DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed it too.

Actually, aside from the racing, and the coverage, the commentary was one major improvement I noticed.

Here's hoping we can give this sport more of a mature look at World level events to hopefully entice new people to the sport.

As much as I enjoyed warners antics when he drinks, It is a lot better now and hopefully this makes the sport look better and gets it more attention, because I think with all the antics that wanrer did during commentary might have made the sport look a bit un-professional.

We'll see what happens but so far I am impressed with the changes re commentary.
I couldn't disagree more.

Well, yeah maybe it's more professional, but it was amazingly repetitive and offered very little insight into what was actually happening and especially into what had happened regarding previous fast riders. Hart and gwin were on the box forever and already had been when the coverage started, but it was barely even touched upon.

Yes, professionalism is great for the sport, but it was a real downer for me this round. Maybe they as well as everyone else were feeding off the anticlimactic nature of the race, but professionals will always find a way to engage the audience, this didn't occur for me.

Spoken as a fully qualified, professional arm chair expert.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We're we watching the same coverage?!

Every run that was made was compared to Gwin's with comments such as "it's illustrative of just how fast Gwin was that we think a run that is 5 seconds off the pace is fast!" Or "I rwally wish we could see what it was that made Gwin so fast in that first section as that's where everyone loses speed compared to Aaron's time".

Every run I watched heard something about the folk already on the box.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We're we watching the same coverage?!

Every run that was made was compared to Gwin's with comments such as "it's illustrative of just how fast Gwin was that we think a run that is 5 seconds off the pace is fast!" Or "I rwally wish we could see what it was that made Gwin so fast in that first section as that's where everyone loses speed compared to Aaron's time".

Every run I watched heard something about the folk already on the box.
Pretty sure we were.

I get what you're saying, but how many times can you say the same thing over and over and it constitutes good coverage/commentary?

Look, I really hate to shit can something that i'm paying absolutely nothing for, i'm extremely grateful. I just feel that Warner and co have been dummed down too much.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, that's not an unfair thing to say. I found it a bit more tailored than normal but much less fun than previous.

I found it ludicrous that we had TWO partial track previews instead of just a single, full run through. How the hell did that make any sense?!

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Maybe it was a bit toned down too much, they could probably crack a few jokes and talk more about the previous runs that we missed.

However, for the sport it is good if they tone down on the antics over other years to give the sport a better look and maybe garner viewers who normally wouldn't be into the sport.

Re coverage; I think it was pretty decent giving we aren't paying squat for it, I think it's unfair to slag something YOU are getting for free, had they being charging to cover the event, I'd have expected them to cover the whole track, yes there were gaps in the coverage, but what they did show was decent enough, it wasn't like Cairns which I thought they could have covered better, but in when it comes down it, this is FREE and we're not paying for it.

Oh, and yeah Johnny, I agree, that track preview was stupid, would prefer it have being a full cover of the track like they have previously done.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Wish we could have seen what went down for Gwin between the first and second splits, he must have been trucking. Such a punishing course on the bikes and riders, there'll be some banged up people today and the mechanics would have earned their keep.

I too thought Warner was toned down a bit too much but here's hoping that Redbull are looking for greater market penetration of what I think is the best form of cycling in the world. I'm also hoping they return at least to the 30 rider format for the Fort Bill race, in eight weeks we'll find out.

How crazy was Greg Williamson's cartwheeling, farking crazy!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah Warner definitely sounded restrained. Its totally understandable though that redbull have tamed him somewhat. I remember him calling a race back on free caster - "he wants it more than an out of work rapist!". A little over the top. ..
Though when I heard Claudio was joining in the commentary, I was hoping for some wholesome silly banter. Anyway, despite that flat commentary, there's not a lot to dislike about that race!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
He's provided much humour over the years. It was also a classic on Freecaster when he was urinating out of the commentary box door while still commentating the race over his shoulder.

Beej1

Interesting views on the commentary. Obviously it's hard to suit everyone's taste.

I had the Paris Roubaix on in the background while I waited for Lourdes coverage to begin. It reminded me of a few years ago watching a WC round on Freecaster while (I think) the TDF was on in the background then too. I'm not a roadie, but I appreciate the tour events and I love listening to people who know their shit. The contrast back then between Liggett & Sherwen, and Warner's antics, was stark. I remember thinking how great it would be if Warner could be himself, but just say more interesting shit about the race, the racers, the track, the tech, and maybe get just a tiny bit less excited.

Last night, the two commentaries together were much closer in style, and this boring old fart really liked it. Absolutely room for improvement. But a big step in the right direction. These riders are professional athletes (and privateers). They put it on the line big time each race with dire consequences when mistakes occur. They deserve professional coverage ... as opposed to: "he's going like a dog with two dicks!!". Yeah, maybe slightly more 'hip-rad-cool' because it's not the uber-old establishment of road cycling. But professional nonetheless.

If they had the funding to make it a several hour coverage like a tour stage, then the info pieces would def work. But for the limited amount of time they provide, I'd prefer just race call and interviews. A lot of folk, in this sport where nearly everything is online, would watch the red bull content online during the lead-up to the weekend's racing. No need to repeat it.

And finally, I liked Claudio's input, but i reckon team managers shouldn't commentate. He was impartial, but I don't think it makes for good commentary to listen to a guy's weekend fall apart like a busted wheel. Just get the same 2 folk with no vested interest to do it each week. I like Richard Cunnyngham for co-host.

Last edited:

ajay

Interesting views on the commentary. Obviously it's hard to suit everyone's taste.

I had the Paris Roubaix on in the background while I waited for Lourdes coverage to begin. It reminded me of a few years ago watching a WC round on Freecaster while (I think) the TDF was on in the background then too. I'm not a roadie, but I appreciate the tour events and I love listening to people who know their shit. The contrast back then between Liggett & Sherwen, and Warner's antics, was stark. I remember thinking how great it would be if Warner could be himself, but just say more interesting shit about the race, the racers, the track, the tech, and maybe get just a tiny bit less excited.

Last night, the two commentaries together were much closer in style, and this boring old fart really liked it. Absolutely room for improvement. But a big step in the right direction. These riders are professional athletes (and privateers). They put it on the line big time each race with dire consequences when mistakes occur. They deserve professional coverage ... as opposed to: "he's going like a dog with two dicks!!". Yeah, maybe slightly more 'hip-rad-cool' because it's not the uber-old establishment of road cycling. But professional nonetheless.

If they had the funding to make it a several hour coverage like a tour stage, then the info pieces would def work. But for the limited amount of time they provide, I'd prefer just race call and interviews. A lot of folk, in this support where nearly everything is online, would watch the red bull content online during the lead-up to the weekend's racing. No need to repeat it.

And finally, I liked Claudio's input, but i reckon team managers shouldn't commentate. He was impartial, but I don't think it makes for good commentary to listen to a guy's weekend fall apart like a busted wheel. Just get the same 2 folk with no vested interest to do it each week. I like Richard Cunnyngham for co-host.

Agree with you 100%.

Re team managers, I think Claudio spoke pretty well too, and kept the team props to a minimum, unlike Nigel Page who seemed to use his commentary position unapologetically as an advertising platform.

I'm nit-picking about the flat commentary though, it was pretty solid, I was just expecting - for better or worse - a more playful style with Claudio in the mix.

Bring on Fort Bill!

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Really find it hard reading comments like Skydome's re the commentary about professionalism and attracting people to the sport etc. Just who exactly are you trying to entice into DH??? The folks down at your local golf club? When you look at the history of it and the riders who have made it what it is, it has fortunately created it's own culture, that should be encouraged. Given the nature of ragging a bike a fast as you can down a hill, I feel the commentary should be a little rowdy. Why would you want DH to be like other professional sports which all seem to be lacking in personality? DH should continue to forge it's own path as it has been doing quite successfully and not be worried about producing something that appeals to everyone because not everyone is ever going to want to ride it anyway or even really understand the appeal. The types of people who will get into the sport are going to be far more inspired by seeing a guy like Bryceland kill it whilst being spurred on by colourful commentary and bar-less chainsaws, all the while increasing the 'Whoa! What the hell is this sport!' to those who stumble upon it.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Connor fearon had a pic up on his instagram of a carbon operator (with no graphics) and #650 in the description... since been taken down.

Also who are everyone's 'sleeper' pic for this first race... i.e. someone who is going to have a breakout performance which is above what they have previously achieved... I'm thinking Mike Jones
Nailed it

10char

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Gwin to do the unthinkable and win every round this season! Nah, that's pretty unlikely but I'd happily wager on 4/7.

ajay

Gwin to do the unthinkable and win every round this season! Nah, that's pretty unlikely but I'd happily wager on 4/7.
He's in ominous form, and a few poor results, dns/dnf in the first round, the overall will be well within his grasp.

