eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah I'd forgotten about it until I got the email notification someone had bumped it up.
I'll be on my way now.
Good on you for remaining calm and articulating your perspective on your choice to ride ebikes in spite of a lot of e-bashing. This thread needs more posts from people who actually ride them.

nickg78

Likes Dirt
Yep, you're a snob.
I alternate between my ebikes, dirt bike and supersport motorcycle. If it's got 2 wheels it's all good in my books.
The thing is, all your bikes are motorised, its not mountain biking. I eat food to power my bike (and fart when I need turbo boost).

Last edited:
The EU have been working on eBike standards for a while now, with this coming through as the latest update for the higher speed class of s-pedelecs (up to 45km/h): http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...oval-for-speed-e-bikes-now-effective-10125384

In effect, it means they'll be subject to type-approval, which is a more stringent set of standards that are closer in operation to motorcycle regulation compared to the lower spec 25km/h regulated eBikes.

At some point, expect to see offroad ebikes conforming to the s-pedelec standard and they'll eventually find their way to our part of the world. The Bultaco Brinco is one such example that are working to alignment with the L1e-B standard. Personally, I love the look of them and think they'd be a hoot to ride. At least they're working to align themselves with the EU standards from the start. But it will likely also mean MTB trail contention, which this thread clearly shows is still a very live issue.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one, as an early 90s MTB racer and (more recently) eBike owner/dealer.
I think it looks like shit and can't see the point in me riding one

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing is, all your bikes are motorised, its not mountain biking. I eat food to power my bike (and fart when I need turbo boost).
Yep - Mountain bikers have worked very hard to get the trail access we have, including achieving a separation in the eyes of landholders between trail / dirt bikes and mountain bikes. I've been to consultations where landowners have been shown the "damage mountain bikes cause" in the form of uphill roost tracks - set things back 12 months.

The Levo, Focus Squared and similar bikes do blur the line a lot, but then there are bikes (I include the stealth and the others mentioned above, along with some of the home made death traps I've seen) that are a long way over the wrong side of the line. The main concern I have is trail access when someone can ride a 1500W+ motorised bike and, in the eyes of the land owners, it is a MTB.

Hyena

Likes Bikes
The thing is, all your bikes are motorised, its not mountain biking.
What ever label you care to attach to it, it's something I enjoy!

I eat food to power my bike (and fart when I need turbo boost).
Interesting related story, a few people I know rode their street legal 250w pedal assist ebikes on an adventure all the way from Perth to Sydney. Even with the ebikes taking some load off, the amount of food they needed to eat to keep up their energy was huge relative to the power requirements of the bike. The human body is not a terribly efficient energy producing machine.

Yep - Mountain bikers have worked very hard to get the trail access we have, including achieving a separation in the eyes of landholders between trail / dirt bikes and mountain bikes. I've been to consultations where landowners have been shown the "damage mountain bikes cause" in the form of uphill roost tracks - set things back 12 months.
Yeah I can appreciate that. I dont think I've knowingly ever ridden in places like that, most of where I ride is either scrub crown/bush land or national parks where if we're honest the trails are probably illegal no matter what sort of bike you ride on them!

in the eyes of the land owners
Who are these land owners generally ?
That's a genuine question - like is it private property or designated aboriginal land or what ?

If I ever see an able bodied person on one of these on the trails, Imma laugh.
Probably half the people I've hooked up with ebike gear have been pensioner aged with blown out knees, heart conditions etc. A true 200w is pathetic and won't pull the skin off a custard so they need at least 1000w to meaningfully help them up proper hills. These people are only riding simple fire trails and I think it's nice that they get an opportunity to keep riding when the alternative is to never do it again.

Wait, I was leaving wasn't I...

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who are these land owners generally ?
That's a genuine question - like is it private property or designated aboriginal land or what ?
Local and state government generally. Some private owners, some scout (community group, effectively private) owned land.
I don't play in this space anymore.

I can respect your statement that you don't intend to ride the trails that many on here (not me recently) spend a lot of time getting access to.
But in the same post you make a generalisation about how the bikes are being used by the e-bike owners.

nickg78

Likes Dirt
What ever label you care to attach to it, it's something I enjoy!
Not sure why you are on a mountain biking forum, you sell and ride motorised bikes.
Surely there is an e bike forum with more like minded people.
After reading you older posts I can see you are just a troll,

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Probably half the people I've hooked up with ebike gear have been pensioner aged with blown out knees, heart conditions etc. A true 200w is pathetic and won't pull the skin off a custard so they need at least 1000w to meaningfully help them up proper hills. These people are only riding simple fire trails and I think it's nice that they get an opportunity to keep riding when the alternative is to never do it again.
Sorry mate absolute crap. I've ridden 250, 500, 750 and 3.5kW e bikes. 250 is a pretty big assist, 500 is plenty, 750 is a lot and well beyond human ability, even at peak load. 700W is like max continuous (30sec) power for a pro sprinter.

[video=youtube;S4O5voOCqAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ[/video]

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Ye gods people how hard is it?

electric motor = take it out to state forests / crown land and go nuts on fire trails. There are a lot of them, they can actually be fun enough to even ride on a human powered bike, and everyone out there will think you're the duck's nuts with your super electric machine.