DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just taking the piss, him being a sore loser and all...
Gotcha. :llama:

I like Gee. I've been around the guy for a few hours riding on a non race weekend and he was nothing but fun times. He cops a bit of shit which comes from the band wagon I reckon; many people put together an image of him based on the dribble other people talk.

indica

Serial flasher
many people put together an image of him based on the dribble other people talk.
I just base it on what I have seen of him regarding interviews and races, he appears to display particularly poor attitude.

Irrelevant really.

Good to see a proper big and nasty track used for a champs.

I wonder if Sam will keep going or chuck it?
Pity Ragot was broken, she would have bee good to see on this one.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I just base it on what I have seen of him regarding interviews and races, he appears to display particularly poor attitude.

Irrelevant really.

Good to see a proper big and nasty track used for a champs.

I wonder if Sam will keep going or chuck it?
Pity Ragot was broken, she would have bee good to see on this one.
One bad season of injuries isn't enough for him to leave, read interviews and it comes across as he enjoys just riding a bike as much as racing, he's just another bloke loving bikes. Why leave the world level to keep riding at home anyway. He'll be back next year, just praying that crash didn't do his shoulder in again.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
One bad season of injuries isn't enough for him to leave, read interviews and it comes across as he enjoys just riding a bike as much as racing, he's just another bloke loving bikes. Why leave the world level to keep riding at home anyway. He'll be back next year, just praying that crash didn't do his shoulder in again.

He looked fine, just an ejection into the nets. Going by recent interviews, he's hungry to come back next year and have at it.

indica

Serial flasher
Just watched a few again. How was Mick's exit from that last corner? Almost jumped across the finish line.
Troy looked like he was going to suck into the crowd off that last jump.

And props to Loic, everyone jumped on him, even that mad blonde woman from the Syndicate team.

Mental.

ajay

Just watched a few again. How was Mick's exit from that last corner? Almost jumped across the finish line.
Troy looked like he was going to suck into the crowd off that last jump.

And props to Loic, everyone jumped on him, even that mad blonde woman from the Syndicate team.

Mental.

Haha yeah there was some mega loose entries/exits into the finishing area. There was a girl early on in the piece that hit it flat out with no feet, had massive over-steer moment in the berm and somehow kept it upright! :hail:

dh1

Likes Dirt
I thought I saw Gee bleeding through his shirt just under his left arm pit when he was in the finish area straight after his run

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Definitely had a little patch on his elbow.

Was a pretty hard off that he had, made worse that he wasn't expecting it. I had a night time pedal clip a few months back, rib busted in 3 places. One minute upright and powering on, next minute on my back going "PHOOOooooooo....... fuck". They hurt.

indica

Serial flasher
Gee's crash.

[video=youtube;59y7qwGB0ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=194&v=59y7qwGB0ao[/video]

Ouch.

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
And PFP as well - yes it's XC, but she's current world champ in three different disciplines at the same time.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am I not alone finding it hard to rate Gwin as a top rider/complete champion? Sure he smashes it in World Cups but can't deliver at World Champs time!

Bruni deserved to win! Really good World Cup season with wins beckoning but I'm sure he'd rank the World Champs win as more important overall! I reckon the confidence will do him good and he'll go on with it!

Wyn and Eddie Masters crack me up, both mucking around at the start gate before each of their runs!

Beej1

Am I not alone finding it hard to rate Gwin as a top rider/complete champion? Sure he smashes it in World Cups but can't deliver at World Champs time!
Depends on your view I guess.

The way I look at it, the difference between a World Cup round, and the World Championships, is fuck all.

Same track (with a little maintenance work). Same bike (with different paint). Unless things have changed since Canberra, they mostly hang out with their professional teammates as opposed to fellow country-folk.

The only difference seems to be a different country-themed outfit on race day, and the added hype that it's supposedly more important than a season's worth of consistent performance.

Having said all that, if DH made it into the Olympics, that'd totally be more important. Because Olympics.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Having said all that, if DH made it into the Olympics, that'd totally be more important. Because Olympics.
Given that sports funding in Australia is driven by the likelihood of future gold medals, you are correct - it would be a shitload more important, because currently MTB gets the least funding of any type of cycling due to there only being two medals on offer, as opposed to 4 in road, two in BMX which we have a really good chance at winning, and 50 billion in track.

Plus, you're world cup leader for a race, world champion for a year, and Olympic champion for four years. Most riders would be lucky to be selected, let alone relevant at two Olympics.

scblack

Leucocholic
I think very similar to you. Gwin has an ability to win World Cups and is an amazing rider no doubt. But in the full on pressure of the biggest race of the year he has consistently crashed out.

Sam Hill, Greg Minnaar and Gee Atherton have each won world cups but also World Championships multiple times. I'd say they each have an ability to raise the level of their riding beyond World Cup standards - possibly Gwin is peaking his standard at the World Cups and overstretching for World Championships.

I had a conversation with a pommie mate a few years back, which is on the same theme. In English soccer they do not have grand finals, or at least didn't when he was over there. He felt the best side possible was the one who topped the table at the end of the season, like the Minor Premiership. In Australia we've always had the finals series culminating in the Grand Final, and the winner on the day is the real Premiers. My argument was that the best side had the ability on the day of the Grand Final to lift their game for the biggest win of the year. As is always analysed, Grand Final football is different to the grind of standard round games.

Gwin has failed to lift his game that way, and I agree with you Richie. Gwin has (so far) not managed that top step.

ajay

Jeez that's a long bow to draw... just because he hasn't won a world champs race doesn't mean much. Peaty was a hero long before he won worlds. Sounds like yet another attempt to strip credibility from Gwin.