like to hold old cliches about it farmers and when those are challenged...is scary.

But imagine if it was the mega Chinese dairy company that downed tools to gather medical supplies, leaving grocery refrigerators empty? Or they were instructed to process their produce for export rather than domestic market? Sure it would eventually come to a he and be resolved in some way, perhaps even nationalisation of the industry.

Or if the world's busiest coal port was instructed to close to all ships not moving cargo to China? Or to boycott ships going to perhaps Japan Korea or Taiwan? Or it was found to be a gateway for Chinese operatives or narcotics coming into Australia and smuggling of dissidents back to China?

Such things may never happen.
But on that thread what would make an NZ company keep producing milk for the Aus market? The company is offered a higher price for export rather than local supply and they would take it. A company doesn't need to be owned by a government to be influenced by one, in some ways it's easier without gov ownership. Corporate laws dictate the company must do what's in the best interests of shareholders and if a foreign gov is offering a higher price then they can justify sending it.

There is no black and white it's all grey and dodgy but we all need to remember, it's not Us vs China or NZ or any other country.

It's Us vs the wealthy who want to keep their billions while trickle feeding us our stimulus cheques without giving up a cent of what they were given (they will say earned but there is no way you can work hard enough for a billion dollars).