DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

Beej1

Almost looks like Gwin goes under the tape in that last turn. So, so much faster than every other rider there.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Seems we don't get to see the most important part of the track, given the way times alter from the first to the second split.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
That was amazing. How was Gwins final turn!!??

Cheer up Johnny, rewind to free caster when there was about 3 cameras. Now we've got cable lines, a dozen cameras and awesome streaming. Can't have it all;) the organisers weren't to know where Gwin was going to put 5 secs into everyone.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't even count how many cameras were on track. Great coverage compared to courses like Fort Williams (3 mins of nothing).

I think it'll remain a mystery as to how Gwin put that much time into everyone.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Kind of boring race with Gwinn smashing it straight away. You'd think they would show his run at the start. The speed he carried and line choice was on another planet. I can safely say I procore lost some buyers after Nekos massive blow out. Ratboy was definitely holding back. I shed a tear for Connnor. Will someone please take him under their wing and give him the support he deserves. Can't wait for the next race.

heavyp

You heard it here first
It pains me to say but I don't even think Sam would have beat Gwin's time, looks like he has pulled something very special out of the bag for this one.

Sam would of been second thou, stoked to see Jones get on the podium, looks like living with Sam for 2 months has paid off.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, the coverage was good compared to other tracks but I want more more MORE!!

Agree it was a bit anti-climactic with such a massive lead by Gwin for the whole field, his line on the last corner was nuts.

Track certainly lived up to expectations in claiming many victims, unlucky for Tracey, great that she still made it on the podium.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Can't even count how many cameras were on track. Great coverage compared to courses like Fort Williams (3 mins of nothing).

I think it'll remain a mystery as to how Gwin put that much time into everyone.
14 including the guy in the finish bowl. From memory Cairns had 7 or 8. They were lucky that the trees were thin enough that each camera could pick up / follow riders for a good distance in most cases.

But would still like to know what magic Gwin did in what Warner said was a relatively short section. Maybe every rider should be made to wear a go pro and give footage to RedBull media. Sure the UCI will be all over that idea......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep, I reckon so much could be done in terms of coverage to increase mainstream interest in the sport (which means greater advertising dollars and more money in to the sport, etc.) that does not require a leap in technology. It may not be possible to always live stream it all but for race reviews and delayed coverage it would be spectacular and attention grabbing.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Gwins run was fucking insane.

How he managed to make that time in that section where NO ONE else could, but yeah agree, it did make it kinda anti climatic, kinda like the F1 race in Melbourne.

Also, did anyone notice how they were starting the feed differently compared to last season?

They did their usual re-cap of last season, but Claudio (SP) was with Warner at the finish line talking about the bikes and suspension and shit and Warner also seemed like he has toned down a bit too compared to last season, seems to me like they are trying to put the feed in a way where it could get more people watching it who might not necessarily be into the sport very much.

But coverage I felt was pretty good, definitely better when compared to the free caster days, and the feed, apart from some hiccups at the start and near the top 10 or so men, it ran pretty well and I was streaming it in HD.

scblack

Leucocholic
They did their usual re-cap of last season, but Claudio (SP) was with Warner at the finish line talking about the bikes and suspension and shit and Warner also seemed like he has toned down a bit too compared to last season, seems to me like they are trying to put the feed in a way where it could get more people watching it who might not necessarily be into the sport very much.
They've stepped up the professionalism of commentary quite a bit. Warner has done plenty of coaching in how to commentate, and they have enforced him not being able to drink during coverage. To the extent of searching the commentary box, and confiscating any beers in there.

Forget where I read that, Warner himself admits his commentary has improved without drinking.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
They've stepped up the professionalism of commentary quite a bit. Warner has done plenty of coaching in how to commentate, and they have enforced him not being able to drink during coverage. To the extent of searching the commentary box, and confiscating any beers in there.

Forget where I read that, Warner himself admits his commentary has improved without drinking.
I noticed it too.

Actually, aside from the racing, and the coverage, the commentary was one major improvement I noticed.

Here's hoping we can give this sport more of a mature look at World level events to hopefully entice new people to the sport.

As much as I enjoyed warners antics when he drinks, It is a lot better now and hopefully this makes the sport look better and gets it more attention, because I think with all the antics that wanrer did during commentary might have made the sport look a bit un-professional.

We'll see what happens but so far I am impressed with the changes re commentary.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Gwins run was fucking insane.

How he managed to make that time in that section where NO ONE else could, but yeah agree, it did make it kinda anti climatic, kinda like the F1 race in Melbourne.
I think, a fast run like that from Gwins at the beginning out psyched a lot of players mentally. The track looked pretty awesome as it became more and more blown out, it showed how hard it was to ride, many spectacular crashes through out the event and tyre blow outs.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Massive shame for trace. The men's result sheet was great, so many more riders and different names in the mix. Bring on the next race.

Last edited:

cmrickards

Cannon Fodder
One of the best courses in years. Very refreshing to see to see a real course with lots of technical natural features instead of another flow trail. Shame Sam was out. He may have challenged Gwin's run. Thought the coverage was excellent except for the parts where Claudio was commenting about his team.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Proof too that air springs have come a very, very long way if you can win on one over a course like that!!