Eating less f*cking food

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Absolutely. Or not. This was a genuine diet a guy I knew at uni tried. He were a big boy anyway.
Have used the IIFYM and worked well, but is easy as i like using Excel so....
more for awareness of how much and what I wasn't eating (ie, too little fat/protein/salt)..

plus if i need icecream/cheescake to make up the macros at end of day.. so be it :cool:

startign with baseline BMR calc, Mifflin St Jeor https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html
https://www.jandonline.org/article/S0002-8223(05)00149-5/pdf (tldr MSJ is still bestest)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm here for it.

Hook in Hambo, and keep this in your mind: hunger is what getting thinner feels like.

You have to accept that you will feel hungry. Most people fail at this kind of stuff because they want to thin down but try and find ways that don't include sacrifice. Accept that you will feel hungry and that you're man enough to get through that without giving in to a little bit of discomfort. Feeling a bit hungry for a bit of the time isn't a bad thing, or a hard thing. And I tell you, when you look in the mirror and see what you want to see, it makes feeling a bit hungry a bit of the time pretty easy - the payoff is worth the discomfort.

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't eat before 5pm (many days it's 6:30pm as the day just gets away from you). And I tell as many people this as I can. This forces me into having to live up to my bragging as I don't want to look like a bullshitter and lose credibility with those around me. A public commitment can go a long way to guiding your actions.

Try and find little strategies like that which will suit you and help achieve your goals. @Halo1 put forward a really good one up the page that I also use, pair less eating with more saving: don't buy food when you're out, take your lunch with you and DO NOT buy anything between meals. Also, keep in the front of your mind that you're NOT going on a diet, your changing your eating habits. Diets come and go, and then so does the weight. Healthy eating habits are forever. (weekends are for small treats and Christmas is for splurging.)

I really enjoy the challenge of losing weight and keeping it down. I am a pretty big bloke but I've got myself down to size 34-36 waste and keep it there predominantly through eating habits As @Scotty T once told me "you only lose grams in the gym, but kilos in the kitchen". Hook in, mate. I'm here for the motivation and for the tough talk!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'm here for it.

Hook in Hambo, and keep this in your mind: hunger is what getting thinner feels like.

You have to accept that you will feel hungry. Most people fail at this kind of stuff because they want to thin down but try and find ways that don't include sacrifice. Accept that you will feel hungry and that you're man enough to get through that without giving in to a little bit of discomfort. Feeling a bit hungry for a bit of the time isn't a bad thing, or a hard thing. And I tell you, when you look in the mirror and see what you want to see, it makes feeling a bit hungry a bit of the time pretty easy - the payoff is worth the discomfort.

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't eat before 5pm (many days it's 6:30pm as the day just gets away from you). And I tell as many people this as I can. This forces me into having to live up to my bragging as I don't want to look like a bullshitter and lose credibility with those around me. A public commitment can go a long way to guiding your actions.

Try and find little strategies like that which will suit you and help achieve your goals. @Halo1 put forward a really good one up the page that I also use, pair less eating with more saving: don't buy food when you're out, take your lunch with you and DO NOT buy anything between meals. Also, keep in the front of your mind that you're NOT going on a diet, your changing your eating habits. Diets come and go, and then so does the weight. Healthy eating habits are forever. (weekends are for small treats and Christmas is for splurging.)

I really enjoy the challenge of losing weight and keeping it down. I am a pretty big bloke but I've got myself down to size 34-36 waist and keep it there predominantly through eating habits As @Scotty T once told me "you only lose grams in the gym, but kilos in the kitchen". Hook in, mate. I'm here for the motivation and for the tough talk!
Great post Johnny!

I work from home so food is always available so do need to be careful when it comes to snacking between meals. Chips and breads have been my main issue so instead I'm snacking on fruit.

Bring on the hunger :)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Carrots and celery are a delicious snack, once you get the hang of it.........

Anything home-grown will be a taste explosion compared to ANYTHING shop bought. If you can even get some pick and come again lettuces going, your tastebuds, and waist, will thank you.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Three meals a day, only one is allowed to contain bread (today I made an omelette without bread)
Fuck, you guys are still going stupid with your complex omelettes.
Christmas is for splurging.
It's not what you do between Christmas and New Year's that matters, it's what you do between New Years and Christmas.
Carrots and celery are a delicious snack, once you get the hang of it.........
Celery is not delicious, that's just the carrots compensating.

