Eating less f*cking food

For most people who aren't massively muscular, it's a good metric.
I've used an extreme example to illustrate a point however it is my opine that using weight as a lone metric is less helpful than using BMI which at least takes into account height.

One can be "skinny fat" where you may be under your preferred weigh but still be unhealthy with a high body fat %.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think weight is too simple a measure, sure it's convenient but having a weight of less than <insert number here> doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy or fit.

Your body weight is made up of fat, muscle, bone mass, water and some gross gooey stuff. You don't want to lose a percentage of all of those, just the bad shit ie fat.

So maybe you don't have to be hungry, maybe you just need to adjust your diet to not eat shit but still can be sated.

And your kgs can be whatever they are, if you are 105 kgs and 10% body fat you can save money on shirts (pants too perhaps).
This is god's own truth. Weight and BMI* are bad standards. Measurements like your pants size are much better. Just how you look in the mirror is a good one too (provided you are sensible in your goals and not prone to body dismorphia, or whatever it's called).

The point about the kind and rate of food you eat is strong too. I am lucky enough to do gym work in the evening just before dinner and I have a sitting job. So I don't really need high protein and neither do I need it constantly. Other, heavier lifestyles will, and that goes to adjusting the food that you eat rather than eating much less.

@Jabubu If you insist on eating cabonara, do it for lunch and eat the wraps at dinner. That's a big load of energy you're putting into yourself just as you drop energy outpit levels in the evening. Also, reduce the portion size by having a salad with it (you could also do with the fibre alongside such a carb-heavy meal!).

*BMI is not great, but it's suitable in some circumstances and more useful than just weight alone, which sits right next to useless!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I'm the opposite of @johnny - if I eat after 8pm I'm having a terrible night's sleep. The more/the later the worse it is, so I try to eat earlier. Finding the off-switch after the inital eating is the bit I need to practice.

Too true @steve jobs' pancreas - but these definitely aren't abdominals I'm packing! I'm not too stressed about what I weigh, but at least it's something I can measure without having to go for DEX (?) scans or whatever the gym-junkies froth.

@pink poodle - I'm not sure knocking out the 3-10 beers I have a year will make a world of difference, but for mose people - yep, great advice!

I just need to remove the junk food, pick some slightly less fatty/carb'd options to cook, and get a bit more active.
Terrible sleep for me is down to 3 kids who insist on waking up at all hours of the night
Less junk food and better food choices are the main ones I need to work on

Jabubu

let you google that for me
You work from home, but do the kids go to school nearby? Could you incorporate some incidental activity by riding/walking with them to school and back? On the leg of the journey where you are solo you can try to go as fast as you can. Ride to the shops instead of drive. In fact, ride or walk anywhere that is 5km or less away if you can. Each ride doesn't have to be Epic Gnar, just get that body moving more.

As for starting weight and goal weight. You could note your starting waist measurement and then again when you reach your goal.
Is that directed at me?

If so then yes my youngest's school is behind our house and I do walk there with her most mornings and afternoons. Also I walk the dogs about 1km most evenings.

Riding to the shops is a good idea but I'd need a spotter as secure parking is non-existent. I do ride to the post office though as I have a clear view of my bike and it's in a nicer area.

Too true @steve jobs' pancreas - but these definitely aren't abdominals I'm packing! I'm not too stressed about what I weigh, but at least it's something I can measure without having to go for DEX (?) scans or whatever the gym-junkies froth.
I was financial analyst in a previous life and in a lust for data I purchased a set of "smart" scales. They aren't scientifically accurate but they provide an indication and whether you are trending up or down.

You don't even need that, a tape measure around the gut will tell you if you are a fella coz that's where we start to carry the excess weight.

Myfitnesspal is a great way to get an awareness for how many kjs and what the macros are in food items, just be prepared for shock and disappointment.