I hope Loic and Gwin take it all the way to the last round.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Really find it hard reading comments like Skydome's re the commentary about professionalism and attracting people to the sport etc. Just who exactly are you trying to entice into DH??? The folks down at your local golf club? When you look at the history of it and the riders who have made it what it is, it has fortunately created it's own culture, that should be encouraged. Given the nature of ragging a bike a fast as you can down a hill, I feel the commentary should be a little rowdy. Why would you want DH to be like other professional sports which all seem to be lacking in personality? DH should continue to forge it's own path as it has been doing quite successfully and not be worried about producing something that appeals to everyone because not everyone is ever going to want to ride it anyway or even really understand the appeal. The types of people who will get into the sport are going to be far more inspired by seeing a guy like Bryceland kill it whilst being spurred on by colourful commentary and bar-less chainsaws, all the while increasing the 'Whoa! What the hell is this sport!' to those who stumble upon it.
By appealing to a wider viewing demographic there is a better chance of getting advertising from larger mainstream companies that can put more money into a better event and better coverage. It is more than just appealing to those who may get into the sport. I am never going to get into Supercross, V8s or F1 but happily pay my Foxtel fees so that I can watch good coverage of the sport as entertainment. As much as I love the Warner of old for the WC coverage to grow, he has had to step it back a bit. As for the bike check. I think it is a good thing in Rd 1 to help educate those new veiwers as long as this progresses each round to cover other elements it will be good to show a bit more behind the scenes stuff.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
i noticed that on the highlights package released after the race there was a lot more angle choice and moving cams, booms, dolly's etc being used. it's a shame that can't be worked into the live coverage because it really adds to visual aspect of it.

as for the course preview, it was already done in full length by claudio a couple of days before the race, unless it's something more your after? maybe some on the course previews where a commentator is at a feature like that big rock huck and goes over it with a rider and shows you just how big or hard a feature is.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By appealing to a wider viewing demographic there is a better chance of getting advertising from larger mainstream companies that can put more money into a better event and better coverage.
This is exactly what has doomed every sport that it's happened too. Once you get companies that are willing to put big dollars into the sport, the sport loses it's integrity, because all the people with the money care about is making more.

People should become interested in mountain biking the same way we did, not because it's being pushed right under there noses.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
This is exactly what has doomed every sport that it's happened too. Once you get companies that are willing to put big dollars into the sport, the sport loses it's integrity, because all the people with the money care about is making more.

People should become interested in mountain biking the same way we did, not because it's being pushed right under there noses.
The only reason we have being able to get a shit load more MTB developments done is because the sport has gotten more mainstream.

Like it or not, with the sport becoming more popular, people will start bumping into feeds, maybe they've just started with the sport, or maybe it is the first they are hearing about the sport and decided to watch a bit of the DH stream to see what this "Down hilling" is all about, and I'm fairly sure, if they heard a drunk guy commentating and making borderline offensive jokes relating to things like rape or cocks or whatever, I'm fairly sure they'd lose interest in the sport and think "If this is a world level event, what are they like at the local/national level" and would proceed to find another sport to get in.

Yes, I agree he was a bit too toned down this one, he can make jokes and get a bit excited while commentating, but he needs to keep the politically incorrect jokes out of it.

You can be a good commentator without the need for acting super silly and making lots of potentially offensive jokes or borderline offensive jokes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I wasn't aware that Soccer, Cricket, Rugby Union, Tennis, Swimming, road cycling and all those other sports we see on TV were doomed.

The things you learn, eh?

The Fish

Likes Bikes
The only reason we have being able to get a shit load more MTB developments done is because the sport has gotten more mainstream.

Like it or not, with the sport becoming more popular, people will start bumping into feeds, maybe they've just started with the sport, or maybe it is the first they are hearing about the sport and decided to watch a bit of the DH stream to see what this "Down hilling" is all about, and I'm fairly sure, if they heard a drunk guy commentating and making borderline offensive jokes relating to things like rape or cocks or whatever, I'm fairly sure they'd lose interest in the sport and think "If this is a world level event, what are they like at the local/national level" and would proceed to find another sport to get in.

Yes, I agree he was a bit too toned down this one, he can make jokes and get a bit excited while commentating, but he needs to keep the politically incorrect jokes out of it.

You can be a good commentator without the need for acting super silly and making lots of potentially offensive jokes or borderline offensive jokes.
I agree about keeping things civilised, my humble opinion is that unprofessionalism turns non-diehards off and holds the sport back. The wc riders are incredible atheletes with skills and commitment, they deserve the biggest paycheques the sport can possibly give, so that means getting more people iterested. That means more tracks, better cheaper bikes, better events etc. just because corporations get involved doesnt mean the soul of dh is dead, look at surfing. It has a slick side that markets itself to the masses and pumps money into the system, and then you have hardcore surfers still doing what they want how they want, it hasnt changed the fundamentals of man on board on wave.