Strong will and favorable chance to you Hambo. The only thinsg I'll say is that it's much easier to not eat stuff you haven't bought and the desire to eat crap passes, you just have to wait it out.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Great post Johnny!

I work from home so food is always available so do need to be careful when it comes to snacking between meals. Chips and breads have been my main issue so instead I'm snacking on fruit.

Bring on the hunger :)
I won't lie, working from home makes it tough. I'm WFH two days per week and they are the ones with the most temptation. Try and keep your work station as far away from the kitchen as possible, so you've got as much time to talk yourself out of cheating on your way there! Don't keep the tempting items in the house - just don't buy them.

You've got to be careful with fruit, mate, it's not without its costs. Anything that is sweet has sugar in it - fruit is sweet. Bananas are surprisingly high in energy, so are apricots and some other fruits. Try substituting a few fruit snacks with veges like mini cucumbers, carrots, celery (hideous shit....), capsicum, mini tomatoes, etc. Dip in a little bit of hommus to give it some body - but don't over-do that either. Dont' fall into the trap of thinking that nuts are a great idea to constantly nibble on either, they are super-fucking full of fats and energy.

The more you dig into it the more you realise that there are very few, if any foods that don't come without some kind of cost. You quickly realise that you've just got to stop eating as much as you want to eat. And, when you do eat, you have to make sure that it's quality food (veges, lean meat, wholefoods, high fibre, etc.). But, for dinner last night, I had a large BBQ steak, a fucking gigantic bowl of this Asian salad my wife makes and a fistful of almonds at about 9pm. I loved every mouthful of it (fuck you, I had a spoonful of ice cream too, because I can!).

Jpez

Down on the left!
@johnny you said earlier you don’t eat until 5-6pm. How is that possible? I mean if I did that I’d bonk by lunch time and body and brain shuts down. Im naturally slim, guess I have a fast metabolism and have a pretty active job but am definitely suffering from a bit of muffin top too so I’m trying to adjust my eating as well but if I don’t keep the energy intake up I fade.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
are surprisingly high in energy,
@Jabubu 100% this. Consider how much energy you output (activity) in a day versus how much energy you input (food).

To expand a bit on my change of job, I went from burning calories just to get to work, running up and down a printing press and lifting/moving hundreds of kilos of paper, to sitting in a car for a minimum of three hours a day, plus while I am still on feet, it's nowhere as physical.

TL;DR ride your fucking bike more. Or at least go for a proper walk at night.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
@johnny you said earlier you don’t eat until 5-6pm. How is that possible? I mean if I did that I’d bonk by lunch time and body and brain shuts down. Im naturally slim, guess I have a fast metabolism and have a pretty active job but am definitely suffering from a bit of muffin top too so I’m trying to adjust my eating as well but if I don’t keep the energy intake up I fade.
I'm the same, been fairly skinny my whole life and have a fast metabolisim. But as I am now almost 50, keeping the love handles away seems to be getting more difficult.
I have cereal for breakfast, then by 10am smoko I'm starving, I have a banana, high protein yoghurt and a muesli bar, then by lunchtime I'm starving again, and I have a homemade ham and cheese, salad wrap and a muesli bar, then nothing until dinner time and nothing after dinner time.
I think that not eating after 6 to 7pm is a good plan as your digestive system slows down at night and you are not likely to be active to burn any excess calories off.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm the same, been fairly skinny my whole life and have a fast metabolisim. But as I am now almost 50, keeping the love handles away seems to be getting more difficult.
I have cereal for breakfast, then by 10am smoko I'm starving, I have a banana, high protein yoghurt and a muesli bar, then by lunchtime I'm starving again, and I have a homemade ham and cheese, salad wrap and a muesli bar, then nothing until dinner time and nothing after dinner time.
I think that not eating after 6 to 7pm is a good plan as your digestive system slows down at night and you are not likely to be active to burn any excess calories off.
Yeah I’ve been trying but a bit less than you.
I’ve definitely found that a lot of perceived hunger is mental. Boredom, stress, comfort eating. Went through a period of being unable to sleep. Got up ten times a night. Started waking up and my first thought was snack! I’d then raid my kids Halloween hoard. I’ve put a stop to that.
But making sure I tick off a couple thousand vert and 50-100km a week definitely helps burn the energy off.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, everyone is different and I don't think that it's a one-size-fits-all approach. We've all got to find what works for us.

I'm lucky, I don't get hangry and I can always pull energy out if I need it (rode 15km in the morning, worked the day and rode 15km home without eating. The last hill was a real effort, but doable). But, my job is very sedentary these days - the hardest thing I do is raise my desk to standing height! As I said, I'm naturally big, which means fat if I am lazy and bulky if I exercise. I don't know if that determines how my body and brain works without food. I get strong hunger around 11am and 2pm, but coffee helps with that as it's a natural hunger suppressant. I also have milk with my coffee because fuck the world.

My wife has been getting into all of the neuroscience around fasting, so happy to pass on her reading/pods if anyone is interested. I'm more focused on weight management than the psych benefits. But, apparently they are there.

@Jpez I didn't start from this point either. I did about a year or so not eating before midday on weekdays. That then started stretching to 1pm, including weekends and then one day I forgot to take my lunch to work. I refused to pay the prices the local eatery wanted for a schnitty roll, and through fuck it, I just won't eat. I was surprised that I was able to get through it without much fuss and had recently heard of others just doing one meal a day, so decided to give it a shot on weekedays. It worked just fine, the benefits were almost immediate and immense. So now I do it 7 days a week.

It's not without costs though. Family brunches at the local cafe on Sundays are not the same when I just drink coffee. There are some foods and eateries that I'll basically miss out on altogether. When a colleague is leaving the team and we go out for a farewell lunch, I'm just sitting at the table whilst everyone else eats (and it attracts attention). So it does change your life a little, but I reiterate, fuck the world, this is me and I like it.

Everyone's mileage will vary though, as will my judgements of you all from the towering heights of my self-declared moral high ground.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
10am smoko I'm starving, I have a banana, high protein yoghurt and a muesli bar,
That's a pretty high amount of energy there, mate. Muesli bars are not a healthy snack, they are usually full of sugar and heaps of carbs. Apples are good as they have a lot of soluble fibre, which helps you feel full and are excellent for your digestion. I'd prob try and ditch the banana and bar, and do the yoghurt and apple.

The other thing you can do is tell the huger to go fuck itself and wait for it to fade, which it will. As I said, I get ravenous at 11 and 2, but it fades in 30 mins and I'm good again. Hunger doesn't mean you actually have to eat.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have 2 mates that I see in trail building pictures with you ;)
They seem to be punching out some in the last few days.
Wow, stalker much? ;)

@johnny I'm good at giving that advice, less good at following it, and have to thank a mate for that quote who got really big then did a full shred on a protien diet. Of course he started eating normal again (I can't imagine my shits if most of what I ate was meat and fish) and is less shredded now.

Routine is a huge factor. Just getting in a routine of my fruit breakfast and salad lunch every day makes it really easy. Yeah yeah, fruit has sugar, so does ur mom! :D

My problem is beer. I stopped my routine of drinking beer during the week last year, has helped for sure, but I still like to chuck 'em down on the weekend, and then snacks because beer and snacks. All that goes directly on the paunch. Lo-carb beer? Sacrilege! In fact I have been dabbling with no-alc, so far only Bentspoke Freewheeler doesn't taste like bubbly wort. Also I heard lo-carb beer is bullshit because it's the alcohol that turns the carbs you eat into fat, not the carbs in the beer making you fat.

I have accidentally lost a few kilos in recent months, I was too often succumbing to the temptation of the lunch of champions, a fantastic lean salad topped with the oh-so-delicious hot chips from the work cafe but have curbed that now.

The thing about doing that was it not only added a carb-bomb, it increased the portion size massively. I've been doing smaller portions for ages, I struggle to go out and eat the typical massive serving sizes in eateries these days. Water is your friend when you feel hungry from reduced intake.

I don't take it too seriously though. I have a mate who is morbidly obese, his eating habits on top of serious medical (cancer) shit has seen him struggle for a good ten years. I start to really show the chunk at about 105, and 115 was my peak way back when I ate and drank like a rubbish truck, mate is M/L (I measure people in MTB sizes) and would be over 140, and 55 years old. I think most of us here are a fair way from that danger zone.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Are there any hummus alternatives? I find it as hideous as celery and cucumber!

Also I bought a 2l water bottle from Kmart to replace my smaller one, being Cairns you need to drink a lot anyway.

Lastly, I rarely drink so fortunately that's not too big an issue for me and going out is too expensive. My biggest weaknesses are giant bowls of pasta (often carbonara) and chips like Pringles, and of course larger general servings including finishing off the children's food (I hate waste!).