Do old fools train?

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I started to train for dh racing about a yr ago. Coming frm swim coaching i put together a periodised training prog where training 5 days wk and two days of dh. After about 4 months it became so boring and monotonous, really lost desire ti ride.
So i decided to just ride instead of training (sprints,intervals, overdistance etc) - have way more fun now and am riding better. Just go trail riding during wk (which bloody hard at moment due goddam rain) and ride dh all wkend.
Also found i enjoy dh much more when not racing - just trying ride fast with mates is where its at for me

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I guess you could say I train but in reality I just ride a bit and adjust the intensity and duration based on how I feel and what time I have to be home, and try to stretch as much as I can when I remember. The only time I feel like I'm really "Training" is when I'm in the garage on the trainer 'cos there ain't a whole lotta fond memories when you look back on those rides.

mtb1611

Seymour
Per week I average 2-3 road rides, one off-road sortie, 2 gym sessions and some beer. I also shave 5 times a week and do the nostril hairs every Wednesday.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Need to lose about 9kgs to get into practical 4X weight...

I do laps around the block and maintain maximum heart rate for about 5 minutes 3~4x a week, but the problem is... I can't help but eat lotsa carbs... bit unbalanced, but hell I'm burning teh calories...

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Need to lose about 9kgs to get into practical 4X weight...

I do laps around the block and maintain maximum heart rate for about 5 minutes 3~4x a week, but the problem is... I can't help but eat lotsa carbs... bit unbalanced, but hell I'm burning teh calories...
I used to be watching my carbs... then went and saw a sports dietitian who slapped me around the ears a bit about the 'low carb' nonsense. If you're training you need carbs - if you've got a training load of about 15+ hours a week then you should be eating about 7g / kg body weight per day. That is (literally) a sh*tload!

When I was eating lowish carb, I used to max out at around 200g of carbs a day... apparently when you do this for any extended period of time it puts your body in a 'starvation' mode so your metabolism slows right down and concentrates on coverting every skerrick of excess nutrient into stored fat...

Carbs good... :)

Porridge + Banana + Golden Syrup for brekky this morning - hard to resist the lure of the bacon and egg roll but it can be done :)

On her advice I switched to a much higher (350g+) carb diet which means that in effect I'm actually eating _lots_ more (no where near as many calories in high carb snack options as there are in low carb) but have lost about 5kg in 6 weeks and have increased threshold power by about 20W!

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Would be interested to see that.

As an ex-impersonal trainer, but still keen weight-trainer, I'd be keen to see what other weight-trainers are doing / proposing.
There is a book you should read:

"Weight Training for Cyclists", by Eric Schmitz and Ken Doyle, Velopress.

Heaps of stuff in there which is specific to mountainbiking and downhill. It's not about bulking up, it's about developing and strengthening your muscles so they don't fatigue while riding and giving you the ability to train harder, ride harder and avoid injury from reptition or crashing.

Do old fools train? No

Do old smart riders train? Fark yeah!

babington

Squid
Here's what I try to follow on a daily basis:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds some fruit, little starch no sugar. Keep intake levels that support exercise not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, Clean, Squat, C&J, Snatch. Master the basics of gymnastics: pull ups, dips, push ups, sit ups, rope climbs, presses to handstand, pirouettes, splits, flips and holds. Bike, run, swim, row etc hard and fast five or six days per week. Mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns creativity will allow, routine is the enemy! Keep the workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."

- Greg Glassman/founder of Crossfit

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Here's what I try to follow on a daily basis:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds some fruit, little starch no sugar. Keep intake levels that support exercise not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, Clean, Squat, C&J, Snatch. Master the basics of gymnastics: pull ups, dips, push ups, sit ups, rope climbs, presses to handstand, pirouettes, splits, flips and holds. Bike, run, swim, row etc hard and fast five or six days per week. Mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns creativity will allow, routine is the enemy! Keep the workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."

- Greg Glassman/founder of Crossfit
While all that looks great - it doesn't leave any time or energy for beer drinking and a bit of hanky-panky with your lover! You can quote me on that.

Balance is good! :eek:

babington

Squid
While all that looks great - it doesn't leave any time or energy for beer drinking and a bit of hanky-panky with your lover! You can quote me on that.

Balance is good! :eek:
Schucks... I shoulda emphasized the word TRY... besides who's got energy for hanky panky after 10 shuttles down Clear:p

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Schucks... I shoulda emphasized the word TRY... besides who's got energy for hanky panky after 10 shuttles down Clear:p
Ahhh yes, but remember I'm a young and fresh 39 year old, who can do ten runs down a mountain and still hank out some spanky ;)

Beechie

Banned
Training

From memory ......... a rapidly fading faculty at my age ......... training is what I do to get to work and back when the car is broke.
I like to be fair, not everyone has as much spare time, so I don't want to cheat the hard workers ..... so I play fair and no training!

dl79

Likes Dirt
I have found that mixing weights and trail riding during the week, with DH on the weekend to be a very productive training method. I believe there is no substitute for time on the bike, any bike. Riding my dirt jumper helps with skills and jumping, riding the trail bike helps with fitness/power and cornering. Riding those other styles has helped me improve my DH results and made me able to keep going all day to make the most of the time I have to ride.
Training=Yes, but only if it's fun

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
I used to catch a train does that count?

I really should start doing something. Ive been off work for 15 weeks this year by choice and have prob ridden DH 5 times in that time.

Im going to get changed right now and go for a XC ride :D I live 2 min ride from some good XC tracks :eek:

rocketrb

Likes Bikes
There's no way I could ride on the weekend without some legwork during the week.

Lifestyles are busy, so I squeeze in 30 min interval training indoors 4 days a week. Not exciting training but it WORKS......:cool: