eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minlak

custom titis
Technology, you thank fucken science for this, thank science for what you ride now, just because you wanna put a blocker on it too suit you.. Like it or not.. It will leave you behind the way you blocked it.. You can be afraid... However nothing will stop the killjoy.
Is Bermshot back?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Technology, you thank fucken science for this, thank science for what you ride now, just because you wanna put a blocker on it too suit you.. Like it or not.. It will leave you behind the way you blocked it.. You can be afraid... However nothing will stop the killjoy.
Duuuuuude...the e stands for electric, lay of the pills.

This is a pretty good case for why comprehension should still be a measurable at school

John U

MTB Precision
That bloke on the e bike has been doing awesome in the track cycling. He keeps on pulling out a couple of laps before the finish though. Doesn't seem to stop him making the next round.

stirk

Burner
That bloke on the e bike has been doing awesome in the track cycling. He keeps on pulling out a couple of laps before the finish though. Doesn't seem to stop him making the next round.
Wierd racing format, batteries don't last the distance.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
*snigger* pulling out...before the finish.

PJO

in me vL comy
Worth a repost

A link to this article was posted by bikeyoulongtime in the recent closed e-bike thread:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/history-and-deception-opinion.html

It might have already been posted in this thread in the last hundred pages, but I thought it was worth a re-post because it is a good read.

I agree with the sentiment in the article that all e-bikes should be banned from all single track, doesn't matter if they are pedal assist or throttle, we can't let them gain a foothold or the tracks will end up trashed and closed.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A link to this article was posted by bikeyoulongtime in the recent closed e-bike thread:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/history-and-deception-opinion.html

It might have already been posted in this thread in the last hundred pages, but I thought it was worth a re-post because it is a good read.

I agree with the sentiment in the article that all e-bikes should be banned from all single track, doesn't matter if they are pedal assist or throttle, we can't let them gain a foothold or the tracks will end up trashed and closed.
That is a very good read and as the comments say, it's well written with points from both sides of the fence. Above all else though, E bikes are something manufacturers are choosing to make in the hope of selling more crap that mountain biking doesn't need.
I've said before that there is a place for E bikes for people who may not be as physical capable through an injury or disability and that rocks, get out there and enjoy mountain biking. If however, you're an able bodied organism...................ride your damn bike under your own power and fitness.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That is a very good read and as the comments say, it's well written with points from both sides of the fence. Above all else though, E bikes are something manufacturers are choosing to make in the hope of selling more crap that mountain biking doesn't need.
I've said before that there is a place for E bikes for people who may not be as physical capable through an injury or disability and that rocks, get out there and enjoy mountain biking. If however, you're an able bodied organism...................ride your damn bike under your own power and fitness.
But I'm not fit enough...

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Yep ban shuttles too....... up hill cheating and all.

aanon

Likes Dirt
I've said before that there is a place for E bikes for people who may not be as physical capable through an injury or disability and that rocks, get out there and enjoy mountain biking.
Or, god forbid . . . . . . . . . For fun.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Throwing another tin of unleaded onto the fire:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-e-bikes-are-good-for-the-sport-2017.html

IMO weak argument. Dozer has a better point, but my counterpoint is that there are literally thousands of kilometres of track in state forests that is wide open for motorised things. Go for it - I can guarantee your skills will be challenged. Take this beast for example: https://www.strava.com/activities/819508677 - totes legal on a pedal activated motorbike, fun, challenging, a fucking hoot, adventurous and within a weekend trip of a major city.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/do-we-really-need-e-bikes-opinion-2017.html

Better argument, because i agree with it :). Buy pedal-activated motorbikes all you like, and take them to the state forests :)

and finally, to top of the unleaded with some avgas:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-columns/over-a-beer-stop-asking-for-easy/

If all you're after is a containerised 'mountain biking experience' that doesn't include the hard parts, there are plenty of places in the world with lift assisted bike parks to move to. Or get zwift and some VR goggles ;)

golden path

Banned
Wow 20 backers on kickstarter for this monstrosity...warning can't be unseen

and URT is back as the latest suspension design
Shart.....looks like a 1998 Rotec downhill bike...the past is the future!

Whenever I think of the E-Bikes I think of Astroboy.

Mid fight - "Oh no, my energy's running out!" And falls to the ground with a clunk!

Imagine that mid ride. Then you've got to pedal all that extra weight along on a trail. Or I guess you could call for an emergency evac or battery drop via drone.

Or something.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Imagine that mid ride. Then you've got to pedal all that extra weight along on a trail. Or I guess you could call for an emergency evac or battery drop via drone.

Or something.
I guess it evens it out, first 1/2 is a breeze and the way back is grinder.
An out and back ride is always more hilly, hotter and just plain tougher on the way back - just an unwritten law of biking.

What's the reason people don't like E-MTB's again?

I'm genuinely asking.

To me, you don't use the electric motor going downhill, it would only be used for the uphill/transition sections. Isn't the whole point to be able to do more of the fun stuff? It'd be like going to the snow and having no chairlift.

One mans way of thinking.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
To me, you don't use the electric motor going downhill, it would only be used for the uphill/transition sections. Isn't the whole point to be able to do more of the fun stuff? It'd be like going to the snow and having no chairlift.
I haven't used one but have a friends that has toyed with the idea and put a bolt-on motor onto an SC V10.
Apparently jumping uphills is a load of fun. I think they could be good leveler for for taking Mrs out for ride with you.

When I'm old and my knees give out then I'm going for one of these. No Gopher for me. Until then I'm fine to pedal.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't used one but have a friends that has toyed with the idea and put a bolt-on motor onto an SC V10.
Unfortunately I have seen a V10 with a motor bolted onto it. The battery pack was lipo in a camlebak, with leads connecting to the battery.
Ever seen those pics of an iphone burn after crashing? Yeah, I thought that, but my "feedback" wasn't welcome.

My take is that they are under regulated, especially seeing some of the "custom" ones getting about. Most are illegal for on road use, but that is where they offer the most benefit.
I have also encountered the 'tourist effect' on trails - where the ebiker (rental car driver) can go fast in a straight line, but can't corner for $hit. This isn't because they don't know the trails, but because they don't feel the immediate effect on them they don't learn to ride smoother.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
You don't shuttle up the trails....
Depends were you are. In years gone bye we shuttled some pretty rugged fireroads at speed in 4wds. But that isn't really the point.

People are claiming that ebikes will blow out trails but the same could be said for any track that rolls downhill. As for speed I dont see that many riders decending at great speeds most are on the brakes and scared. Those same scared riders wont suddenly climb at 40kmh because they won't have the skills to support it.

Maybe the mtb community could go back to riding technical singletrack which would render bulk speed from a ebike useless and they would be used purely as an assist.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Unfortunately I have seen a V10 with a motor bolted onto it. The battery pack was lipo in a camlebak, with leads connecting to the battery.
Ever seen those pics of an iphone burn after crashing? Yeah, I thought that, but my "feedback" wasn't welcome.
The one I'm referring to is a bolt-on kit. The battery sits on the downtube or water bottle from memory adding weight lower down but. The problem is that the motor generates bit too much torque coupled with the weight and fractures the mounts. The MTB bumpiness wouldn't help the electrics either. I think it still early days for these now.

I wouldn't want any battery strapped to my back if you have an off and do a Galaxy 7 note impersonation.

My take is that they are under regulated, especially seeing some of the "custom" ones getting about. Most are illegal for on road use, but that is where they offer the most benefit.
I have also encountered the 'tourist effect' on trails - where the ebiker (rental car driver) can go fast in a straight line, but can't corner for $hit. This isn't because they don't know the trails, but because they don't feel the immediate effect on them they don't learn to ride smoother.
I think they are limited on the motor output size. How you would police that is anyone's guess. For good or bad they will have to co-exist and they won't be going away. Having a bit of electric assistance for hills is one thing while having a full on BSO powered by batteries is another.

I agree with the tourist effect. People seem to want to get out and see far away places with minimal effort or discomfort. Sadly reminds me of those high end SUV commercials with the marketable family seeing a rainforest while strapped into nappa leather seats with dual zone A/C.

I both prefer the e-bike to the 2 stroke bogan bicycles after said rider has lost license to drive their Falcadore due to a DUI conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.