eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok you add a couple more reasons why a racer or trail builder might enjoy an e-bike but wouldn't a Segway be more fun?
Maybe, never tried a segway but look forward to the unicycle segway evolution. Cant imagine a rock fest with 2 wheels side by side...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was surprised when a work buddy said his road riding (bicycle) pals were fast as fck and road racers (moto) also. Troy herfoss comes to mind, asbk, super moto, dirt track champion.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
yes yes they all grew up racing flat track/mx and whatnot. mick doohan's got his own track too.

It was a dig at the local lads throwing lycra on and burnin around the bush on tiny hardtails, and not rocking the moto look DH/endurbro wants.

@ozzybmx, don't do it man, the inventor of segway died in an offroad segway accident!!!!!!!!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
You're only as old as the woman you're feeling.
Cool, I'm 52.

I'm in at the age of 50, so 2 years to wait.
It seems that the generally accepted and reasonable reason for older people to buy an ebike is to extend riding time into older age by assisting with the climbs. Now I know I’m still a pup at 61, but to me, the climbs is not where I’ve had to modify my riding style as I age. OK I’m slower on the climbs, but they still get climbed. Obviously heart attacks and strokes aside, if you do the climb yourself, it’s probably going to be better for your health, than if you use a motor. But the area of riding that does significantly change with old age is risk aversion due to trail features like jumps, drops, ledges, rock gardens, root staircases, etc. As I age, I still jump some stuff, but often choose to not ride the super risky stuff. My body is already toast and I want to ride as long as possible into old age, so for real hard stuff I either B line or walk stuff that up until recently, I had ridden. I can’t see riding a super heavy 20+kg ebike helping here. If you are that old and frail you can’t climb, I’d say that you can’t do anything too risky either. Rail trail here we come.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Yes you did.

Yes you do.

Well at least you won’t feel left out given your membership in the condescending wankers club.

Feel free to carry on without me caring what you say next.
Lol. You're the club president so thanks for confirming my membership (finally!)..

There's no comparisons being made, I'm making an observation.

People on here jizz over the latest OneUp tool, fox 36 push coil kit, carbon Pivot, super boost Yeti, Banshee 29er build. But as soon as someone says an ebike goes alright everyone shits on their real world experience.

This is what I find hard to comprehend. It's definitely a culture thing around here. I'm not an advocate for silly stealth bomber ebikes but proper pedal assist rigs like the hai bike, levo, merida, nicolai, rocky etc are clearly awesome.

Anyone that thinks undeserving lazy fat people ride ebikes to cheat climbing should also reconsider that thought for every single person that has ridden shuttles. In fact, if you're riding shuttles right now then you should feel ashamed that you're enjoying yourself and apparently causing less trail damage than ebikes, making you exempt from contributing to trail maintenance (*95% of you).

Because only ebikes cause trail damage and only ebike riders skimp on trail maintenance. What a crock.

*data collected from kiss my ass.

Jpez

Down on the left!
People on here jizz over the latest OneUp tool, fox 36 push coil kit, carbon Pivot, super boost Yeti, Banshee 29er build. But as soon as someone says an ebike goes alright everyone shits on their real world experience.
Because it’s a MOUNTAIN BIKE forum. NOT an Ebike forum. Pretty simple really.

Why are Ebike enthusiasts so defensive?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sometimes wonder who these people are, if they are real people easily pushed too far e.g. golden path types, or just e-personas.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In fact, if you're riding shuttles right now then you should feel ashamed
Its like 12:15am dude...some of us are just winding down for the night. Not me though! I'm actually putting on the kit and heading out for a few shuttle assisted runs...going to be sick shredding the gnar dooooooooooood. I'd invite you but I suspect you're in bed cuddling a pillow.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Because it’s a MOUNTAIN BIKE forum. NOT an Ebike forum. Pretty simple really.

Why are Ebike enthusiasts so defensive?
I'm in here trolling with actual topic variables. You have.. "it's a mountain bike forum" .. With nothing else? Which looks a little more desperate and defensive to be honest.

So assuming you belong to the resistance party. .. For all intent and purposes, the type of ebikes I'm referring to are mountain bikes. Just like saying a bmx is not a mountain bike which would be accurate (it's still a bike but rides in a different category which is fair enough).

A Rocky Mountain Powerplay is a mountain ebike which belongs to a sub category of xc, dh, enduro. That's literally what it's for though. Mountains. It's a bike. With an assist motor. Its ride characteristics are so close to a regular non assist Altitude, you'd be mistaken you were on a 20kg ebike (unless you're still riding an early Zerode.. Then it'd probably feel exactly the same). It shares the exact same components, brakes, drive train, cockpit, wheels, tyres, tools etc. It's rider wears the exact same clothing and protective gear helmet, shoes, knee pads, gloves, etc. And.. It rides specifically on the exact same trails, climbs, descents, jumps, etc.. Not somewhere special like a MX specific track.

So to address your assumed hypothesis that this a mountain bike specific forum and therefore ebikes have no place here would be untrue because in fact a Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay is ridden by the same person sitting next to you in your fancy "mountain bike only" resistance club which shares the same tech and culture you so dearly cherish and defend.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Its like 12:15am dude...some of us are just winding down for the night. Not me though! I'm actually putting on the kit and heading out for a few shuttle assisted runs...going to be sick shredding the gnar dooooooooooood. I'd invite you but I suspect you're in bed cuddling a pillow.
Cuddling ya mum In true poodle fashion.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm in here trolling with actual topic variables. You have.. "it's a mountain bike forum" .. With nothing else? Which looks a little more desperate and defensive to be honest.
I started to type a reply then realised, I can’t be bothered.....

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Wow things go pear shaped pretty quickly around here.

Here's a thought. Maybe they should start a sub forum / section here for eMTBs. Might take a while to develop but I'm sure within 12 to 24 months we will see many more of these.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Cool, I'm 52.

It seems that the generally accepted and reasonable reason for older people to buy an ebike is to extend riding time into older age by assisting with the climbs. Now I know I’m still a pup at 61, but to me, the climbs is not where I’ve had to modify my riding style as I age. OK I’m slower on the climbs, but they still get climbed. Obviously heart attacks and strokes aside, if you do the climb yourself, it’s probably going to be better for your health, than if you use a motor. But the area of riding that does significantly change with old age is risk aversion due to trail features like jumps, drops, ledges, rock gardens, root staircases, etc. As I age, I still jump some stuff, but often choose to not ride the super risky stuff. My body is already toast and I want to ride as long as possible into old age, so for real hard stuff I either B line or walk stuff that up until recently, I had ridden. I can’t see riding a super heavy 20+kg ebike helping here. If you are that old and frail you can’t climb, I’d say that you can’t do anything too risky either. Rail trail here we come.
If you ride rail trail into your 80's, that can only be a good thing. One only needs to go look around a nursing home.....

I often joke, if I'm in my twilight years, terminal with some disease, strap me to a downhill bike and let me go out in style on a road gap.

You're dead right about where the risk is, if you can't handle the gnar on a 14kg bike, no way when your older can you jump a 24kg bike and not be a dead soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.