I'm not advocating for making it complicated or difficult, I don't think that's necessary unless you want to be the next Liver King.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
This is god's own truth. Weight and BMI* are bad standards. Measurements like your pants size are much better. Just how you look in the mirror is a good one too (provided you are sensible in your goals and not prone to body dismorphia, or whatever it's called).

The point about the kind and rate of food you eat is strong too. I am lucky enough to do gym work in the evening just before dinner and I have a sitting job. So I don't really need high protein and neither do I need it constantly. Other, heavier lifestyles will, and that goes to adjusting the food that you eat rather than eating much less.

@Jabubu If you insist on eating cabonara, do it for lunch and eat the wraps at dinner. That's a big load of energy you're putting into yourself just as you drop energy output levels in the evening. Also, reduce the portion size by having a salad with it (you could also do with the fibre alongside such a carb-heavy meal!).

*BMI is not great, but it's suitable in some circumstances and more useful than just weight alone, which sits right next to useless!
I made the carbonara for everyone so it's easier if I abstain and have something else.

As soon as I put new batteries in the scales, I'll post up a starting weight, and a waist size.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Is that directed at me?

If so then yes my youngest's school is behind our house and I do walk there with her most mornings and afternoons. Also I walk the dogs about 1km most evenings.

Riding to the shops is a good idea but I'd need a spotter as secure parking is non-existent. I do ride to the post office though as I have a clear view of my bike and it's in a nicer area.
Yeah, sorry, that was a bit vague.

Cairns is like Ballarat with bike parking. "What you ridin' fo'?"

There's only one thing for it, new bike day!
But make it a cheap shitty thing that you don't mind locking up at the shops.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've noticed a positive difference by:

Substituting ice cream for natural greek yoghurt
Snacking on Sakada rice crackers and a jar of hot salsa
No-sugar coola cordial and crushed ice done in a magic bullet as a slushie rather than 4+ zooper doopers :D
Big glass of water just before dinner
Make sure i don't cave to food 30 minutes before dinner is cooked.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
One thing worth noting is the calories in booze. A standard drink is 10 grams of alcohol and at 7 Calories per gram it soon adds up.
1 gram carbs = 4 Calories
I gram protein = 4 Calories
1 gram alcohol = 7 Calories
1 gram fat = 9 Calories

scblack

Leucocholic
That's my challenge too. If I'm not careful I'll eat three meal's worth of food at dinner.
One thing that will help is to eat more slowly. Then the body's mechanism to tell you are full has time to kick in. If you wolf it down, the body wont have the chance to tell you its full.

One thing worth noting is the calories in booze. A standard drink is 10 grams of alcohol and at 7 Calories per gram it soon adds up.
1 gram carbs = 4 Calories
I gram protein = 4 Calories
1 gram alcohol = 7 Calories
1 gram fat = 9 Calories
Yeah ok, that's too far, I'm done. What's next ? A Zwift thread ?

Besides, isn't mass better for going down the downs ?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
One thing that will help is to eat more slowly. Then the body's mechanism to tell you are full has time to kick in. If you wolf it down, the body wont have the chance to tell you its full.
It also helps to wait for 15min or so after you eat your meal before going back for seconds as by then you most likely won't feel that you need it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Pfffffft just get a good lock and good insurance. If someone wants the bike bad enough they are going to get it or fuck it up trying. I've had both happen and it hasn't deterred me from riding to the shops (or anywhere else for that matter).

My greatest hurdles for food discipline are avoiding eating the food at work (which is generally not that healthy) and eating dinner around 10pm to 12am (long shifts and constantly on the move). Even when I'm not working I eat late, it helps feel like I'm a South American baller.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Pfffffft just get a good lock and good insurance. If someone wants the bike bad enough they are going to get it or fuck it up trying. I've had both happen and it hasn't deterred me from riding to the shops (or anywhere else for that matter).
I rode thought a railway station yesterday and a cheaper but still costly ebike was locked up there with a $15 curly cable combination lock FFS :rolleyes: